April 2012 Moms

Ts and Ps...because I am the world's BIGGEST baby!

Today I have my second appointment... and this is the one where I have the dreaded blood draw. I am TERRIFIED of needles, so terrified that it is actually embarrassing. I am really hoping that I don't completely freak out and cry/hyperventilate/cause a big scene. I get so whacked out, and I cannot control it. DH will be there to hold my hand, but seriously, I almost have hives thinking about it. My fear of needles was almost a deal breaker for getting pregnant. Now I wonder what in the heck I was thinking.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Ts and Ps...because I am the world's BIGGEST baby!

• Just don't watch and I'm sure you'll be fine. 

The finger prick at the NT scan hurts a billion times more than a blood draw!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Good luck! I'm sure DH will help you get through it. It must be a really annoying phobia to have, but at least you know it's a short time frame. No matter how horrible it is, it will be over quickly!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • It is very annoying. I would love to be able to donate blood...but there is just no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that I would even consider doing it, because I know I would be a total mess and it would be embarrassing and I know I wouldn't actually be able to go through with it.
  • imagedixee.deluxe:

Just don't watch and I'm sure you'll be fine. 

The finger prick at the NT scan hurts a billion times more than a blood draw!

Definitely don't watch! I'm normally ok with needles, but for some reason when I had my blood draw a couple weeks ago, I was really nervous when she had me put my arm out. So I ended up closing my eyes and turning my head away. It wasn't bad when I didn't know it was coming.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP #1 8/1/11, MMC 10/5/11, D&C 11/1/11
     BFP #2 5/28/13, EDD 1/17/14. Elliott - 12/31/13
  • Im right there with you. I passed out, threw up and they had to carry me to another room to lay down when i 1st had it done with my son. 

Be strong and TELL THEM flat out that you aren't good with needles, if there are other people in the same room getting their blood taken tell them you want to be put in a private room..they have them. If they say "you'll be fine" Say no i wont, i need to be laying down because I will pass out. (even if you haven't before, lie) I am flat out honest with people to take my blood now. If you are very upfront some of them will be very nice and help you, some as asses but who cares you do what you have to do. 

I promise over time it will get easier, i still have a hard time but am very blunt with the people and it helps a lot.
    Boy Stole my Heart
    Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Good luck! Don't look.  My daughter took after me....no needle fear...ever since she was little she would watch them poke me.  She is now 9, about to be 10 soon.  She had bloodwork over the summer...they took 9 vials and she watched them the whole time!

So I guess you won't get an epidural then or you may...you can't see it going in your back.

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • imageLina1030:

Good luck! Don't look.  My daughter took after me....no needle fear...ever since she was little she would watch them poke me.  She is now 9, about to be 10 soon.  She had bloodwork over the summer...they took 9 vials and she watched them the whole time!

So I guess you won't get an epidural then or you may...you can't see it going in your back.

HOLY COW!!! i wanna be like this!! I can't even look at the IV port after they have taken the needle out hahaha. I did have an epidural though...the pain made my fear go away on that one!
    Boy Stole my Heart
    Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageLina1030:

Good luck! Don't look.  My daughter took after me....no needle fear...ever since she was little she would watch them poke me.  She is now 9, about to be 10 soon.  She had bloodwork over the summer...they took 9 vials and she watched them the whole time!

HOLY COW!!! i wanna be like this!! I can't even look at the IV port after they have taken the needle out hahaha. I did have an epidural though...the pain made my fear go away on that one!
    Boy Stole my Heart
  • imageJudesmom09:
    imageLina1030:

she is super brave.  I have taught her that the drs, dentists are here to help so there is no need to be afraid...and I guess it shows in her demeanor.  it also helps that the drs/dentists etc we have been to have an awesome bedside manor.  She has had teeth extracted...the last one had the wildest roots! Our dentist (she goes to our family dentist) said how brave she is and that tooth was like pulling an adult tooth because of the roots...she did not even flinch with the novacaine shot or extraction.  I had a root canal recently and same thing...our dentist think we are Shera and Shera Jr! LOL

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • imageLina1030:
    imageJudesmom09:
    imageLina1030:

she is super brave.  I have taught her that the drs, dentists are here to help so there is no need to be afraid...and I guess it shows in her demeanor.  it also helps that the drs/dentists etc we have been to have an awesome bedside manor.  She has had teeth extracted...the last one had the wildest roots! Our dentist (she goes to our family dentist) said how brave she is and that tooth was like pulling an adult tooth because of the roots...she did not even flinch with the novacaine shot or extraction.  I had a root canal recently and same thing...our dentist think we are Shera and Shera Jr! LOL

That's really awesome!
    Boy Stole my Heart
  • imageJudesmom09:
    imageLina1030:

I have such a fear that I cannot watch needles on TV, and I cannot even look at a syringe even if I'm no where near it. I guess nobody will ever have to worry about me shooting up heroin!

