3rd Trimester

Epidurals.... thoughts...

I really want to get an epidural but I am so scared of the risks.  Anyone had any bad side effects of getting an epidural before?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Epidurals.... thoughts...

• Not me, it was glorious.  The shot they gave to numb the area hurt like a b!tch, but so do contractions for hours and hours. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My OB and I discussed epidurals a few weeks ago. Yes, they will run off a list of risks associated with having one (because they have to), but she said the worst complication she has seen from one in all of her years of experience is a headache, which is cured with a little bit of caffeine.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I had no complications with DS. I asked for the epidural when I was nearly 7cm and from the moment they put the numbing shot in, I no longer felt any contractions. By the time I was ready to push, it had worn off a little bit but just enough for me to feel the urge to push. I experienced no headaches, infection at site or numbness.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Carter 5.25.10   Charlotte 2.6.12   Baby#3 5.17.15
  • Ftm here so no experience, do not plan on an epi myself, hoping to go natural... But had good friend who had an epi 6 months ago, and her right thigh is still numb. Bit scary to me.
  • I didn't have any issues with my epi...even the numbing shot before they insert it didn't hurt much (especially compared to the contractions).

I was SUPER nervous about getting an epi. I'm not necessarily afraid of needles, but the thought of one in my back terrified me...but when it came down to it, it wasn't so scary to keep me from getting one.

I'll most likely get one again with DD2.

• Not me. It was a God send!  
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • It was great, and I plan to get one this time as well!
    imageimage]
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Mine was fantastic...my nurse told me before the anesthesiologist arrived that I would want to marry him!
  • The epidural was the single best decision I made while I was in labor. I SLEPT after I got it. After 32 hours in labor that was the best nap I've ever had :) I had no side effects except for a tiny bit of soreness on my back where it was administered, but it was no worse than the soreness after a flu shot and only lasted a few days. They turned it off when I was just hitting 10 cm, so I could feel to push very well, and I was up walking within 2 hours after DD was born.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image cszlachta:
    Mine was fantastic...my nurse told me before the anesthesiologist arrived that I would want to marry him!

I suggested to my H that we name DS after the anesthesiologist.

OP, I did go through a time where I would get an odd dull ache in my lower back. The only thing I could think it could be is where the epi was, but I am not certain.  I have other lower back issues, but this feeling was just different. I plan on getting an epi again if that means anything. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Both of my sisters have migraines since having the epidural as well as back pain from that day forward.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • image TeacherVicky:
    My OB and I discussed epidurals a few weeks ago. Yes, they will run off a list of risks associated with having one (because they have to), but she said the worst complication she has seen from one in all of her years of experience is a headache, which is cured with a little bit of caffeine.

This is false. I had a spinal leak headache a few years back from a lumbar puncture (same concept) and spent a week in the hospital with the most unbelievably painful headache I ever thought was possible. They pumped IV caffeine into my veins in very high doses and made me lay horizontally and absolutely still for days because standing up makes the spinal leak and headache worse. It was torture and didn't cure the headache. I eventually had to get a spinal patch put in which was also painful. 

It was the worst experience of my life and I'm refusing to get an epidural because of it. Maybe some people have a milder form, but if you do get the spinal leak headache it is something to not take lightly and it's not something that is "cured by a little bit of caffeine."

Celebrating 2 beautiful girlies under 2!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mine was amazing and I plan on getting one again.  I only felt contractions for about 30 minutes after they broke my water while waiting on the anesthesiologist.  It was not painful being put in and I had no after effects.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • *Lurking* 

No way will I get one. I will do just about anything it takes to go natural. Of course the pain is a little nerve-wracking, but I really feel like our bodies are made to do this, and its sort of sad that all of the TV dramatization and horror stories make women feel like the can't do it or wonder if natural birth is "possible". OF COURSE its possible. We would not exist if it wasn't. And on top of it all there certainly are side effects, headaches, numbness, infection, etc. I also personally want to be able to feel my own contractions so that I know what my body is doing and what I need to do to help it along. This is just what I believe, and I'm sure some disagree, but I really would suggest doing your research and believing in yourself and your body to do what it has to w/out intervention.  

• I had an epidural with DD and had no adverse side effects.  Didn't hurt at all going in and I felt pretty good afterwards.  I had terrible back labor due to DD's posterior positioning, so after a while the epidural didn't seem to do too much for that.  I'm having a repeat CS this time around, but I'd definitely get another epidural this time around if I were delivering vaginally.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• I'm not getting an epi and I have no real life experience with one so take my advice or leave it but the reasoning I'm choosing to avoid an epi is because of the risk to my baby not to maternal risk. I'd research both and then weigh your decision. :) hth.

