March 2012 Moms

My DH

My DH is scaring me. My DH seems more distant as time goes on in this pregnancy and I'm scared to poo! This pregnancy was planned, no suprises here. He's wanting to hang with his friends more and more in the last couple weeks. I'm not mad he wants to hang with his friends, but he wants to every weekend and thats the only time we get to spend together due to our work schedules.

It just seems like he's afraid of whats going to happen when we have this child. When i asked whats wrong he says nothing is wrong. 

Anyone elses DH like this? Like I said, this was all planned, we are in a great spot in our lives and now I"m just down right scared.  Maybe I'm just freaking out for no reason. I'm just sitting here all alone, watching reality TV and worried my heart out!

He's totally been here for me like worried when I'm sick, takes care of me when I have migraines etc., but just seems distant....its hard to explain :(

Re: My DH

• I think the best way to look at it, is this

A mother sets a place at the table, the moment that second pink line pops up. A father doesn't become a dad until he holds his child in his arms.

He might also realize life WILL change after the baby is here. DH and I had to have a come to jesus talk about him going out and drinking with friends because honestly that has to stop now. At least for us. DH understood and was fine with the adjustment  

• imageIteachPK:

A mother sets a place at the table, the moment that second pink line pops up. A father doesn't become a dad until he holds his child in his arms.

Thanks for all you said but this specifically. My life has already changed the second I found out......his has yet to. You really made me wake up...however you made me also realize that soon he will have too....maybe sooner than later! 

I appreciate it.  Thanks again!

• Loading the player...
  • No problem. Just give him time, especially if he's being really awesome in other ways. A friend of mine said her DH was really bad for first 22 weeks of her pregnancy just didn't seem to "get" it. As soon as she had a solid bump and he had a daily reminder that HIS life is changing, he stopped being a douche
  • imagemelgul001:

My DH is scaring me. My DH seems more distant as time goes on in this pregnancy and I'm scared to poo! This pregnancy was planned, no suprises here. He's wanting to hang with his friends more and more in the last couple weeks. I'm not mad he wants to hang with his friends, but he wants to every weekend and thats the only time we get to spend together due to our work schedules.

It just seems like he's afraid of whats going to happen when we have this child. When i asked whats wrong he says nothing is wrong. 

Anyone elses DH like this? Like I said, this was all planned, we are in a great spot in our lives and now I"m just down right scared.  Maybe I'm just freaking out for no reason. I'm just sitting here all alone, watching reality TV and worried my heart out!

He's totally been here for me like worried when I'm sick, takes care of me when I have migraines etc., but just seems distant....its hard to explain :(

Mine has been doing this for 3 weeks now. I'm sitting here bored and annoyed that he's out AGAIN! He is not my favorite person right now!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We had a friend do that when his g/f was pg. He was a party and hang out with the boys kind of guy in college. So he viewed the pregnancy as his last chance. They finally worked out that it was fine for him to hang out with the boys a lot but some weekends he just needed to stay with her.

I know sometimes too, guys get sick of hearing about the pregnancy. But they don't want to speak up and say something because they feel they aren't being supportive. So instead of saying. "gee, honey, can we talk about something else for a little while" they run away.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Everything all the other ladies said. It's also possible that he is nervous as heck and doesn't know how to talk about it. Most men cope with becoming parents in a different way. As women the majority of us have that instinct thing or know it will kick in.

That being said you may want to set some time aside to talk about it with him in a non- confrontational non- judging way. Just ask him how he is feeling abt the babybcoming soon..maybe even express that you too (if you are) are a little scared, etc. Then you can in a round about way ask if if that's why he has been a bit distant and going out a lot. I don think he will come around when he holds the baby for the first time.

My DH and in had to have a talk about the fact that I wasn't the only one pregnant. And other than him drinking and his diet, he needed to understand that the restrictions (I.e., traveling) I had were alsomapplicable to him. Yep, he actually wanted me to not travel thus whole pregnancy but didn't see any problem with hum going. He pouted for two days but got over himself when other DH's asked him if he was crazy...and wanted a place to live? LOL. It's always a much bigger learning curve for men. So don't despair.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Plus, if he's the first of his friends to have a baby, I'm sure he's hearing "oh dude you won't be able to party AT ALL after the kid comes" and obnoxious comments like that. Maybe he's feeling peer (aka douchebag) pressure to staying out and partying.

You need to talk to him about it. Especially if it's hurting your feelings and making you worried.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'll say you've gotten some good information from PP's!

I'd like to add something that my mom told me - a man is but a boy until he holds his LO in his arms for that first time. then and only then is when he becomes a MAN! She also said you get him involved in this pregnancy ASAP letting him experience it with you - spend as much time talking to him about it, how he's part of it but, spend more time LISTENING to what he has to say about your being pregnant, what he's experiencing, how he feels! Remember he's pregnant too just not in the same way. He does feel what you feel, has some emotions perhaps just not able to express them. He has no way of reading your mind so tell him how you feel, what you need, want, or think!

Tell him how much you love, he means to you at this time, then show him he's important not only to you but to this baby your carrying (his son/daughter), fix him one of his favorite meals, do something he likes as a favor, give him some special time with just the two of you one-on-one! Get my drift!

Then give him that freedom to spend time with his male friends! Ask him to just give you some time for just the two of you also!

GL in your relationship! 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"