• I used be EXACTLY like you...but I had to get over it after finding out I was hypothyroid, because I had to get bloodwork done alllll the time...I used to feel sick and lose all my color and feel like I was going to pass out, but I'm so much better now.  Some advice, don't think about it beforehand (as much as it's possible), make sure you can lie down (during, and after) if you feel like you may get sick, and try and distract yourself.  I think that's the biggest thing for me, is to distract myself from what's actually going on.  I've found that either carrying on a conversation with the nurse or my DH helps, but I've also found that if I put a piece of gum in my mouth, and I concentrate really hard on chewing that gum and taking deep breaths through my nose, that I'm not really thinking about the needle or anything blood related.  And I definitely second the "don't look" advice.  Usually they'll tell you "ok the needle is coming now" or something like that...and if they're really good, you hardly feel anything at all.  The worst part is just sitting there for the few minutes it takes for the vials to be taken, and if you don't distract yourself it feels much longer.  Good luck!  I know you can do it- I've been there and you will be fine!
  • I use to be like you.  I would be terrified at the thought of needles.  I had two surgeries before I went through IF treatments for DS.  I was absolutely terrified of the IV for my first surgery until I realized it was in and I didn't feel them putting it in.  The second surgery they tried 4 different areas to get the anesthesia in, that was horrible and then I woke up in the surgery (it was for my wisdom teeth, I remember them breaking one of them and hearing that sound and then nothing--on my bill I noticed they gave me extra anesthesia so I stick to my story of waking up during the surgery).  When I went through treatments, I had blood drawn every 2 weeks, that mostly got over my fear.  When I was pregnant I developed GD and I had to do finger sticks after every meal, still not too bad.  I even had the courage to give myself insulin shots (because DS was huge and my sugars were well controlled, MFM thought something else had to be contributing to it so I was put on nightly insulin).  I was actually able to watch the needle go in.  I've had some bad needle sticks, especially with this pregnancy but I know to tell the guy not to use that arm anymore. I still have the bruise from my beta on my one arm that I had done at 4w0d. 

Now at my NT with DS I they stuck the back of my hand and I didn't think it was horrible. 

Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • I used to be this way too- mainly because the first time I had blood drawn a couple years ago, the girl apparently wasn't very good at doing it, and she kept poking me over and over (and over) trying to find a vein. It was not pleasant.

But they did a blood draw for my first appointment a couple weeks ago, and I just didn't look- and I didn't feel the needle at ALL. As long as the person doing it knows what they're doing, you probably won't even feel it!

Sarah

~Sarah

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Since I had to go through an infertility doc to get preg, i've been getting blood draws every week or two since April. I HATE blood draws. HATE HATE HATE HATE. I lay down every time and have been doing better. I passed out once before which is how I learned to always ask to lay down, and once since April even with laying down. What I've been doing is bringing a bottle of water with me, I drink some on my way to the appt, some walking into the building, some after checking in, some while they are getting everything ready to take the blood and keep the bottle with me. As soon as they are done I drink more water and I've done MUCH better with it. Also, never looking at what they are doing and focusing on my breathing. HTH
  • I tell them I have problems before they touch me and ask for the butterfly needle. If the person is really good, I don't feel a thing. I shut my eyes and talk to them through it and that helps. Good luck!!
  • I am very much like you. The last time I had blood drawn (three weeks ago), I immediately took off the tape and cotton ball and my arm felt so much better. I think my problem, in addition to having a fear of the initial prick, is that when I feel the tugging of the tape they put on afterwards, I am reminded of the needle. I know this sounds really crazy but taking that off right away really helped me to not think about what just happened.

Emerson Kate born 4/6/12, 5 lbs. 13 oz. 18 3/4 inches.

Happily expecting Baby Mac #2 around 4/13/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"