April 2012 Moms

If you're NOT getting a flu shot...share, please :)

OK let me start off by saying I know all those in favor of or those who have gotten a flu shot.  I have read in detail the benefits of it.  I still am not sold on getting one, as I've never had one before and have had the flu maybe twice.  If you are choosing NOT to get a flu shot, would you mind sharing your reasons?  TIA

Re: If you're NOT getting a flu shot...share, please :)

• I asked this question a little ways back.....well probably a long ways back on the board now.

I remember some people having bad reactions to it or allergies so they can't take it. Some people also are not comfortable putting chemicals into their bodies they said.

I'm sure some of them will come back and elaborate on those things. But those are a couple that explained it to me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a really bad reaction last time I got it a couple of years ago. If not for that, I would definitely be getting it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have allergies to it and I see it as a waste of money and effort because it mutates too fast for the vaccines to be effective. 

Also from my research, I suggest you do your own, vitamin D3 seems to really help the body naturally keep it at bay.

Hand washing and being aware of who you're around and reminding people to cover their coughs and sneezes have always worked for me. 

• I had one last year around this time, and I promise you, I could not get off of my couch. It was like I had a huge weight sitting on my whole body. Worse feeling in the world. I plan on taking plenty of Vitamin C, and dressing for the weather and avoiding children & their boogers.
  • I'm not getting one- mostly because my doctor hasn't said anything about it. If they told me I really needed it I'd get it, but meh. I don't think I've ever had the flu really so it doesn't worry me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
  • Before being pregnant, I got a flu shot once and it made me feel awful for a couple days.  Since then I never got one and never got the flu.

My Dr's office recommended that I get one and after doing some research, I decided it would be better for the baby so I got one with no adverse effects.

DD Born 5.9.12

MC March 2016@8.5w

Expecting #2 4/30/17

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I got one flu shot and had a bad reaction to it.  The night after getting it, I felt feverish and was trembling and shaking really bad. I also broke into a cold sweat.  It only lasted for one night and then went away, I didn't get sick at all that year, but when I saw my doctor and told him about it, he told me that at my age I don't need to get it anyway and if it caused a reaction like that, I should stay away from it!  Now that' I'm pregnant, I'm debating on getting it as it has been 2 years and the symptoms went away quickly.  If it is whats best for baby and to help me from getting sick and ending up in the hospital, then I'll do it, but I'm still weighing my options.  My OB really wants me to do it, but I just don't know yet.
  • Let me just say this, you can NOT get the flu from the flu shot. NEVER EVER. You can disagree all you want, but it is impossible. The flu shot is INACTIVATED flu strain. If you got sick "from the flu shot" then you were sick before you got it. If you had a reaction, then that's different, but for those who think they caught the flu from the shot. You didn't. **Hops off my medical high horse**
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • I'll get one if my MW recommends it but so far she hasn't.  I've never used to get them but since I've been in nursing school and have clinicals in the hospital, I've been getting them.  Some of the hospitals said that if I didn't get one I'd have to wear a mask for the 3 or 4 months of flu season.  I don't have feelings one way or the other.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imageLuvmy2sons:
    Let me just say this, you can NOT get the flu from the flu shot. NEVER EVER. You can disagree all you want, but it is impossible. The flu shot is INACTIVATED flu strain. If you got sick "from the flu shot" then you were sick before you got it. If you had a reaction, then that's different, but for those who think they caught the flu from the shot. You didn't. **Hops off my medical high horse**

Can I hop on for a sec? What is dressing for the weather going to do? That has nothing to do with getting the flu. And saying you are going to be aware of who you are around? Really? If people actively have the flu, I doubt they are out galavanting, purposefully getting people sick. I would guess you are getting it from people who either a) don't yet know that they are sick or b) have touched something that you eventually touch, like if you are at the mall or something  

• i'm not getting it.  im trying to keep this pregnancy natural...(so far :)

Also, i have never had the flu shot in my life and i think there are risks to either side, so ultimately it's up to you.

• I never get a flu shot, reason is I don't always get the flu.  I actually just am getting over the flu now, I was getting sick last wednesday.  I just rested for a couple/few days and took tylenol, drank tea, orange juice, and hot bathes.  Hubby took care of me while I rested.   I have never gotten a flu shot, and to be honest, there are other flus out there then the they are giving you, so it increases the chance you won't get the flu, but you can still get the flu even with the shot if its a different strain of influenza. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemetucker:

imageLuvmy2sons:
    Let me just say this, you can NOT get the flu from the flu shot. NEVER EVER. You can disagree all you want, but it is impossible. The flu shot is INACTIVATED flu strain. If you got sick "from the flu shot" then you were sick before you got it. If you had a reaction, then that's different, but for those who think they caught the flu from the shot. You didn't. **Hops off my medical high horse**

Can I hop on for a sec? What is dressing for the weather going to do? That has nothing to do with getting the flu. And saying you are going to be aware of who you are around? Really? If people actively have the flu, I doubt they are out galavanting, purposefully getting people sick. I would guess you are getting it from people who either a) don't yet know that they are sick or b) have touched something that you eventually touch, like if you are at the mall or something  

