April 2011 Moms

BLW

If you've started BLW, which foods did you start with?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BLW

• We're only two days in, but he's had sweet potato and avocado so far. The baked sweet potato cut into wedges worked out great, he completely amazed me with how well he handled it, but the avocado was a little too slippery. I tried to leave the skin on the avocado but it was ripe enough that it just peeled right off. I think I'll try rolling it in cereal dust next time so he can handle it better. He did seem to like the taste, though!
  • We're just over a week and a half in and have tried pears, apples, cucumbers, steamed carrots/zucchini/sweet potatoes and avocado (super slippery even in cereal dust!). She loved the little piece of toast I shared too :)

Oh, and a couple small spoonfuls of yogurt and oatmeal. Oatmeal was SUPER messy! I'm glad I am not doing purees because the couple times I've handed her a spoon she rips it out of my hands and wants to do it herself. BLW seems great so far although the gagging is a little scary at first.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Today is also our second day.  We started with bananas.  She got most on the floor but she seemed to like them.  She did gag a little because of the new texture but it only happened once.  We are gonna stick with bananas for the next few days and maybe try apples next.  I didn't want to spoon feed but I've had to give her rice cereal due to loose bowel movements :( and she was getting diaper rash.  So here's hoping the bananas help too. 
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"--Eleanor Roosevelt Lilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • How large do you leave the pieces?  LO isn't BLW, but we're trying table foods and she doesn't have the "pincher" grab down so she is having a really difficult time.  I think bigger pieces would help but I don't know how big.
  • image JaneBeam:
    How large do you leave the pieces?  LO isn't BLW, but we're trying table foods and she doesn't have the "pincher" grab down so she is having a really difficult time.  I think bigger pieces would help but I don't know how big.

We are going with pretty big pieces to start... BLW says french fry size so they have something to grab onto. I just broke her toast into 4 pieces, and her banana gets cut in half and then quartered long wise. Maybe the size of my thumb or larger?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Avocado, banana and toast so far. Banana was a hit, avocado too slippery and the toastmmade me nervous bc he was getting too big of chunks. We are going to hold off on that for a while. Next sweet potatoes,mcarrots, broccoli, winter squash, pears, etc.
    BFP#1-7/28/2010, DS-4/11/2011

BFP#2-7/21/2012, MM/C-8/9/2012

BFP#3-11/1/2012, M/C-11/25/2012

BFP#4-1/16/2013, EDD-9/29/2013
    My 4th BFP chart:
    My Ovulation Chart

Lilypie Maternity tickers