Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Question about storing Breast Milk

even though this is my second I never made enough milk to store but now I am making more than expect, or more then she can eat....

so what are the rules about storing? how long can I keep it in the fridge? and the freezer?

also DH keeps mixing my milk from different pumpings (combining them to one bag instead of two)...is that ok? 

once in the freezer how do I go about defrosting it? 

THANKS! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about storing Breast Milk

• Options

My Lansinoh storage bags (the best to try, IMO) give the storage times right on the package.

I'd only mix milk from different pumpings if they are already the same temp. Don't mix already refrigerated milk with milk you just pumped. But I do mix the bottles I get from pumping at work when I get home at the end of the day.

We defrost in the fridge and if we need to heat it, put the bag in a mug of warm water.

2 girls and a dog
  • Options

8 days in the fridge (sniff before serving), up to 6 months in a deep freezer, 3-4 in a a regular freezer that gets opened all the time.

Defrost by placing the bag in warm water, or leave it overnight in the fridge.

You can certainly combine milk, but never shake it. As long as the milk is all the same temperature and close to the same age, it doesn't matter if you combine it. In fact, when I make DS's bottles for daycare, I put a little from each pumping session in each bottle, so all of the bottles are homogenous for the day.  

FOr freezing, I've found it helpful to freeze in 2 or 4 oz portions, since I don't want to defrost too much or have to defrost a whole other bag just to top off a bottle. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I freeze 6 ounce portions, just as my variation. I was going thru way too many bags freezing only 2 ouncers. I freeze about 30 ounces a day :/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    30 ounces!! thats impressive! hwo did you get to pumping so much??
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

The hospital I delivered at told me to remember the 4's. 

Room Temp: 4 hours; Fridge: 4 days; Freezer: 4 months.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageSarahPLiz:

8 days in the fridge (sniff before serving), up to 6 months in a deep freezer, 3-4 in a a regular freezer that gets opened all the time.

Defrost by placing the bag in warm water, or leave it overnight in the fridge.

You can certainly combine milk, but never shake it. As long as the milk is all the same temperature and close to the same age, it doesn't matter if you combine it. In fact, when I make DS's bottles for daycare, I put a little from each pumping session in each bottle, so all of the bottles are homogenous for the day.  

FOr freezing, I've found it helpful to freeze in 2 or 4 oz portions, since I don't want to defrost too much or have to defrost a whole other bag just to top off a bottle. 

This would be my answer too. Just remember when the milk is completely thawed you must use it in 24 hours.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagerchabalie:

The hospital I delivered at told me to remember the 4's. 

Room Temp: 4 hours; Fridge: 4 days; Freezer: 4 months.

I love this! Easy to remember!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"