Secondary IF

To do IUI or to not do IUI

Ok, I could really use some advice here. I had my appointment today for my ultrasound to see if the Clomid worked. Well, the ultrasound showed that it did. The doctor said that we can do one of three things.

 1- Just let things happen naturally.

2- Do the trigger shot and know that I will ovulate tomorrow.

3- Do the trigger shot and than do IUI tomorrow.

 Well I asked him his opinion and he said to at the least do the trigger shot and to talk to my husband and call back and decide if we want to do the IUI. Well I talked to DH and we were so excited we decided to schedule the IUI for tomorrow. I received the trigger shot and will ovulate tomorrow.

 Here's my questions... This will be my first IUI so I am extremely nervous. I was just wondering if any of you ladies have done IUI. Also, I was just looking for another opinion on if doing the IUI is smart now or if we should try  naturally with the trigger shot or if we are doing a smart thing going with the IUI.

 I think right now I am just so worried about things not working out right. This is my first time actually ovulating so I am still in shock that the 100mg of Clomid actually worked that I am just worried about the IUI not working. DH and I are going to talk about it again tonight and make a final decision but no one I know has infertility issues so any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! 

11/05/10 - Found out I had PCOS 11/08/10- Started Provera to get AF 11/20/10 - AF!! 11/24/10 - Start 50 mg Clomid Received blood work back to determine no ovulation occurred :( 12/20/10 - Met with RE 12/21/10 - Started Metformin 03/10/11 - Started Clomid 50 mg Still no ovulation 4/20/11- Started another round of 50 mg Clomid No Sign of Ovulation 5/20/11- Last round of 50 mg Clomid No signs of ovulation 6/20/11 - Dieted and lost 20 pounds and decided to take a mental break from the baby making. Contacted a new RE 9/21/11 - Started First Round of 100 mg Clomid 10/3/11 - Ultra Sound showed Clomid worked! Received trigger shot 10/4/11- IUI scheduled. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Re: To do IUI or to not do IUI

  • I just think you have to do what is best for you.  Whatever feels right for you and your husband is what you should do.  I did 1 IUI and it didn't work out for me but the very next month going natural worked.  2IF is so tricky we all seem to have different recipies for success but I think just going with your gut and what you feel is right will give you the best outcome.
    Trying for baby #2 since May 2010. DX elevated prolactin. Clomid round 1-50mg=BFN. Clomid round 2-100mg = BFN. Began taking Cabergoline and prolactin levels regulated. July IUI#1= BFN. Break cycle for August and BFP on 8/26/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree - do whatever you feel best doing. If I were you, I would definitely do an IUI. Why not give yourself the best odds since you are finally ovulating?!
    IUI #5 50 mg clomid + ovidrel + IUI 10/15 = BFP

    Beta #1 27 (13 dpo) Beta #2 143 (16 dpo) Beta #3 436 (19 dpo) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

  • Personally, I would do the IUI.  I know that statistically it's not supposed to be that much greater odds vs TI but I felt like we were already doing Femara, trigger and IUI weren't that much more, and I also felt like we had a little more control over it all.  I also have a severely tilted uterus and a cervix that doesn't always want to function like it should, so I felt that IUI would help with those issues.

    The actual procedure wasn't bad at all.  Because of my uterus tilt they had to use a special catheter and it took 3 different nurses/doctors and like 5 tries but they finally got it.

    Good luck with whatever you decide! 

    image


    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers


    After more than a year, 1 IUI, 1 m/c, then acupuncture/TCM = natural cycle BFP on 12/5/11!
    image
    image
    image
  • I agree with the PP's, you should do what feels right, but I also think that it is a great idea to go along with the IUI.  It is very simple and easy and will give you a greater chance for success.  FX :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers Dori Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image sgrobste:
    I agree with the PP's, you should do what feels right, but I also think that it is a great idea to go along with the IUI.  It is very simple and easy and will give you a greater chance for success.  FX :)


    This exactly.  Lots of luck to you!!!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    image
    Dori image
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • i agree to do what is best for you... but here are some things i have considered when I was in your position at times... Does your insurance allow a number of IUI attempts?  How about a dollar max?

    If not... I would just go for the IUI.

    I did 1 IUI with ds#1 and we were lucky the first  time.

    We are on iui #3 and no luck,,,

    If you have maxes on your medical policy... i would do trigger with natural relations and see where that takes you..

    good luck

  • Agree with PP but just wanted to offer some good luck!
  • I'm a little late, but lots of luck to you!
    Conceived DD after 15 cycles--- TTC #2 since 11/10---Me- Poor egg quality and supply---DH- Poor count and motility---2 rounds 75IU Follistim/IUI-BFN---5/12 150IU Follistim/IUI-Over-produced! Converted to IVF! 0 fertilized:( Rescue ICSI performed. 2 embryos transfered-BFN

    ---------Game Over---------

    Moving on as a family of 3
    Lou's Infertility News

    <a href="http://s863.photobucket.com/albums/ab199/lillinzlou2/?action=view
  • If I were you, I'd go for the IUI.  GL!
    *My Loves, My Life, My Littles*

    02/18/11, 05/24/12 and 12/03/13



This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards