Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Concerned..what would you do?

DS has been on Similac Sensitive - Target Brand for a month now.  He had some issues with constipation and his ped just doesn't seem concerned. DS was acting like he was in pain while having a bowel movement.  So, i started putting a tiny bit more water in his bottles to try to help things out.  Well it seemed to help and his poops didn't seem quite as solid.  This week i decided to mix as directed again 2 ounces to 1 even scoop.  Well last night he had a tiny solid poop in his diaper and this morning he had a little bit bigger solid poop.  I'm a FTM, but i've never seen a baby poop solid before and it's worrying me.  It's not hard, but solid (similar to a normal adult poop only smaller).  I have a call into my Ped again to ask and see what his recommendation is, but i'm assuming he'll blow it off as no big deal again like he's done in the past.  DS doesn't seem to be in as much discomfort as what he was a couple weeks ago, but this just doesn't seem right.  Any advice?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Concerned..what would you do?

• A lot of people have issues with Target brand formula causing constipation (read the online reviews). My DS is one of them. He was fine for awhile then got constipated around 4-6 weeks or so. There are subtle differences to the make-up of each formula. The generic is not exactly the same as the name brand.

Try switching to the name brand Similac Sensitive. We switched DS from Up&Up to Similac Sensitive and he was cleared out within a day or so. he's still on the name brand at just over 7 months and he hasn't had any other problems since the switch.

• We had the same issues on this brand.  We switched her to Gerber Goodstart Gentle and she poops normal now.  She was so constipated before it was awful.  It's a shame since the Target brand is about half the cost but I couldn't stand to see her in pain.  Our pedi told us to give her half an ounce of pear juice twice a day to loosen her up and that worked well while she was getting adjusted to the new formula.  Maybe ask your doc about doing that. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If its not little hard little pebbles, its not really constipation. A lot of formula fed babies have solid formed poops. Also, most babies will cry while pooping. Those muscles aren't totally developed and I think its not comfortable for them no matter what the consistency of their poop is. Personally, it wouldn't worry me.

That said, if its something that is really bothering you, you can always push to get an appointment to express your concerns and really ask your pediatrician why he thinks this is no big deal. If you get a better explanation that might ease your mind.

Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • My ped suggested that we give a small amount of water with brown sugar to soften her stools.  I probably gave an ounce throughout the course of the day.  It did help
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Are you using the Similac Sensitive because your DS has tummy issues? If he has excessive spitting up, like my DS, I would suggest switched to regular Similac and adding oatmeal or rice cereal to his bottle. My DS had really bad acid reflux and was on Prevacid. Our ped suggested adding 1 teaspoon of cereal per oz. of formula. This has helped significantly! He hardly spits up compared to before the change.

Also, if your ped is "blowing" you off; I would seriously suggest switching!  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageLalaMama81:
    I know this doesn't answer your question exactly, but I am not a FF mom, so I can't speak too much on it. I will say if you aren't getting the answers you need from your pedi or if they discount your concerns, I would find someone new, who will listen. The answer may still be the same (maybe his poops are fine) but at least they will have heard you out & the whole situation. That being said, I don't think watering down formula is a good idea at all, I wouldn't do that unless a doctor directed me to.

This whole thing.

My pedi said that at that age they're trying to figure out how all of that works and how to actually poop, so grunting is normal. That being said, it sounds like your LO could use a little softener. My pedi also suggested 1 oz of apple or prune juice 2x a day. I would try 1 oz 1x a day to start and see how your LO does. I also added some Mylecon drops to it to help with any gassiness (plus it can also help with constipation). 

Jake on swing AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
  • Yeah it could be that formula, like other's have said try the the name brand similac and see if that helps.  Also, be careful about adding extra water, I've heard of complications that can cause in babies.  And if you're not satisified with you're pedi then try out a different one because you have every right to have you're question's answered and not brushed off.  Listen to your mommy intuition, you know you're baby best and know when they're not acting right.
  • personally i wouldn't give water or add cereal to her bottle.

my pedi said as long they are not pellet like and not thicker than peanut butter or have blood in her poop she is good. she can go up to 5 days without pooping. i am considering switching to similac sensitive b/c of gas issues. i rather not give her drops every feeding.

• DO NOT water down formula!!!  I am a Pediatric ICU nurse and we see this alot with families trying to stretch formula.  Not mixing formula as directed, watering it down causes the babies sodium level in their blood to become low, and this causes seizures.  It is VERY dangerous to dilute formula. 

For constipation, most pedi's will recommend small amounts of pear or prune juice a couple times a day.  The nurse line at the doctors office will tell you what their docs recommend specifically.

• If your Pediatrician is consistently blowing you off - you need a new Pediatrician.
    No Kids, Not Pregnant, Not trying.
    Married: Feb. 5, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"