Maryland Babies

Mom's of 2+... Double strollers

I know it's still super early to be thinking about double strollers, but I wanted to see what you all thought. When the baby arrives DD will be 2.5. Right now she still rides in the stroller when we are out and about (Zoo, downtown, mall, etc.), but she also likes to walk too. I have this feeling that once the new baby arrives she may still want to ride in the stroller. I'm thinking of getting another stroller. I just wanted to see what other mom's are doing?

Also if you have any recommendation, I definitely take them. 

TIA

Re: Mom's of 2+... Double strollers

• I'm so glad you asked this because I have the same question. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sean will be 2 y, 3 mo when the baby arrives so I have really been on the fence about a double stroller. As of right now, he does still like to ride in the stroller and I don't know how much longer he will. I am leaning toward getting one of those sit and stand ones where the older child can stand on the back.....I see them on CL and our local consignment place has them often too.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the Phil and Ted Stroller and it has the attachment for a 2nd kid.  You don't have to leave it on always, just when you're using it.  You can also attach above and have the infant below laying down.  I <3 my stroller.  <3<3<3 
  • imagemrs. remy:
    Sean will be 2 y, 3 mo when the baby arrives so I have really been on the fence about a double stroller. As of right now, he does still like to ride in the stroller and I don't know how much longer he will. I am leaning toward getting one of those sit and stand ones where the older child can stand on the back.....I see them on CL and our local consignment place has them often too.

We saw one of those at a consignment shop on Saturday but didn't really like that Ava would be facing backwards if she sat on that little bench. Maybe it can face both ways though, I don't know.  Since having Faith, Ava always want to ride in the stroller now--figures!

• Don't they make something where you can strap two strollers together?  I could swear I saw that on FB the other day?

Also - will you be anywhere with both kids alone enough that you would really need a double stroller?  I always think if/when we have #2, if we did any kind of big outing that would justify DD wanting to sit, we'd already have DH with us so could each push a kid if needed.  Those double strollers take up soo much room and seem pretty hard to steer in a crowd, etc. I'd probably avoid if at all possible.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We've been lucky enough to get by with using the travel system stroller and bought a small umbrella stroller for DD who was 17 months by the time her brother joined us.  It has worked out well so far.  But like Kathryn said, we have been lucky enough that most big outings DH has been with us.
  • We're in a slightly different boat since my 2 will only be, at most, barely 19 months apart, so we're definitely investing in a stroller.  This LO is measuring WAY smaller than DS ever did so we're likely looking at being able to use the infant carrier for a LONG while and we really liked being able to snap the infant carrier into the stroller, so we're mainly looking at strollers that our Chicco Keyfit can snap into - primarily Chicco's double stroller and the Kolcraft Options tandem stroller.  Later, I'm guessing we'll get a double umbrella stroller - I really like the Maclaren version - but in the meantime, it's just not practical b/c it's not going to do us much good for a NB.

We're planning on trying to reserve the double stroller only for "bigger" outings, which is why we're only looking at the less expensive double strollers that will fit our carseat.  We'll be sticking to the single stroller for DS + wearing LO in the Ergo for most times we're out w/ both - I can easily wear LO and push DS in the stroller if I'm by myself, and it's a lot less bulky than the double stroller for getting through crowds.

• imageThePastor'sWife:
    We'll be sticking to the single stroller for DS + wearing LO in the Ergo for most times we're out w/ both - I can easily wear LO and push DS in the stroller if I'm by myself, and it's a lot less bulky than the double stroller for getting through crowds.

This was my thought. I have no experience with this obviously, but those double strollers are so huge that having 1 in a single stroller and 1 in a carrier seems like a good option.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • imageThePastor'sWife:

We're planning on trying to reserve the double stroller only for "bigger" outings, which is why we're only looking at the less expensive double strollers that will fit our carseat.  We'll be sticking to the single stroller for DS + wearing LO in the Ergo for most times we're out w/ both - I can easily wear LO and push DS in the stroller if I'm by myself, and it's a lot less bulky than the double stroller for getting through crowds.

Very good point about wearing the baby. See I never really wore DD because she was so tiny for so long. And I was really worried about wearing here. But if everything goes well, then I'm hoping to wear baby#2. 

I was most likely going to try and find a double stroller at one of the consignment events, etc. 

• I purchased this (https://www.target.com/p/Graco-DuoGlider-Stroller-Lowery/-/A-11599138) stroller when I while I was pregnant with number 2.  It is a great stroller and is sturdy, but I never really used it much.... probably no more then 5 times actually.  Most often I would wear #2 and push #1 in a stroller that was not as large. 

