3rd Trimester
Options

baby shower entertainment other than games?

Having my shower in less than a month! Me and the hostess are trying to figure out how to entertain guests without having to resort to cheesy shower games (no offense to anyone who likes these games, to each their own). Do you ladies have any suggestions? I thought of maybe setting up a crafts table, but since hostess is renting her HOA's clubhouse they have very strict clean up rules or suffer losing the hefty deposit. They don't want a single speck on the floor...etc. I know guests come to these events expecting games so I want to give them something else.. other than eating, mingling with strangers and then staring at each other...oh and btw, it is going to be co-ed with some of DH's coworkers as well. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

Re: baby shower entertainment other than games?

• Options
    A craft table will probably be pretty messy. When I had DD, they got me a white teddy bear that all the guests signed, I thought that was sweet. Or what about a wish book for the mother/baby? Something that everyone can write a little note to either the mother or the child wishing them luck and giving advice.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    2 words:  Male Strippers.  That would liven up a baby shower for sure!
    Big A 06-07-08 Little A 11-11-11
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I always loved showers that were more like a ladies brunch, lunch etc and not a ton of games. An easy one that is fun and gets coversations going (my mother in law did this at my bridal shower) is more of a get to know you "bingo" type game. You come up with a fun, creative fact for each person attending. Write down different ones on each card and hand out a card to each person. As everyone socializes they have to find the person who belongs to the facts on their card. At first I thought is was corny, but turned out to be so much fun. It got people talking and socializing and took up great time! Everyone loved it :) Good Luck!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I have heard of showers that have the women decorate little onesies which sounds cute. But if I was totally honest, it would feel like homework and a lot of pressure for my non artsy self.

How about a door prize kind of thing?  Maybe give everyone a number and then randomly draw numbers to pass out a prize or make that person stand up and give the mom advice.

Or maybe a video for the baby?  Have all the guests take turns leaving a message for the baby on a video?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What about a wish or advice tree?  Get one of those little mini table top trees (or just bare branches in a tall vase) and have your guests write a wish for the baby or advice to the mom on pretty tags hung with ribbon from the branches.  Then have the hostess read one to the mom, and the person who wrote that one gets a door prize. 
    Big A 06-07-08 Little A 11-11-11
  • Options

imageJMack1117:
    What about a wish or advice tree?  Get one of those little mini table top trees (or just bare branches in a tall vase) and have your guests write a wish for the baby or advice to the mom on pretty tags hung with ribbon from the branches.  Then have the hostess read one to the mom, and the person who wrote that one gets a door prize. 

Love this idea!! And seems very manageable/do-able. Thanks! 

• Options

Though it doesn't really take up much time, it is fun to see a baby picture of mom and dad.

BTW, I just went to one on Sunday that was only eating, mingling and opening gifts and it was still fun :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The friends who threw my last shower had a polaroid type camera and lots of little fun props and each person took a picture with me (much to my puffy-8-months-pregnant dismay) and then typed a little note for our family on an old-school typewriter.  They could decorate the notes with stamps and stuff.  All the pics and notes went into an album.  

They also did a photo scavenger hunt with simple clues like "yummy baked goods," "piles of presents," a beautiful bump."  It lasted the duration of the shower and it wasn't game-ish.  We used disposable cameras.  I thought it was a fun way for people to capture the details of the shower and I got to keep all the pictures : )

BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagecmnations:

The friends who threw my last shower had a polaroid type camera and lots of little fun props and each person took a picture with me (much to my puffy-8-months-pregnant dismay) and then typed a little note for our family on an old-school typewriter.  They could decorate the notes with stamps and stuff.  All the pics and notes went into an album.  

They also did a photo scavenger hunt with simple clues like "yummy baked goods," "piles of presents," a beautiful bump."  It lasted the duration of the shower and it wasn't game-ish.  We used disposable cameras.  I thought it was a fun way for people to capture the details of the shower and I got to keep all the pictures : )

This sounds like it would be so much fun! And with Halloween right around the corner... wigs, props, hats would be so easy to come by. Thanks PP! 

