1st Trimester

eye color odds calculator

This eye color odds calculator was fun.

I have "combo" eyes (more green, but some blue/hazel), but I usually call them green. DH has those gorgeous ice blue eyes. My mom & sister both have brown eyes, and my dad has blue "combo" eyes (more blue than green/hazel). DH's mom, dad & sister all have ice blue eyes.

I kind of figured that blue eyes would win out for our baby, but it was amusing to see that based on all of that, the baby actually has a 50/50 shot of blue or green! Woohoo! 

I never paid much attention when going over those alleles/traits in school, but this website actually explained it pretty well. Just for fun (and for those who are bored & curious), here it is:

 
 
image


"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."- Helen Keller

Re: eye color odds calculator

  • Ours has a 50% chance of Brown, 30% chance of green, and 20% of blue.  I doubt it will have blue eyes, the brown won out between my dad and mom...the brown eyed gene in my italian family is extremely strong, so even though hubby has green eyes....I would bet that this baby has brown eyes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah I see this all the time... very interesting!  DH and I both have brown eyes, but both our kids have the prettiest light blue eyes ever!

    Wondering if the #3 will get them too! =) 

    ________________________________________________________________


    Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14


    image
    image
    image
  • Wouldn't it be easier to just do a Punnett square?
    Small potatoes.
  • Thanks so much for posting this!  It's so much fun..  Realized it was such a low percentage for my parents to have a green eyed child, and here I am!  We have a 22 percent of having a green eyed as well... keeping my fingers crossed..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 13% blue like me

    13% green like no one I know

    72% brown like daddy

     

    DS has brown eyes and I expect this little one will be a brownie too.  Fun!  Thanks for posting.  

    image


    image



    image

  • I think it's fascinating. My heritage is a mixed bag; mostly Italian (Sicilian) & German, with some Scottish and Welsh and who knows what else thrown in. DH's heritage is mostly German, English & Irish. 

    There is every eye color under the rainbow (well, except for violet- none of those) in our families, and same with skin tone & hair color.

    So I'm just excited to see what our LO will look like; it's fun to think about.

    image


    "Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."- Helen Keller
  • Mine came back 100% blue eyes. I have blue eyes and both my parents are blue eyes as well as my brother. DH and his parents and brother all have blue eyes. 

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Mine said 100% blue! Here's hoping :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • image LoisLane23:
    Wouldn't it be easier to just do a Punnett square?

    It's actually so much more complicated then a Punnett square.  The referenced model is a little better, but it doesn't come close to being an accurate representation of eye color.    At a family renunion once, we went around the room and really looked at people's brown eyes.  Not a single person had the same texture or color patterns.  It was really interesting - and a little awkward getting so close up.

    I have blue-green eyes, DH has a mocha brown and DD has a hazel brown.  I can't wait to see what our next baby has.



    image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image
    image
  • image LoisLane23:
    Wouldn't it be easier to just do a Punnett square?

    Then answer a few questions online from a drop box and have them do it for you? No. ;)

    ________________________________________________________________


    Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14


    image
    image
    image
  • image mrs.jenni:

    image LoisLane23:
    Wouldn't it be easier to just do a Punnett square?

    Then answer a few questions online from a drop box and have them do it for you? No. ;)

    I might just be a science dork. :) I like that kind of stuff.

    Small potatoes.
  • image LoisLane23:
    image mrs.jenni:

    image LoisLane23:
    Wouldn't it be easier to just do a Punnett square?

    Then answer a few questions online from a drop box and have them do it for you? No. ;)

    I might just be a science dork. :) I like that kind of stuff.

    I actually LOVE it... but I'm too lazy ;) 

    ________________________________________________________________


    Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14


    image
    image
    image
  • I'm sure I would like it if I could remember how. Smile I do remember having to make boxes and marking little g's & capital G's (for dominant and recessive genes), but I honestly can't remember anything beyond that! With this pregnancy brain, I'll stick to the online calculator right now. lol!
    image


    "Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."- Helen Keller
  • Thats pretty cool. I wish it would have factored in hazel, but I guess each hazel eye colored person has a dominant color.

    Mine was:

    75% chance of brown

    16% chance of blue

    9% chance of green.

     DS has the biggest and most beautiful BROWN eyes. I love them!

     

    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It says 2.8% blue, but DD has the prettiest bright blue eyes.
    image
    DD {6.13.10} & DS {5.19.12}
  • 18.7% chance for blue

    image

    Here's my daughter's eyes, both her dad and I have hazel. She's 2 years old and so far they're still blue.  She has one grandparent on both sides that has blue, everyone else is either hazel or brown.

  • DH and I both have blue eyes and it says our LO has a 100% chance of having blue eyes as well!
  • image laurenmae1228:

    This eye color odds calculator was fun.

    I have "combo" eyes (more green, but some blue/hazel), but I usually call them green. DH has those gorgeous ice blue eyes. My mom & sister both have brown eyes, and my dad has blue "combo" eyes (more blue than green/hazel). DH's mom, dad & sister all have ice blue eyes.

    I kind of figured that blue eyes would win out for our baby, but it was amusing to see that based on all of that, the baby actually has a 50/50 shot of blue or green! Woohoo! 

    I never paid much attention when going over those alleles/traits in school, but this website actually explained it pretty well. Just for fun (and for those who are bored & curious), here it is:

     
     

       

      DH and I have the same combo as you guys and our son was born with brown eyes!  I was so surprised as I expected him to have light eyes, but he was born with my mother's beautiful brown eyes. 

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image laurenmae1228:

    This eye color odds calculator was fun.

    I have "combo" eyes (more green, but some blue/hazel), but I usually call them green. DH has those gorgeous ice blue eyes. My mom & sister both have brown eyes, and my dad has blue "combo" eyes (more blue than green/hazel). DH's mom, dad & sister all have ice blue eyes.

    I kind of figured that blue eyes would win out for our baby, but it was amusing to see that based on all of that, the baby actually has a 50/50 shot of blue or green! Woohoo! 

    I never paid much attention when going over those alleles/traits in school, but this website actually explained it pretty well. Just for fun (and for those who are bored & curious), here it is:

     
     
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So from what I remember from Biology, blue eyes are recessive and two true blue-eyed parents can ONLY have blue eyed kids. To have a blue-eyed child, both parents must carry the recessive gene. My parents have green and brown eyes and all three of us kids have blue. My husband has blue so my kids are guaranteed to have blue. My brother and sis-in-law both have blue eyes and my nephew has blue eyes. My parent's only hope for a non-blue-eyed grandchild is my little sister. Her boyfriend has brown eyes. There is hope! 
    image




    image
  • wow! that is so cool. ours was 50% brown...38% blue.

  • Mine just don't work well here. My brother's eyes are more hazel than brown as are my husband's.

    We each have a blue eyed and a brown eyed parent. Based on that, our odds are 75% brown, 10.9% green and 14% blue.

    I guess that missing 0.01% would account for my kid's eyes:

    image

    I have no idea what to call her eye color on forms. It's blue on the outside, but kind of grey, and the middle looks green or hazel depending on the light. Who knows what kid number 2 will have!!

    I'm hiding from my local boards!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image Ivana.Stolichnaya:

    18.7% chance for blue

    image

    Here's my daughter's eyes, both her dad and I have hazel. She's 2 years old and so far they're still blue.  She has one grandparent on both sides that has blue, everyone else is either hazel or brown.

    Wow what gorgeos eyes she has!!!

    BabyFruit Ticker

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


    image


  • I did it and it told me 100% blue which my older kid has - but our younger kid's eyes are a greenish-brown.
    DC1 (2.5) | DC2 (1) | #3 due 6.1.2012
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards