Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Do progesterone suppositories stall a miscarriage?

I realize this is kind of a newbie question - and I have found conflicting answers when I googled. Will the suppositories inhibit an impending miscarriage if the pregnancy is not viable?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do progesterone suppositories stall a miscarriage?

• Options
    In my experience, no. I still miscarried early even though I was taking progesterone.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• Options
    I don't think (and I mean think) that they won't stall a miscarriage that would happen for chromosomal reasons. I think eventually there would be breakthrough bleeding indicating a problem.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's what I figured.... thanks for the info!
  • Options

I'm going to answer a bit differently.  Eventually you will miscarry, because hcg won't last forever, but yes, progesterone can delay an impending miscarriage.  That is precisely the reason the OB (who I saw as an emergency patient because my progesterone levels were low, not my regular) would not give me a prescription for supplementation.  He said it could cause a missed miscarriage.  Even though I was ok with that, explaining that I understood that progesterone would not save a chromosomally abnormal pregnancy and that I would have early ultrasounds anyway, he refused.

It won't keep you pregnant forever, but it can keep you pregnant longer than you would be without the progesterone.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• Options
    imageeasjer05:

I'm going to answer a bit differently.  Eventually you will miscarry, because hcg won't last forever, but yes, progesterone can delay an impending miscarriage.  That is precisely the reason the OB (who I saw as an emergency patient because my progesterone levels were low, not my regular) would not give me a prescription for supplementation.  He said it could cause a missed miscarriage.  Even though I was ok with that, explaining that I understood that progesterone would not save a chromosomally abnormal pregnancy and that I would have early ultrasounds anyway, he refused.

It won't keep you pregnant forever, but it can keep you pregnant longer than you would be without the progesterone.

I'm on oral progesterone and this is what my OB told me.

• Options
    I absolutely believe it did "stall" my 1st m/c.   I was spotting but if I wouldn't have been the progesterone the bleeding and m/c would have happened a lot sooner.   As soon as I stopped the suppositories the full m/c started.  It prolonged things by at least 2-3 weeks. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options
    With my last loss I believed it stalled my chemical pregnancy about 2 weeks.  I am finally bleeding and passing everything after waiting forever with breakthrough spotting and low/non-doubling betas.  I feel like I stopped my progesterone expecting to start to bleed and it took FOREVER it felt like.  My other 5 losses didn't take that long and I wasn't on progesterone from them.
  • Options
    With my most recent loss, I do think it stalled my miscarriage.  The baby was only 6w2d when it stopped growing and we didn't find out until 8 1/2 weeks.  It was only after I stopped taking the progesterone that the miscarriage started.  That said, it won't stop a miscarriage, just make it take longer to happen.
    Pg#1- Benjamin born 2/22/10
    Pg#2 BFP 11/2010... chemical pregnancy late 11/2010
    Pg#3 BFP 02/2011...missed m/c 3/2011
    Pg#4 Adalynne born 5/12/12
    Pg#5 BFP 12/2012....chemical pregnancy 1/2012
    Pg#6 BFP 11/14/12....chemical pregnancy 11/2012
    Pg#7 BFP 2/3/14... loss after a heartbeat and D&C 3/2014
    Pg#8 BFP 9/1/15...waiting to see!

• Options
    I think it stalls it. When we did IVF my betas had halved instead of doubled but no bleeding. As soon as I stopped the progesterone, the bleeding started.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"