January 2012 Moms
Options

So I got the weight talk...

and I've gained about 18 lbs. Does that seem right? I started at 144, now at 162...she basically just told me to "watch it," but it still kind of felt bad because I feel like I look pretty good in general! I think it's mostly in my belly. Anyone else get the talk for this much?
DD: 1/8/12
DS: 3/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: So I got the weight talk...

• Options

I posted something about this earlier. I got the talk a few months ago, and took it REALLY hard. So the next month i only gained 1 lb, then at my appt yesterday the gain was really big. My dr apologized for being so hard on me, and said he isnt concerned with my health just that he doesnt want me to be unhappy with excess weight AFTER baby comes.

I didnt see how far along you are, but listen as long as you are comftorable with your body, and you havent gained an insane amount that is putting stress on the baby I wouldnt worry about it. Easier said than done, and im totally trying to convince myself of this while im typing it!

If you need a buddy to talk to about this, im here :) *hugs*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That doesn't seem like too much, I'm going to guess I'm at about 14-15 pounds(last appt I was up 11...next is Tuesday) gained and my doc is very happy with my weight gain. I started off at an average weight, like you did

Married my best friend 5/2/2008
    TTC our first miracle since November 2010
    BFP 3/16/2011 Chemical Pregnancy 3/20/2011

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At 24 weeks I had gained 14lbs and I got a tiny piece of "the talk" but not too much said. Im super worried about my appt in 2 weeks because I feel like Ive gotten a lot bigger in the belly since then.... I didnt change my eating habits though and maybe I shouldve. Oh well, If  I get the talk again I'll just have to straighten up! lol
  • Options
    Maybe I should look at it as an opportunity to just make a few more healthier choices. I haven't been going crazy, but definitely treating myself a bit more than usual. Embarrassed
    DD: 1/8/12
    DS: 3/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Wow...I feel like I've gained more weight than all of you Surprise  I'm 27 wks and at my appt. on Monday the Dr. said I've gained 28 pounds (I was 125 lbs to start).  The Dr. didnt say that was bad though, she didnt even tell me to watch my weight.  I've been making healthy food choices for the most part and exercising 2-3 days a week.

• Options
    I will be 24 weeks tomorrow and I gained 12 pounds so far - went from 128 to 140 - I do not think 18 pounds is too much at this point in your pregnancy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thats stupid! 18lbs and you're already getting lectured? Screw that. I've gained 25 so far and my midwife is very happy with where I'm at. 
  • Options

I don't think 18 lbs, is too much!!  I mean, you hear of lots of women that gain between 40-60 lbs!!

Personally, I've gotten the weight talk since I was about 12.  Always been a bigger girl.  Being pregnant I was told I shouldn't gain anymore than 15lbs the entire time.  Last dr. appt., I was at a total of +5lb which made me sick to my stomach.  I go again on monday so i'm trying to watch it, and sadly, I would like to lose a lb or 2 before then.......

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLeighAnn922:

Wow...I feel like I've gained more weight than all of you Surprise  I'm 27 wks and at my appt. on Monday the Dr. said I've gained 28 pounds (I was 125 lbs to start).  The Dr. didnt say that was bad though, she didnt even tell me to watch my weight.  I've been making healthy food choices for the most part and exercising 2-3 days a week.

This. I'm amazed that you guys are getting b*tched at for your weight gain--especially when none of you have even gained that much. I'm far more concerned about my weight than my OB (I started at 144, now 168)--she told me I could get on the scale backwards if that's what I needed. 

I don't think you ladies need to watch it, I think your OBs need to chill.  

• Options
    I am up 20lbs at 24 weeks. I feel bad enough on my own. I don't need my dr to give me crap. I go in tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that she doesn't bring it up. She's pretty relaxed though so I think it will be okay.
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • Options

Sounds like we are about the same.

My OB said something to me at my 20 week because I was 12 lbs instead of 10 lbs (which is where he said I should be).  At 24 weeks, I was 18 lbs up from where I started, but he didn't say anything.  I feel like I look great, so I am not really that worried about it.  As long as you think you look good and you feel healthy. It always sucks to hear it from someone else though, I understand.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageLeighAnn922:

I am so glad you said this!!! As I was reading the numbers that the Drs were lecturing at, i began to get worried.  At 27w3d im up 25 lbs, i started at 120.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm also up 18 lbs at 24.5 weeks and I hope I don't get the talk, but I see a midwife and I know she's more interested in me being healthy than the number on the scale.

I take Zumba and cardio dance classes 3x a week and eat 6 small meals a day plus chase a toddler 7 days a week. I'm happy with my weight gain and I'd say I'm on track to gain 30lbs, just like with DS. My mom gained 35lbs with all 3 of her babies and lost it all each time. 

• Options
    I was told in one of my appointments that I didn't gain enough weight I actually was loosing weight.  And this last one I was told I gained too much 14lbs.  I am at 150 right now.  I am nervous for my next apt. 
  • Options

i think it's all about how tall you are and how your BMI was when you started; i'm 5"10 and started at a healthy BMI and weight.  I've gained about 18-20.  it's freaky but you have to remember how much of that weight isn't YOU it's the BABY!

• Baby: 7 to 8 pounds (about 3 to 3.6 kilograms)
    • Larger breasts: 2 pounds (about 1 kilogram)
    • Larger uterus: 2 pounds (about 1 kilogram)
    • Placenta: 1 1/2 pounds (about 0.7 kilogram)
    • Amniotic fluid: 2 pounds (about 1 kilogram)
    • Increased blood volume: 3 to 4 pounds (about 1.4 to 1.8 kilograms)
    • Increased fluid volume: 3 to 4 pounds (about 1.4 to 1.8 kilograms)
    • Fat stores: 6 to 8 pounds (about 2.7 to 3.6 kilograms)

crazy huh?

• Options
    That is kind of ridiculous... that sounds like a perfecty acceptable amount of weight.  I am 27 weeks and have gained 23 lbs.  I started at 123lbs.  My doctor is perfecty happy with my weight gain.  I wouldn't worry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"