Infertility

Crinone Side Effect Question

Hi all - I'm on my 1st ever IVF cycle. Had my ET done yesterday (3rd day - 2 embryos, 6 cells & 8 cells). Last night was my first Crinone gel 8% application. I've heard a lot of scary stories about the side effects of Crinone. My doctor also told me to expect pregnancy-imitating syndromes such as nausea, vomiting, mood swing, bloating, etc. She also told me that usually women who have these pregnant-like symptoms are the ones who actually do get pregnant after IVF.

So far I haven't had any of the above symptoms. I'm just worried that I might be applying it wrong (not deep enough)? Or does that mean my body's not reacting to the progesterone? Will keep taking for 15 days. How long is it usually before the side effects start to appear?

Has anyone else used Crinone and experienced no side effects like me? Help!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Crinone Side Effect Question

• imagejingga18:

Hi all - I'm on my 1st ever IVF cycle. Had my ET done yesterday (3rd day - 2 embryos, 6 cells & 8 cells). Last night was my first Crinone gel 8% application. I've heard a lot of scary stories about the side effects of Crinone. My doctor also told me to expect pregnancy-imitating syndromes such as nausea, vomiting, mood swing, bloating, etc. She also told me that usually women who have these pregnant-like symptoms are the ones who actually do get pregnant after IVF.

So far I haven't had any of the above symptoms. I'm just worried that I might be applying it wrong (not deep enough)? Or does that mean my body's not reacting to the progesterone? Will keep taking for 15 days. How long is it usually before the side effects start to appear?

Has anyone else used Crinone and experienced no side effects like me? Help!

Not true. Progesterone gives me pregnancy-like symptoms with every cycle that I take it. It might mean that your progesterone level is nice and high, but it doesn't mean that you will be pregnant.

It takes me a few days of progesterone to feel the effects.

Best of luck!!!

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • Thanks a lot for the info. I'm at the edge of my seat the whole day waiting for the "devil gel"'s side effects to appear. Will try to chill a little now.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been on Crinone 10 days and I've definitely been having some phantom pregnancy symptoms, but it's not that bad. Maybe a little breaking out on my chest, bloating and some crampiness, and vomiting/nausea. Not sure yet if it's the real deal or not though lol, I had my IUI last weekend...my beta is the 19th, so I'll know for sure then if it's just the Crinone or if I'm actually pregnant. :)

I don't think it really matters how deep it goes in. I pretty much insert the full length up to wear the squeezy part is at the top while I'm laying on my back. I had a few side effects the first few days but I think they were more from the IUI. I started getting the vomiting and nausea over the weekend, so it took about a week before I had those symptoms.

• imagekellyrn9956:
    imagejingga18:

Not true. Progesterone gives me pregnancy-like symptoms with every cycle that I take it. It might mean that your progesterone level is nice and high, but it doesn't mean that you will be pregnant.

It takes me a few days of progesterone to feel the effects.

Best of luck!!!

Yes, unfortunately this is not true at all. I personally think crinone is the "devils gel". Seriously, I have gotten every symptom under the sun with it and have not been pregnant. I think you are just one of those lucky people who don't get the side effects. As long as you are inserting it as far as you can and making sure you get the most out of the applicator you should be fine. Good luck

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    TTC since March/April 2010
    DX: MFI - less than 1 million sperm, 26% motility
    DH put on anastrozole to increase counts
    June/July 2011 100 mg Clomid + TS IUI#1 & IUI 2 - BFN :-(
    Forced break due to DH getting spinal surgery in August 2011
    IVF - January 2012: BFN
    FET in April 2012 - BFP at 6dp5dt! Beta #1 at 9dp5dt: 82.5, Beta #2 at 12dp5dt: 352 Beta #3 at 19dp5dt: 6000, saw heartbeat and one little bean at 5W6D!
    After nearly 3 years of waiting our LO was born December 18th 2012!
  • The side effects for me took a couple days to kick in.  The first few days I was normal so I thought I was in the clear.  By day 3 or 4 they were there full force and I had them all until a couple days after AF started.
    Brenda & Phillip married 10/10/09 

After 6 years of failed cycles, we were blessed with our little man through adoption. 
    B born 1/3/2012. Adoption finalized 12/27/12

Back  on the IF crazy train...
    Sept 2013 - IVF #1 -  BFP, EDD 6/4/14, born 6/8/14
    Everyone welcome

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I took it, I do not recall having the the pregnancy side effects from it- but I did have the nasty discharge with clumps (sorry - tmi, but true).  

I am now on Prometrium oral progesterone supplements for this 2nd pg, and it full-on makes me sick. I have to take it at night bc I get far too dizzy and ill to walk around within 20 min of swallowing the 200mg pill.  Ugh.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"