With that said.... I am totally willing to sell said stroller to anyone who is interested.   

• I recently went to the mall with my friend and her two year old and three week old. She has a double stroller, side by side, and that thing is a monstrosity, it was like the 2nd time she used it and it was so much trouble. Like PP's have said, when we have #2 I will most likely use the moby at first -DS loved that whehe was little-and the ergo and keep DS in the stroller for awhile and then later get the sit and stand, DS doesn't like to stay in the stroller for long right now. I think if I were to get a double stroller, I would do the front and back and would definitely look on craigslist before shelling out full price.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We are buying a double-stroller but are putting it off until the last minute since DH is home with me for about a month and between the two of us, we're able to put DD in an umbrella stroller and baby-wear DS.  With the help of lots of gift cards, it'll help us with the cost of buying it, thankfully.

I've researched this quite a bit (the 2U2 board posts a lot on this topic) and we're going to buy a side-by-side stroller.  DD is still too young to walk next to me without worrying she'll sprint off and I like the ease of DS going from the carseat and being snapped into the stroller without having to wake him up to but him in a mei tai/bjorn and possibly waking him up.

A double stroller will be a pain no matter how you slice it, it just depends on what you are comfortable with handling and paying for :) 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have a Graco double stroller, which we got before DS2 was born. Up until recently I used it all the time, especially when I was out with both boys by myself. It is big, heavy, etc., but we have gotten so much use of out it was worth it. However, we have gone to using a single umbrella stroller recently because DS1 wants to walk most of the time. But, if we are going to be out for most of the day we use the double stroller.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Honestly, I'd skip it.  Think about it...first few months baby is in the infant seat and the snap and go stroller.  So you can easily put A in the bigger stroller.  Or, you can wear baby and put A in the stroller.

Aiden has ridden in his stroller once since Claire was born, at DW.  The second time he went, he requested we not bring his stroller in.

I just think double strollers are so pricey.  I would either find one used or skip it altogether.

Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
  • I'm thinking City Mini Double Jogger.  These kids will only be 18mo apart.  We use our stroller a lot.  DD sleeps in the BOB on walks a lot and I want both of them to still be able to do that.  Also, we change diapers in the BOB.  I want to still be able to do that.  You can't in an umbrella stroller.  I've seen the CM's in person and they aren't super wide. 

But, I'm waiting to see what this kiddo likes.  Hopefully it'll like being worn like E did so I can put off the big purchase for a while.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Mine are 26 months apart, we bought a boogie board that attaches to our main stroller for DD to ride on- she loves it, but she wasn't in love w/ the stroller after she turned 2. Also I wore/wear DS quite a bit, so between the ergo, our original stroller + boogie board we are fine and it's a great set up for traveling. There were more than a few occasions when I would go out w/ the stroller, DD would end up walking/riding, I would wear DS and the stroller seat would just hold shopping bags or something. 

We were given a hand-me-down double jogging stroller and that is good for walks to the pool, around the 'hood, and stroller strides now that I am doing that, but it is too big for regular use in a mall, crowded places, etc.- I would never take it to downtown Annapolis, as it would be impossible to get in and out of stores. Ours has a fixed front wheel, which makes it less maneuverable, but also less expensive. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • PSA...if you do want a Phil and Teds stroller with the doubles kit, they are on sale. philandteds.com has the Explorer for $499 with free doubles kit. OR, if it is your first order at ecomom.com, you can use coupon code GROW and it makes it $377 (no tax or shipping) for the Explorer and doubles kit. Ecomom only has them in black. 

I am nowhere near ready to TTC for #2 yet, but I am obsessed with monitoring deal sites. lol. 

• Well, my first two were only 14 months apart, so I got a double stroller and use it often. I still use it even though L can walk like a champ, because I like to go shopping and it's much easier to keep her contained in one spot than to let her walk. If you mainly shop in stores with carts it's also easy to let the older child ride in the seat and put the infant carrier in the cart or wear the infant, but I still like having the double stroller as an option.

I have the Baby Trend Sit n Stand, which works well for my needs, and fits in the trunk of my Nissan Sentra. I don't find it to be any more cumbersome than the single stroller that came with my travel system.  I am looking into double side-by-sides because that is what I originally wanted and I think would be better for things like the zoo. I went w/the sit n stand because it was one of only two strollers that I found that were compatible with my Evenflo infant carseat.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"