Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Zantac Flavor Question?

Just started the zantac and mine is a peppermint flavor. Just wondering if everyone elses is that flavor. If it's standard?? She doesn't like to take it and just wondered if I can get another flavor.. Thanks Ladies :)

Re: Zantac Flavor Question?

• We aren't using it (yet), but my doc told me that mint is the only flavor. He said it is used for elderly people that are in like nursing homes and that is why it is mint flavor. So I am pretty sure no other flavor options, but he could be wrong. You might ask your pharmacist, I am sure they would know more than the Ped would.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have the same question, my baby is finally getting used to the medicine, but he still makes funny faces when I give it to him.
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine is peppermint as well.  I think the alcohol in it bothers him, not so much the peppermint flavor.

I take the nipple from his bottle and pour a tiny bit of formula into it.  While he is sucking it I squeeze in the Zantac.  He sucks it right down and doesn't know the difference. 

• I work in a pharmacy and we flavor Zantac all the time!  It is only available as peppermint, but we can add grape flavor to it (that's the only flavor that we can add to it).  I know at Target it's free of charge and at Walmart is $1.88...  I'm not sure where you get your meds at, but for sure ask them if they will flavor it for you, it should be no problem!
  • Totally lurking and looking at all these cute babies! As for Zantac, only flavor is Zantac, BUT some places can add a flavor to it. We had a local pharmacy and they could add cherry to it. DD still hated it but it was much more tolerable. Call around especially smaller pharmacies. They are good at that stuff.
  • We started Zantac last night and its peppermint flavor. LO hated the taste and spit it out. Same this morning. I called the pediatrician office and was told to add it to his bottle and he wont notice. I just gave him his second dose for the day and add it to the bottle, he drunk the whole thing.  Try adding it to her bottle, hopefully she wont notice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagefcp1234:
    Try adding it to her bottle, hopefully she wont notice.

Good advice, but I'd like to add that it would be better to add the dose to just a little bit of the bottle that you know for a fact LO will finish, that way you know for sure that LO is getting the full dose.  If you add it to a full bottle and LO doesn't finish it then you can also assume that LO didn't get their full dose of the medicine.  Same goes for all other medicine that you'd like to give your kiddo.

Ex:  Add your dose of Zantac to 1/2oz of milk.  Have LO polish off that bottle, then add the rest of the bottle and let LO go to town. 

• If you have a Walgreens near you, I know that they can flavor medications for children.
  • i brought home some medicine flavoring drops from our local pharmacy to help mask my child minty zantac taste.i was desperate to find something to mask that horrible and bitter taste.i tried myself and i understand why my child will not take it...the pharmacist told me to use the flavorplus grape flavoring and it somehow did the job.i dont notice my son gagging anymore when its time to give him the medicine.give it a shot!
  • Odd, we have cherry.  My doc specifically told me not to add it to a bottle, not sure why.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're on zantac and I didn't even know it HAD flavor. Either way, my honey doesn't like it, but I think she's getting used to it - the fits are becoming less dramatic anyway.
  • roo1ooroo1oo member
    If you're giving a bottle, try adding the zantac to just the nipple separate from the bottle and adding a little formula in with the zantac. Once LO has sucked all of the mix from the nipple, pop the nipple on the bottle and feed as normal. You don't want to mix it because you want to be sure LO gets a full dose. 

I tried getting Zantac flavored for my LO and it didn't make a difference to him. He has no problems taking it now. 
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My LO is on Zantac and we are fortunate that he takes it well. Pharmacist said they could add grape flavor to it and Pedi advised not adding to bottle as LO may not take bottles as well.
  • Our pharmacy at our grocery added grape flavor for us. LO still doesn't like it. :/

Also, my ped told me it was "best" to give it to LO 30 min prior to a bottle. That's difficult sometimes And honestly doesn't always happen. Was anyone else told this? I understand the concern about adding it to a bottle and LO not finishing it, but if I could at least give it to him & immediately give him a bottle to wash it down, that would be helpful. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • We had ours filled at CVS and added grape. She takes it much better now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"