Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Baby girls- grabbing crotch?

Well not "grabbing" per se, but you know what I mean. I've seen loads of baby boys doing this in my years of working in childcare, but not really girls. Just the last couple days Evie's been reaching down there during diaper changes, and sometimes when she's playing on her back I see her hand moving around down there. What I'm worried about is could this be the sign of some kind of infection (yeast, uti, etc) and she's doing it bc she's uncomfortable or itchy down there? No rash, no unusual fussiness. We use cloth diapers. What do you guys think? Am I being weirdly paranoid and it's totally normal?
imageimage
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DD born 4/25/11
m/c 8/10/13 at 5.5 weeks
missed m/c 4/15/14 at 11.5 weeks, D&C 4/17/14
BFP 6/22/14, Scheduled c/s 2/23/15, It's a Girl!!  

Re: Baby girls- grabbing crotch?

• It might be something that isn't that obvious to the naked eye.....on the extreme, it could be something like a small fistula down near her privates. My friends' baby had one, and the only way she found it was because her baby would cry inconsolably and reach down there. Maybe ask the pedi to give her an exam?
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • DD has discovered her crotch in the last week. During baths and sometimes during diaper changes and randomly, her hand goes there and she scratches, or just does an open-close with her hand, which she does when she's touching anything 'new.' I've also been wondering if something could be going on...but I don't see anything to be concerned about.

She HAS been fussy over the last couple days, but I took it to be gas from starting solids. Now I'm nervous. Let me know if you find anything interesting out - you can page me here. I'll keep an eye on mine for a while and will let you know if I end up bringing her to her pedi!

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageskio:

DD has discovered her crotch in the last week. During baths and sometimes during diaper changes and randomly, her hand goes there and she scratches, or just does an open-close with her hand, which she does when she's touching anything 'new.' I've also been wondering if something could be going on...but I don't see anything to be concerned about.

She HAS been fussy over the last couple days, but I took it to be gas from starting solids. Now I'm nervous. Let me know if you find anything interesting out - you can page me here. I'll keep an eye on mine for a while and will let you know if I end up bringing her to her pedi!

This is EXACTLY what Evie does, open/close or like she's scratching! I watch her face when she does it though, and she doesn't seem irritated or uncomfortable or anything like that. Maybe they're just checking things out.... I'll let you know if anything comes of it. :)

ETA: Love your baby girl's headband. :)

imageimage

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DD born 4/25/11
    m/c 8/10/13 at 5.5 weeks
    missed m/c 4/15/14 at 11.5 weeks, D&C 4/17/14
    BFP 6/22/14, Scheduled c/s 2/23/15, It's a Girl!!  

• DD seems to have discovered her crotch in the past few days as well. She kind of reaches down there when I'm changing her diaper. I think it is just because she is becoming more aware, and when I'm wiping her during diaper changes she's like, "Hey! What are you doing down there!" ;) She doesn't have any signs of a rash or anything.
    DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
  • Please don't think I'm being creepy, but I need to mention that I first "discovered myself" down there very, very young, according to my mom -- purely by accident, mind you, but female parts do work right off the bat (e.g., the clitoris). Could be she's discovered that, too? Just a thought.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Personally, unless she has a rash (especially a rash that is red and bumpy), is extremely fussy, or has other symptoms, I wouldn't be too terribly concerned.  DD1 has gotten yeast infections in the past and it has always been accompanied by a red bumpy rash.  It can happen without it, but that was what the pedi told me to watch out for.  DD1 was about 7ish months when she started putting her hand down there during diaper changes and it only got worse from there.  Maybe your DD is just ahead?  
  • Zoe is totally a crotch grabber and has been for quite awhile. She's never had a diaper rash and she's never seemed upset, just likes to grab. I would guess it's not concerning if it doesn't seem like she's uncomfortable in any other way. I kind of look at it in the same way as her being obsessed with her feet. It's just something new and she can reach it! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This post has been edited by a moderator
    to remove the redirecting hyperlink spam

PLEASE STOP SPAMMING THE BOARDS
  • My DD does the same thing. I think they just discovered something new. Little boys at this age usually discover themself so I would think little girls would too.
    Mom of 3 (Ginny 4 yrs old), (Miles 2 yrs old), and (Mason due June 15th) 
  • Not to alarm you, but DD did the same thing when she had a UTI a few weeks ago...and started doing it again yesterday.  I would watch for any fussiness, fever, and the smell of her urine to change. 

Hope she just "discovered" her lady parts though...UTI's at this age are very alarming and I don't wish it on any parent.

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"