Babies: 0 - 3 Months

baby tylenol/ pediacare for 2 month shots

Did you give baby tylenol or pediacare before ur LO's 2 month shots? How soon before did you give them the medicine...also how much...I need to call LO's doctors office tomorrow to double check the dosage!
imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: baby tylenol/ pediacare for 2 month shots

• I wouldn't do it before and it might not even be necessary after.  I would only give it if LO had a fever of over 100.4. 

• The nurse at our pedi's recommended a 1/2 dose for before the shots. LO slept after them and never had a fever Not saying it stopped it from happening but it worked for us!
  • Loading the player...
  • Our pedi said it's pretty well documented that tylenol before the shots lowers the immune reaction and therefore the efficacy.  He said tylenol after the shots and only if LO got a fever.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't give anything before the shots unless instructed to do so by your pedi.  There has been some research suggesting that tylenol before may reduce the effectiveness of the vaccines. 

https://children.webmd.com/vaccines/news/20091015/tylenol-may-weaken-infant-vaccines

ETA:  Added link

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have been advised for before. It not only can reduce fever, but is also for aches and pains...I know how my arm feels after I've gotten a shot, can only imagine DS's after....poor little guy! Left Hug
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's not necessary before but possibly necessary after, either if LO has a fever or if LO seems extra fussy. Under 25lbs I think is .4ml.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i would wait until after the shots to give tylenol, based on your LO's reaction.  the pedi can give you the correct dosage according to LO's weight.  

i was advised to give tylenol before the 4 month shots (1 hour prior) since DD had a low-grade fever from her 2 month shots.   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLStorms:
    Our pedi said it's pretty well documented that tylenol before the shots lowers the immune reaction and therefore the efficacy.  He said tylenol after the shots and only if LO got a fever.

Ditto, and honestly I'd side-eye any pediatrician that says to give tylenol before the shots, given the recent research.

• We bought baby tylenol for after the shots, but she never spiked a fever so we didn't give it to her.  I didn't want to medicate her unnecessarily.  She actually did really well with her shots - just slept a lot.  

The only problem we've found after her 2 mo appointment is that now she doesn't like to take her vitamin D medicine.  She had taken it from the dropper really well since birth.  Then at her 2 mo visit, she was given an oral medication of some sort and she got really upset by that.  The dumb nurse rushed it down her throat and she choked.  So, guess what.  Now as soon as I put the dropper of vitamin D to her lips she cries and cries and cries.  It was so easy before!  :(

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• i bought it after and never needed to use it.  I would see how your child reacts first before giving them unnecessary medicine
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • you should never give tylenol before vaccines. it could mask a fever and they should not recieve vaxs if there is a fever present. if necessary, give tylenol after.
    old bumpie, new name ds1 3/2009 ds2 6/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"