Pregnant after a Loss

Well that is just wonderful..... :-/

I got a letter from Louisiana Medicad office stating that when I'm pregnant I will be limited to only two ultrasounds throughout the entire pregnancey unless doctor requires more. The is very stupid, I mean cutting back is fine but two in a span of nine month is rediculous.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Well that is just wonderful..... :-/

• That sucks!  I would talk to your doctor's office and see if the doctor would be comfortable writing a letter to them saying it's medically necessary due to previous miscarriage?  When i started investigating whether or not my insurance would cover the NT scan, I was told part of it may be and the other part may not be.  However, the insurance company said that I could always have my doctor's office write a letter and they would take it into consideration.  So, maybe that could be a solution for you!

Good luck! 

• I don't understand why people complain about not getting a ton of ultrasounds. If your doctor suspects something, and wants you to get another one, it WILL be medically necessary. Otherwise, just be thankful your LO is doing just fine!
    dx: PCOS
    Clomid + Met = BFP#1 12/27/10, missed MC discovered 2/9/11, d&c 2/11/11, 10w3d
    Natural cycle (just Met) = BFP#2 6/3/11, Baby A arrived 2/16/12
    <a href="http://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i390/tlneff0108/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • I only get two based on my Dr's practice unless things are going wrong & I need more medically.  In the beginning my Dr. followed my betas, then I had my 20 week anatomy scan & my 30-32 week growth scan, that is the norm where I live.  I'm glad I didn't need anymore than that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I dont think thats totally unreasonable. My private insurance (which Ive been pretty pleased with) only covers 2 ultrasounds, the first one around 8-10 wks and the anatomy scan at 18-20wks. I have unfortunately had a few extra because I might be having some issues. I wish I only had one so far...its nice seeing the peanut but its hard to worry so much. You dont want any medically necessary extra ultrasounds!!
    Missed m/c at 11.5wks, baby stopped developing at 9wks, D & C 12/10 ; BFP 6/11 EDD 3/16/11, DS born 40w1d at 6lbs 12 oz. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think that is pretty typical unless they have a reason to do more. You can always look for an elective ultrasound facility and pay for additional ones yourself. 
    BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker TTC since Dec 2009 BFP #1-11/19/10 , 12/30/10- Blighted Ovum, 1/2/11- D&C BFP #2- 7/2/11 EDD 3/11/12
  • If the Dr orders more they will cover it.  If he knows you and how you feel then he will simply order more.  Ask him, he will proabably do it.  Most do, and he will get paid for it, he just has to give the order.

• imageRachaelA:
    That's normal. All your doctor needs to do is have it coded as necessary.
    This.  Most places I've heard of allow two u/s (typically one early on for viability/dating and the a/s).  Getting more depends on coding.  There are a whole slew of things that can prompt additional u/s that, if coded correctly, will be deemed medically necessary and covered by insurance.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I've only had 2 and I'm pretty sure that's all I'll have unless there are some issues later on.  It seems pretty standard to me.  And, if the doctor deems it necessary, then there won't be any issues.
  • My insurance has the same rule, but my Dr has been very good about coding each u/s to show it's medical necessity and I haven't had them take issue with any of them yet. 

I hope it works out the same for you!  I agree that it is stupid to limit them like that though.

TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
  • My OB only routinely does 2 u/s during pregnancy unless more are needed.  With DD, I had 1 or 2 extra toward the end because she measured big for several weeks.  I don't know if that was the norm or a restriction under my insurance (which was great insurance).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"