Secondary IF

Anyone here decide to not do any ART at all?

I have a very slim chance of conceiving again, I have DOR with AMA.  Several REs I've seen have suggested 'straight to IVF'.  While I tend to agree that in terms of ART, my condition probably does warrant the 'straight to IVF' approach, I'm thinking that I'm not going to do it.   Why?

Well, I've been given about a 1% chance of conceiving ... very high FSH, very low AMH.  I've been reading about all of the drugs/procedures/etc that I'll have to be going through with IVF/medications.  I already get migraines, I already don't sleep well, I already have a daughter, who was conceived spontaneously, so I've been thinking to myself recently ... why would I put my already fragile reproductive and emotional state through all the medication/procedures/etc if the chance of success is still very low?   One RE actually said to me that I have a better chance conceiving on my own than through ART. 

 It's not so much that I don't want another child, but if my chances don't increase significantly with IVF, then why put myself through it?  I have insurance coverage, so the OOP costs wouldn't be exorbitant, but insurance is limited to a "4 ER and you're out" lifetime maximum benefit.  So if it doesn't happen in 4 ER, then we're 100% OOP.

 Has anyone decided to not do ANY ART with 2IF?

Re: Anyone here decide to not do any ART at all?

  • We aren't doing any ART. I want to but dh doesn't "want to pay" to get pregnant. He had agreed to one IUI, but I have decided against it because if it doesn't work, I'll want more.

    I am unexplained. DD was conceived spontaneously with having sex only once that entire cycle (we were also TTA). My hsg showed a blocked right tube which is now clear. At my RE consult she said I had less than 20% chance that most couples get per cycle (history, etc.). The IUI would put us at that 20% chance. I am holding out hope that the blocked tube being cleared has sprung us to having the 20% chance.

    If I had your coverage, I would jump on it. :) Unfortunately we are OOP 100%. Insurance only covers 80% with a diagnosis, but that does not include any ART or meds of any kind.

    My Little
  • I dont know if this counts, but we're not doing IVF or IUI.  The IUI isn't really beneficial to us as we have no MFI, and my issues so far as they can tell resolve primarily around ovulation, which can be controlled for through Femara.  Though no luck yet - been almost 3 years TTC #2.  I've never had an HSG (OOP til now) so I plan on having one before December, but other than that we're not going to take additional steps.  It gets frustrating at times, because I sometimes fall into the trap of thinking of IVF as a quick fix.  The rational me knows that's not the case.  And honestly, not that it wouldn't be worth it, but I also feel that my body is in such a fragiule hormonal state as it is, I'd rather do what I can to help my body naturally than to artificially recreate what is supposed to happen through the use of meds.  There are just too many variables there.  (I tend to lean toward natural living in all aspects of living, so this is not limited to ART really).  To top that off, DH has some spiritual reservations.  So while I may not ever have another child, I know that I'm doing as much as I'm comfortable with.  While that's not always enough to provide comfort, I think I'll be happy with my decision when looking back.  GL to all of us!
    Dori image
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

    Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

    Keep it Natural, Baby!
  • I struggle with this decision daily. I have Stage 3 Endometriosis and only one tube.  And I'm 40.  We got KU with dd first cycle at 37 so all of this was kind of a shock to say the least.  I had surgery this year to remove some cysts and the endo, so I've almost met my out of pocket max, so aside from a few hundred dollars, anything I do this year will be covered 100%, including IVF.  I'm having an HSG on Wed to see if my remaining tube is blocked.  If it is not blocked, I have to decide if we want to try injectibles w/ my one tube, or go straight to IVF to try and get at least one cycle in before the end of the year.

    I can't decide what to do.  I struggle with this decision daily, and whether or not I want to put myself through everything if the odds of conceiving are small. I'm in the midst of full cycle testing so I need to figure out exactly what my odds are after we do all of the testing and make a decision.  GL to you, I know how hard it is.

    image
    Taylor Kate 6.4.08
    image

    Secondary IF: Age 40, Ovarian cysts, Stage 3 Endometriosis, lost right tube,

    remaining tube partially blocked. FSH 7.8 | AMH 1.02

    IVF #1 Antagonist cycle, ER: 13R, 9F, 1 frozen

    5dt on 11/1 of one beautiful, perfect blast with zero fragmentation

    Very cautious BFP!!


    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I hear you ... my DD was conceived before I even started charting/tracking.  And I know that we have good insurance coverage, and I should be warmer to the idea, but I'm just not.  I've gone back and forth and back and forth, and we got so far as to receiving the consent forms ... but when we started reading them, and all the things that we have to agree to/not agree to/etc ... I just was like, "I don't want to have to do that." 

