Natural Birth

Interviewing Doula tomorrow (HELP!)

This is my first pregnancy, so when I became dead set on having a natural birth I found through my research that I'd greatly benefit from having a Doula. I have a disease that lowers my pain threshold to next to nothing and makes my nerves almost hyperactive during physical stress. So I thought that the pain control techniques might benefit me some. Another reason being my DH is military so I have no family in the area and unfortunately lost both my adoptive and biological Moms within the past year. I thought a Doula would be great to have not only as a advocate for me but for that female kind of support. My DH has only recently been "getting into" the pregnancy and I have a feeling if I have a moment of weakness and say something about an epidural he would cave and grab the first nurse anesthetist or anesthesiologist available! I also want my best friend to be there with me for a while but her and DH do not get along so I need a steady person who is only focused on me to be with me. 

I am meeting with one of the only Doulas in my area this afternoon. She is  DONA certified and has a very compassionate nature from what I can see in her testimonials and from her emails back and forth with me. Any ladies that have had Doulas out there, do you have any advice on choosing a Doula? Any specific questions I should ask? Or even things that benefitted you most by having a Doula attend your birth? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!  

Re: Interviewing Doula tomorrow (HELP!)

• MH and I interviewed three doulas and some of the questions we asked were:

- What is your philosophy on birth?

- Details on number of prenatal visits included in her package, will they come to our house first during labor, how many postpardum visits, fees.

- How long have they been a doula and why did they go into the field?

- Are they certified?  If so, with which organization?

- Do they have certain expectations of the couples they work with?

We liked all of the doulas we interviewed and all were well qualified, but ultimately we chose the one that we clicked with the best and who we thought would be a helpful and calming presence during labor and delivery.  Good luck with your search.  I think it's a great idea to hire a doula! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 6.17.10 - natural M/C 5w2d
    BFP #2 8.4.10 - missed M/C, D&C 8w
    BFP #3 1.18.11 - natural M/C 5w1d
    BFP #4 5.6.11 - 13dpo: hcg 68, p 16.3; 16dpo: hcg 211,
    p16.6; 18dpo: hcg 416, p 15.6; 25dpo: hcg 6,007
    DS born 1/30/12
    BFP #5 4.28.13 - LO due 1/4/14

• When interviewing a birth doulaTell me about your experience as a birth doula.What is your philosophy about birth and supporting women and their partners through labor?May we meet to discuss our birth plans and the role you will play in supporting me through birth?May we call you with questions or concerns before and after the birth?When do you try to join women in labor? Do you come to our home or meet us at the place of birth?Do you meet with us after the birth to review the labor and answer questions?http://www.dolphinyoga.com/meet-the-doula-night/
  • Check the FAQ in my siggy for some doula threads.

Go with your gut. She should be someone you like and can trust. The other stuff matters, but not as much as how you feel about her.