Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Question about milk allergies

My daughter is 11 months old and her doctor gave us the OK to start transitioning her to Cows milk. I started putting 2 oz of milk and 6 oz formula in her bottles. The next day she had diarrhea. I figured it was her body adjusting to the milk. Two days later she had red blotches on both cheeks and the diarrhea had increased to 2-4 times a day.  Her doctor is on vacation and I cannot get a return call. I switched her to soy and within 3 days the diarrhea and blotches were gone. Could she be allergic to milk? She has never had any problem with yogurt or cheese.

Re: Question about milk allergies

• imagecloverhrt:
    My daughter is 11 months old and her doctor gave us the OK to start transitioning her to Cows milk. I started putting 2 oz of milk and 6 oz formula in her bottles. The next day she had diarrhea. I figured it was her body adjusting to the milk. Two days later she had red blotches on both cheeks and the diarrhea had increased to 2-4 times a day.  Her doctor is on vacation and I cannot get a return call. I switched her to soy and within 3 days the diarrhea and blotches were gone. Could she be allergic to milk? She has never had any problem with yogurt or cheese.

She definitely might be allergic. Out of curiosity, try lactose-free milk. I have personal issues with people consuming a lot of soy because of the estrogen...

I'm guessing she has no problem with yogurt or cheese because they are both cultured. Same thing with my DS. Our allergist told us he is allergic to milk, and I haven't really given him any straight milk, but he is totally fine with yogurt and cheese too. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes it sounds like she is allergic. But I would consider looking into a different doctor? When my doctor is out of down there is still someone in the officer to answer phone calls and if there is something that needs to be seen they refer you do another doctor temp. It is odd that you would never receive a call back.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto the recommendation for trying lactose free milk.  Yogurt and cheese have considerably less lactose than milk.

• My DD was allergic to dairy and we knew because she got the red blotches/hives on her cheeks from yogurt.  Cheese was fine.  We then had her tested and it showed she was allergic so we did have to do the soy milk which I didn't love but that's what our pediatrician recommended.  The good news was that she outgrew it by 2.

Also the allergist told me that any time you see a reaction like that you should always give benadryl.  Apparently it can help lessen the severity of the reaction in subsequent times?  They're always worried about anaphylaxis of course.  Rare with a dairy allergy but possible.

• Thank you everyone for the replies.  They were very helpful!
  • imagecloverhrt:
    Thank you everyone for the replies.  They were very helpful!
    What kind of formula was she on before? It would be strange to be fine with normal cow's milk-based formula but then allergic to cow's milk.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• She was on enfamil gentlease
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"