    Mainly it was regarding "excess" embryos.  My conscience can't/won't consent to having them destroyed or donated, but if I can't carry them, then what are we to do?

    And then I started reviewing the proposed IVF protocol, and researching the procedures, drugs and side effects, and I was just like, "I *really* don't want to deal with this."

    Neither DH nor myself feel that our family is incomplete without another baby, so maybe that's why we're thinking the way we do. 

  • image ChicNotGeek:

    I hear you ... my DD was conceived before I even started charting/tracking.  And I know that we have good insurance coverage, and I should be warmer to the idea, but I'm just not.  I've gone back and forth and back and forth, and we got so far as to receiving the consent forms ... but when we started reading them, and all the things that we have to agree to/not agree to/etc ... I just was like, "I don't want to have to do that." 

    Mainly it was regarding "excess" embryos.  My conscience can't/won't consent to having them destroyed or donated, but if I can't carry them, then what are we to do?

    And then I started reviewing the proposed IVF protocol, and researching the procedures, drugs and side effects, and I was just like, "I *really* don't want to deal with this."

    Neither DH nor myself feel that our family is incomplete without another baby, so maybe that's why we're thinking the way we do. 

    Gosh, I haven't even gotten to that part yet - and I have no idea what we would do either.  

    And I agree with the last bolded part - but there is also a fear if I will regret it if we don't try.  Such a difficult decision!

    image
    Taylor Kate 6.4.08
    image

    Secondary IF: Age 40, Ovarian cysts, Stage 3 Endometriosis, lost right tube,

    remaining tube partially blocked. FSH 7.8 | AMH 1.02

    IVF #1 Antagonist cycle, ER: 13R, 9F, 1 frozen

    5dt on 11/1 of one beautiful, perfect blast with zero fragmentation

    Very cautious BFP!!


    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Well, we are finished with ART OOP.  But if our insurance situation changed, we'd get on it.

    I'm the 41 year old with AMG dropping off a cliff, and know that IVF with ICSI and PGD is our best chance. And know that I'm not likely to have excess embies.

    I would do it in a heartbeat if it were covered. Meanwhile, we are back to natural, the only thing I'm doing besides supplements is acupuncture.

    I wish you luck in your decisions, it's just so personal.

    The joy of his first LC cupcake!


    image
    image
    image


    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

    Dori image
  • We had originally considered IUI, but are now rethinking it since we don't have MFI anymore. (Completely unexpected between DD and now.) We would not do IVF, either, for the reasons mentioned above (excess embies being the strongest reason for us). So, we're trying clomid and metformin and we'll go from there. If, however, it doesn't look likely, we will probably just stop and thank goodness for the blessing of one healthy child.
    IMG_8724 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_8895 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is another issue for me.  My problem is around ovulation, too.  I have a 'perfect' uterus and tubes; my problem is ovulation.  So why can't we start with medications to encourage ovulation first.  I have far fewer issues with taking medication, even if I dislike the side effects/etc.

    I think I understand why they suggest 'straight to IVF' ... to basically guarantee that an egg and sperm will be in each other's company at the same time ... but we don't have problems with fertilization or implantation, the problem is ovulation. 

    But I'm too scared to ask the doctor about it because doctor's hate to be challenged, and I don't want to create any 'weirdness' with him since he's the third RE that I've seen, and he has proven to be the only competent doctor for my condition.

  • With DOR and insurance paying 4 cycles, I'd go straight to IVF if I really wanted another child.

    If you don't have POF--that is, you're in your upper 30s/early 40s--the chances of extra embryos are very low.  People with DOR are usually great to get even 8 eggs retrieved--4 is much more common.  And half of them or more typically don't make it to transfer.  And they transfer 3-4 embryos typically in older patients when they have them.

    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    TTC since 6/02 (age 22) K/U instantly despite no AF for 5 months--preemie baby boy 1/03
    M/C 11/04 - M/C 05 - M/C 06 - BFP 2/08--fullterm baby girl 10/08 - M/C 4/11 - went to RE at age 31
    DX: crappy quality & infrequent ovulation, mild MFI
    Stimmed cycle #1 C/P 7/11 - Stimmed cycle #2 C/P 8/11 - Stimmed cycle #4 C/P 10/11
    On Stimmed Cycle #5
    Always thought I'd be a "mom of many"--now just hoping to be a "mom of one or two more!"
  • Good point.  I guess I'm forgetting that I may not get many eggs!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards