Babies: 0 - 3 Months

switching formulas....

is it ok to switch between different formulas? the only reason would be for money saving....is it a good idea? or would it cause too much of an upset stomach? or other issues? not a huge deal and definitely not worth saving money if its going to affect him too much....
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: switching formulas....

• Our pediatrician told us not to because it can cause gas issues/constipation. Having said that, though, once LO is a little older if we're not having any issues I might try switching to a Sam's Club or Costco version of the Similac Advance that we're using now just because it's so expensive. For now though, I don't want to mess with a good thing. If you are really wondering, ask your Pedi for advice!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I did it! And my daughter was fine, she made a face at first and then she got use to it. We switched from enfamil to gerber, and then once i get on wic I will be going back to a enfamil or similac.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm a FTM so I may not have as much advice as everyone else, but if it were me, when they are your LO's age, I probably wouldn't switch a good thing. Too many formulas cause constipation and gas, so when you find one that works for your LO, I'd stick to it. That's just my opinion, but definitely ask your pedi for some advice!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I personally wouldn't switch my LO to different formulas at a young age because like PP said it can cause a lot if GI issues. That being said when I went from BM to similac advance DD had major issues: fussiness, gas, diarrhea, and reflux. She had been on it about 1 week and we switched to gerber goodstart protect per pedi recommendation. After one full day I had my happy baby back. I would rather my daughter be happy than save a dollar. But always ask your pedi if you really want to switch. They might be able to give you samples till you find what works for you. GL.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had a ton of free samples from both enfamil and similac. We started with one, when we ran out we switched to the other without any trouble and then actually ended up switching back again. I don't know about any other brands but when we talked to the ER Pedi (LO was losing weight and we needed to increase the formula supplement we were giving in addition to BFing) she said those two brands at least are virtually the same thing but no clue about any of the off brands.

Good luck!

• i am BF with formula supplements while i am trying to build up my supply and pumping.   i received 2 small cans of enfamil(regular), 1 gentlease(enfamil sensitive), a large tub of similac and a can of similac sensitive in the mail.  i started with the enfamil liquid single 2oz hospital bottles, then started on the can of reg. enfamil then the gentlease, now i am into the similac reg.  and will use the sensitive similac after that.  DS seems to tolerate the switching so for now i will keep getting whatever i can for the least amount of $$$.   the only difference i have come across is the smell of his poo from the sensitive formula...EWWW!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagealdog70:
    i am BF with formula supplements while i am trying to build up my supply and pumping.   i received 2 small cans of enfamil(regular), 1 gentlease(enfamil sensitive), a large tub of similac and a can of similac sensitive in the mail.  i started with the enfamil liquid single 2oz hospital bottles, then started on the can of reg. enfamil then the gentlease, now i am into the similac reg.  and will use the sensitive similac after that.  DS seems to tolerate the switching so for now i will keep getting whatever i can for the least amount of $$$. 

Money isn't a huge issue for us, BUT since we have so many samples and stuff, we're using them first.  DS doesn't seem to mind anything yet, although we have to make the powder ahead and let it "settle" before he'll tolerate it.  But that goes for Similac especially, because it was very foamy.

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"