April 2012 Moms

Okay, I need my freaking Nasonex. vent

After telling me at my pre-conception conference that it was okay to use while pregnant, my doctor later told me I should stop using it. All was fine for awhile, but now I feel like my nasal membranes are swollen all the time, now my chest feels tight, and I can't exactly cart my damn Neti Pot around with me 24/7.

She did say something about "at least for the first trimester," so ***hopefully*** when I see her next week she will tell me I can use it again.

When she told me to stop using it, I asked her which was better, the Nasonex or taking Benadryl everyday, and she was like "hmm.. neither." lol. I need something, though. I've tried other allergy meds, and those are the only two things that work for me.

Re: Okay, I need my freaking Nasonex. vent

• My Dr said Claritin is ok. The regular kind, not the Claritin D.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageImThisBabysMom:
    My Dr said Claritin is ok. The regular kind, not the Claritin D.

I tried that when it first came on the market, but it didn't work for me. :(

• Loading the player...
  • My doc (well, her NP) totally ok'd Nasonex, even in 1st tri.  Giv'er.  I know that pain, especially because apparently being PG makes it worse.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've been using Afrin....not sure it's quite okay but I've been desperate....
    image Visit The Nest!
  • Regular Claritin does NOTHING for nasal swelling. Hence why the D is used for it. Hopefully you can use the Nasonex again. I am going to ask my Dr about it too because my nose is driving me crazy!

Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Boo. That stinks. PG makes my allergies a million times worse so I'm all sorts of stuffed up and runny. Luckily I can get by with Zyrtec. Sorry. :(
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • My ENT told me the Nasonex was ok starting in 2nd tri.  Hopefully yours does too!  I've been keeping it at bay with claritin and Afrin (so bad, but I need to breathe!).  Now that I can add the Nasonex back, I'm going to drop the Afrin. 

I use a Neti Pot too sometimes, but it isn't really effective if my nose is so clogged that the water can't get through.  Am I doing something wrong?? 

Ethan Ryan 7/29/2006 Jack William 10/12/2009 Baby #3 4/20/2012
  • My doctor gaveme the go ahead last week to start taking claritan again now that we are in the second trimester! I was BEYOND excited!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My soc OK'd my Astelin and nasonex even in first tri. I get sinus infections often and he said the sinus infection would be worse for the baby than meds. I've been able to go with both of them for the moat part though, I use my neti pot every night without fail even if I don't feel stuffed up. It has helped immensely.
    Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Okay, I couldn't wait until next week, so I went ahead and called, and the nurse said it was fine and that I could go ahead and start using it and then discuss further it w/ my OB next week. Hallelujah!

Irish - sometimes you have to use the Neti pot several times in a row (like 1 hr apart) if your sinuses are really blocked because it can take awhile for things to loosen up. I've had to do that when I had a cold. Right now, it's not so much blocked up as it is feeling like the membranes are all swollen. I know some of that just comes w/ the territory when you're pregnant, but I already had issues with it even when I wasn't pregnant!

• I have horrible problems with my sinuses.  One of my first pregnancy symptoms is feeling like my membranes are super swollen. 

I'll have to remember that with the Neti Pot.  I usually just give up because it seems so ineffective.  Thanks!!  :)

Ethan Ryan 7/29/2006 Jack William 10/12/2009 Baby #3 4/20/2012
  • Former Afrin addict here.  So I know all about nasal swelling.

I hate to say it, but it might just be something that you'll have to let run its course.  Your body may at this point be addicted to the Nasonex and may get better the longer you are off the "stuff". 

In the meantime, try the extra strength Breathe Right strips!  They rule!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • imagedixee.deluxe:

I didn't know they made extra-strength! When I tried the regular ones, I thought "man, I must need industrial strength ones of these or something!" lol. I also need them wide enough to stick more onto my cheek area instead of right beside my nose. I can get some relief if I spread using my fingers, but those regular strips did nothing for me.

• imageTambcat:
    imagedixee.deluxe:

I didn't know they made extra-strength! When I tried the regular ones, I thought "man, I must need industrial strength ones of these or something!" lol. I also need them wide enough to stick more onto my cheek area instead of right beside my nose. I can get some relief if I spread using my fingers, but those regular strips did nothing for me.

I feel ya!  You might as well tape some string to your nose if you're going to use the regular ones.  They make industrial strength ones that have 3 or so of the plastic strips in them so they REALLY pull your nostrils open.  I believe they are also longer.  Set them higher up on your nose so they do go out kind of to your cheek.  They are glorious. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • That sounds so much better. I need to try those. Sometimes I need something extra at night even WITH my nasonex. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"