February 2012 Moms
Options

Metformin.

Have any of you ladies started taking Metformin WHILE pregnant?

~Brooke

Re: Metformin.

• Options
    No, just before and for a little while after for PCOS.  Can I ask why?  Have you tested + for GD?
    image ~1500mg Metformin~M/C: 7 weeks~9/3/2008~D&C 9/16/2008
    Beta #1: 268 (16dpo) ~ Progesterone 54 ~ Beta #2: 541 (18dpo) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Is kind of an answer.  :)

I started taking it a month before my BFP for PCOS, I took it my first trimester and then slowly got off of it after that. Within about 3 weeks, I noticed I was having a lot of blood sugar headaches, so I talked to my doctor and she said I could go back on it (I'm only doing 1 pill a day).

From what I understand Metformin doesn't stay in your system for long, which is why I think it kind of counts.  :)

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker peri-partum cardio myopathy survivor
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes last October. I was orginally supposed to take 500mg twice a day but that was actually causing my blood sugar to be too low. So, I went to one pill per day and the same thing happened. So, I was taken off of the Metformin and I just monitored my levels very closely. However, my OB is sending me to an Endo dr next week. My levels aren't all that high but it still needs to be addressed. I am just wondering if they will put me back on Metformin or start me on insulin. I didn't know if it was safe to start taking Metformin in the middle of pregnancy.
    ~Brooke
  • Options
    I took Metformin before pregnancy and through first tri. Once I hit 2nd tri I stopped taking it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am type 2 diabetic but was always able to control my sugars with just diet except for when pregnant. My OB wanted me to go on metformin first but the endo dr. preferred going straight to insulin.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageBrookieA:
    I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes last October. I was orginally supposed to take 500mg twice a day but that was actually causing my blood sugar to be too low. So, I went to one pill per day and the same thing happened. So, I was taken off of the Metformin and I just monitored my levels very closely. However, my OB is sending me to an Endo dr next week. My levels aren't all that high but it still needs to be addressed. I am just wondering if they will put me back on Metformin or start me on insulin. I didn't know if it was safe to start taking Metformin in the middle of pregnancy.
    These would be good questions for the "High-risk" board. I had GD with my prior pregnancy and hung out there a lot to talk to other GD mamas. There were quite a few with Type II over there as well - and I think for the most part they had to switch to insulin instead of metformin in 2nd and 3rd tri. I also seem to remember tree was one person on some pill form of something to help with sugar levels - but it wasn't metformin. This new pill was discussed as an alternative to the insulin injections but from what other ladies were saying is that most docs don't like using it because not as good results as just insulin. Good luck with everything!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Metformin WHILE pregnant?? Double check with your doctor about that.  As a nurse one of the things that was drilled into us in nursing school was absolutely NO oral diabetes meds while pregnant - Insulin only.

Insulin is safe in any disease or physiological state because it is naturally created by our bodies

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was put on Metformin 1 month prior to my BFP for Insulin Resistance induced PCOS. I am 18 weeks and still on it. My doctor told me I can come off of it whenever I'd like because I am not having any side effects with it and the baby is growing just fine.

On a side note, what are all of you having? Boy or girl? Just curious

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I don't believe metformin is safe during pregnany. I was on it to get pregnant.
    BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers TTC since 1/09. 4 rounds clomid, 1 miscarriage, 2 rounds IVF, and 1 successful frozen embryo transfer with a donor embryo! Pregnant with our miracle baby, due February 6, 2012!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"