Military Families

Tricare and PPD

My daughter is 6wks now and I've been struggling with depression, I was kinda waiting to see if it was just baby blues or actual PPD. I've come to the conclusion that it is PPD, but I was wondering if Tricare provides you with counseling when you have depression or if you're on your own?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Tricare and PPD

• Ask your husband, if he doesn't know ask your doctor. I know there are counselors and you can talk to the chaplain as well I'm just not exactly sure how you go about doing it. Good luck.
  • Yes, Tricare will cover counseling. Call your PCM for a referral, or call Tricare directly.

I'm so sorry you're going through a rough time....just know that seeking help is the best thing that you can do for yourself and your LO! I hit a really rough patch when DS1 was around 9 months old, and was referred to an amazing counselor that really helped me sort things out. If I recall correctly, I was approved for maybe 8 or 10 counseling sessions to start, 100% covered by Tricare.

Good luck, sweetie.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, TRICARE covers depression. 

Per regulations, you can go to 8 psychological appointments without a referral (if you are enrolled in TRICARE Prime AND you go to a Provider who is in the network). 

Or you can call your OB or PCM for a referral.  If you explain the situaiton, there will be no problems.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • You can call military one source or MFLC as well especially if you are concerned about confidentiality.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagebelleaur:
    You can call military one source or MFLC as well especially if you are concerned about confidentiality.

yes!!!!

BabyFetus Ticker
    baby
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    danceonacloud.blogspot.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This is something you should discuss with your PCM instead of self diagnosing. Your PCM can give you the appropriate referrals- for a social worker, psychologist, or psychiatrist depending on your diagnosis and needs. The PCM can also prescribe meds if indicated.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • when i called tricare, they said yes, but only with a mental health diagnosis. meaning, you can't self diagnose ppd. call your ob!
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Well obviously I will talk to my doctor about all this, I just haven't gotten the chance to go in and I just wanted to find out about counseling. Thanks for your help everyone.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Do you have Prime or Standard? I have Prime and was able to get counseling for something unrelated without a referral no problem. All I had to do was go on the Tricare website and find a local provider, call, and make an appointment. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker

PCOS--TTC since 11/2010:   
    5 cycles of Clomid: all BFN, 1 cycle of Follistim:CP
    1 year break thanks to deployment.
    1 cycle Follistim: BFN, Lap to remove peritubal cyst May 2013
    2 cycles Follistim + trigger: BFN, Gonal F +IUI April 2014: BFP!!!!!! 

Boy/Girl Twins due Jan 5, 2015!!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"