I think they meant with a hazmat suit.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • I can't believe this is such an agonizing decision for some people. It gets a lot harder from here, folks!
  • I am not getting the flu shot is because every time I get the flu shoot i get the FLU!!.  I cant stand getting the flu.  It doesnt seem to matter whats going on i always get the flu with the shot.  
    April 10 IUI BFN Sept 10 IUI BRN Feb 11 IVF hoping for a BFP! Feb 27 ER 28 eggs Mar 4 8 health eggs, 2 ET Mar 17 - Beta 180!! BFP!!! Mar 21 - Beta 1295!! holy cow what a jump Coming soon 1st Sono March 30!!! Crossing fingers for healthy stick bean(s) Mar 29 miscarry :( 6w 3d 2nd IVF July 2011 BFP July 2011 M/C 11/11/11 hate to say good bye again! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 3rd IVF 4/3/12 ER 46 eggs (holly cow batman) 40 mature, 36 fertilized 4/8/12 ET 2 AB put back 4/10/12 15 make it to FREEZE 4/22/12 Beta BFN 1st FET 6/7/12 Day we are going to put back 2. 6/21/12 BFP 1285 6/25/12 4780 I hope this time they stick!! Deaglan William welcome. My rainbow is finally here February 7, 2013
  • imagekrissywave:
    I am not getting the flu shot is because every time I get the flu shoot i get the FLU!!.  I cant stand getting the flu.  It doesnt seem to matter whats going on i always get the flu with the shot.  

Negative ghost rider

i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • For the people afraid of the flu shot: do you plan on immunizing your baby? I am shocked that there is so much misinformation about the flu shot out there! JEEZ!! I have to be blunt here. If you choose not to get the flu shot you are not doing everything to keep your baby safe. You all seem very invested in your pregnancies but for some reason you are willing to risk pre-term labor and your baby's health?! I just don't get it!!! If you haven't gotten the flu before then you are lucky but you might not be as lucky with a compromised immune system. Protect yourself and your babies: GET THE FLU SHOT.

Sad story: my cousin went in to pre-term labor at 23 weeks caused by the flu last year and her baby didn't make it. The doctor said it would have been prevented by the flu shot (he shouldn't have told her this after the fact because she blames herself).  

• I am so sick of all the crap scare tactics....LET PEOPLE MAKE THEIR OWN CHOICE AND STOP SHOVING IT DOWN THEIR THROATS! 

Each woman knows what's best for her and her baby and even if we don't agree, we should all respect each other's choices! Simple as that!

I honestly can't believe you're so misinformed because getting the flu shot doesn't 100% protect you and your baby against the flu...There are many views and it's up to each mother to do her own research and do what she feels is best.

I'm sorry but there's a lot of medications out there to stop pre-term labor and to use that as a scare tactic is disgusting! I'm a high risk for pre-term labor because I had a LEEP in 2008...getting a flu shot has nothing to do with my cervix!  Maybe that doctor was saying that because they could have done more for her but didn't want to take the blame...

• imageMotherMonster:

I am so sick of all the crap scare tactics....LET PEOPLE MAKE THEIR OWN CHOICE AND STOP SHOVING IT DOWN THEIR THROATS! 

Each woman knows what's best for her and her baby and even if we don't agree, we should all respect each other's choices! Simple as that!

I honestly can't believe you're so misinformed because getting the flu shot doesn't 100% protect you and your baby against the flu...There are many views and it's up to each mother to do her own research and do what she feels is best.

I'm sorry but there's a lot of medications out there to stop pre-term labor and to use that as a scare tactic is disgusting! I'm a high risk for pre-term labor because I had a LEEP in 2008...getting a flu shot has nothing to do with my cervix!  Maybe that doctor was saying that because they could have done more for her but didn't want to take the blame...

1) We all know that a flu shot doesn't 100% protect you, but any additional protection with a significantly compromised immune system IS doing the best thing for your baby.

2) It is just childish to be so anti-vaccine (one of the most amazing and important medical advancements in the history of medicine) but still believe so wholly in the fact that if you go in to pre-term labor that the doctors can stop it. NO, sometimes they can't stop it. Once you uterus starts contracting your body starts making hormones to ripen and open your cervix. Sometimes it can be stopped, but sometimes it cannot. And when it cannot, and that baby is very young, the baby dies. That's not scare tactics, that's medical fact.

Getting a flu shot may not do anything to your cervix, but getting a virus that your body has to fight off with a suppressed immune system may disrupt your body enough to think it cannot survive and keep growing a baby, so it prioritizes. And your body chooses Number One in a life and death situation and will try to get rid of the baby. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Something doesn't have to be 100% to be a good measure to take. It's better than 0%.
  • imageMotherMonster:

I am so sick of all the crap scare tactics....LET PEOPLE MAKE THEIR OWN CHOICE AND STOP SHOVING IT DOWN THEIR THROATS! 

I feel totally differently. When it comes to your health and the health of your child your doctor knows what is best for you, you really don't know an iota of what they do about your health. If my OB tells me to get a flu shot, I will do it. If they tell me to ease up on work, I will do it. Don't make a MEDICAL decision based on pseudo science. There is NO scientific/medical reason that women shouldn't protect themselves from the flu by getting a flu shot. And BTW what the heck are you trying to say? My cousin got the flu which resulted in pnemonia. She was in the hospital for 3 days before she went in to pre-term labor. She was on PLENTY of drugs to stop the labor but her body wasn't strong enough. Also, your cervix isn't the only factor when it comes to pre-term labor, you might want to research this as well. The flu KILLS women and their unborn babies. Maybe if something like this happened to someone you cared about you would feel similarly and I would hope that you would understand that this made a huge impact on me. I posted on this board in the hopes that other people won't make the mistake of not protecting their babies.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"