• Options

At my shower they did these: https://www.lilsugar.com/Heirloom-Baby-Shower-Games-Activities-2960734.   It was so much fun reading the answers - some very sweet, some very funny (i.e. hope you respect good beer, hope you grow sea monkeys, hope you grow a mustache....)  The guests seemed to enjoy filling them out and trying to come up w/ fun answers.  I'd definitely do it again. 

The onesie decorating that others mentioned can also be fun.  We did it at my sister's shower - if you use cover one table w/ newspapers, use fabric markers and have pieces of cardboard for inside the onesies (so the markers don't bleed through) - it shouldn't make any sort of mess at all.  People don't need to be artistic to do one - many people just wrote messages on theirs.  

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

At one of my baby showers we actually did crafts. And it was a lot of fun.

We had headbands and flowers and rhinestones and ribbon, etc. and guests could make headbands. And then we had onesies with iron on patches, where everyone could choose what to iron on. 

I've also been to showers where people make scrapbook pages for a baby book. Everything is laid out for those who aren't creative, i.e. christmas stuff for baby's 1st christmas, and then options for those that want to be creative too. That was a big hit as well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagekerrymass:

At my shower they did these: https://www.lilsugar.com/Heirloom-Baby-Shower-Games-Activities-2960734.   It was so much fun reading the answers - some very sweet, some very funny (i.e. hope you respect good beer, hope you grow sea monkeys, hope you grow a mustache....)  The guests seemed to enjoy filling them out and trying to come up w/ fun answers.  I'd definitely do it again. 

The onesie decorating that others mentioned can also be fun.  We did it at my sister's shower - if you use cover one table w/ newspapers, use fabric markers and have pieces of cardboard for inside the onesies (so the markers don't bleed through) - it shouldn't make any sort of mess at all.  People don't need to be artistic to do one - many people just wrote messages on theirs.  

Thanks for the link! I love those cards and think it's a great idea to combine with another PP's suggestion of a wishing tree. Guests can hang their completed cards on the tree :)

I'd love to do a onesie or bib decoration table, but where do you get blank ones on the cheap?? 

• Options
    imagecmnations:

LOVE this idea! It reminds me of the fun pics people take in wedding booths...if you wanna take it a step further, you can set up a polaroid station with some silly props and a background too :)

My mom did a raffle at my brother's baby shower...everyone who came just wrote a little note for the baby on a shower/baby-themed card (for future scrapbooking)...and every 30 mins my mom would draw someone's note from a basket and give a little gift to whoever won. 

A friend of mine suggested doing a diaper raffle- meaning advertise like...3 big prizes (or more, depends how many people you invite) to be raffled. It can be gift cards, or a gift basket or something like that. Whoever brings a pack of diapers (any size) will be entered into the raffle and maybe once an hour draw a prize? It wasn't mandatory so not everyone will participate, but you'll get a nice little stock of diapers started :)

?Little Love of my Life?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

At my shower, my aunt gave out prizes for the oldest mom, youngest mom, who had the oldest child, and youngest child.  You could expand on that with who has the most children, grandchildren, a birthday closest to your EDD, etc.  It's entertaining, people win stuff, and they don't actually have to do anything.

Married 08.19.06 ~ DS 9.30.11 ~ Baby #2 EDD 11.28.18

• Options
    Its a game but.... I went to one where all of the guys had a beer chugging contest but it was out of a baby bottle lol. Winner got it done in like 45 minutes. It was pretty funny.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My MIL and two of my best friends are throwing my shower. I only asked that they not have people measure my belly. I loathe that game.

They seem to be shying away from games as well--thinking that I'll be enough entertainment for everyone (not so sure about that). Whatever they plan, it will be a great time with family and friends. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm having the same issue. I came across this idea on a web site:

Create a baby time capsule. Ask guests to bring newspaper clippings, CDs of popular music, recent pictures of the expecting parents and other items that reflect today?s world. Have guests explain why they chose their particular mementos, and then add each guest?s item to a box decorated to reflect the shower?s theme. The soon-to-be mom can look forward to sharing the capsule?s contents with her child in years to come.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"