• Getting an epidural was the best thing ever! If they could sell that stuff OTC, I would buy it! Ha! To me, the benefit far outweighed the risk at the time.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (uREA)

• I had a great epidural experience. No side effects. I was walking around about an hour after LO was born. Mine actually helped me progress quickly since I was clenching up on every contraction and not progressing prior to getting it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image Guillerma:

image TeacherVicky:
    My OB and I discussed epidurals a few weeks ago. Yes, they will run off a list of risks associated with having one (because they have to), but she said the worst complication she has seen from one in all of her years of experience is a headache, which is cured with a little bit of caffeine.

This is false. I had a spinal leak headache a few years back from a lumbar puncture (same concept) and spent a week in the hospital with the most unbelievably painful headache I ever thought was possible. They pumped IV caffeine into my veins in very high doses and made me lay horizontally and absolutely still for days because standing up makes the spinal leak and headache worse. It was torture and didn't cure the headache. I eventually had to get a spinal patch put in which was also painful. 

It was the worst experience of my life and I'm refusing to get an epidural because of it. Maybe some people have a milder form, but if you do get the spinal leak headache it is something to not take lightly and it's not something that is "cured by a little bit of caffeine."

How is her OB's personal experience false? She said the worst complication her OB had seen was a headache and it was fixed with caffeine, not that the only complication ever in the history of epis was a headache and they were all fixed with caffeine.

• My friend had one with her child, and years later, she still has the sore spot on her back where it was...but she said she would still do it again and again because she cannot take pain of labour.

I will not get one because I have a very high tolerance of pain and because I'm stubborn and want to do it all by myself.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • My bad side effect is it not working...;)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • image Guillerma:

It was the worst experience of my life and I'm refusing to get an epidural because of it. 

Just FYI, someone in my childbirth class asked the anesthesiologist, If you had an epidural/spinal tap and got a headache, does it mean you will always get a headache if you have this type of procedure?" and he said no.

He also said that treatment of the headache depends on how severe the pain is. Some moms refuse pain meds, drink some caffeine, or take OTC pain relievers, others need stronger Rx meds.  

Food Blog

DS1: BFP: 4/4/2011 | EDD: 12/2/2011 | Born 11/21/2011
    DS2: BFP: 2/23/13 | EDD: 10/26/13 | We said goodbye: 6/2/13 (19w1d) due to pPROM

• image cdmiesuk:

*Lurking* 

No way will I get one. I will do just about anything it takes to go natural. Of course the pain is a little nerve-wracking, but I really feel like our bodies are made to do this, and its sort of sad that all of the TV dramatization and horror stories make women feel like the can't do it or wonder if natural birth is "possible". OF COURSE its possible. We would not exist if it wasn't. And on top of it all there certainly are side effects, headaches, numbness, infection, etc. I also personally want to be able to feel my own contractions so that I know what my body is doing and what I need to do to help it along. This is just what I believe, and I'm sure some disagree, but I really would suggest doing your research and believing in yourself and your body to do what it has to w/out intervention.  

I really hate this type of preachy sh!t.  I believe in myself and my body being able to do what it has to do and guess what, I'm still going to get an epi, I believe in not being in pain if I don't have to.  Getting an epidural does not interfere with having a vaginal birth and the body doing what it needs to do to give birth to the baby.  Could I do it, sure, do I want to, nope!  Apparently, in all your research, you never researched the difference between an epidural and a c-section. 

And, if the Drs think it would be better for me to have a cs, I'll do that too.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• image cdmiesuk:

*Lurking* 

This just pissses me off. She didn't ask for your opinion on whether or not she should get one, she only asked how others experiences are. Why do you underestimate her intelligence and just assume she hasn't comprehended all forms of labor?

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• image cdmiesuk:

*Lurking* 

I had a lot of these same feelings before I gave birth. Then active labor started.

Team Epidural, all the way. It was heavenly. And I had NO side effects except for a very slight tingling in my right leg for a couple of hours after I gave birth.

FTR, there is also very little risk to the baby. Much of the anesthesia in an epidural does not even reach the baby; its different than getting intravenous drugs.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image Liz4444:
    image cdmiesuk:

*Lurking* 

I really hate this type of preachy sh!t.  I believe in myself and my body being able to do what it has to do and guess what, I'm still going to get an epi, I believe in not being in pain if I don't have to.  Getting an epidural does not interfere with having a vaginal birth and the body doing what it needs to do to give birth to the baby.  Could I do it, sure, do I want to, nope!  Apparently, in all your research, you never researched the difference between an epidural and a c-section. 

And, if the Drs think it would be better for me to have a cs, I'll do that too.

not to start a war, but there is research that disproves your bolded statement and that says any intervention can slow down the birthing process and therefore potentially lead to more unnecessary interventions.

also, everyone is talking about effects on themselves, but what about the effects of epidurals on the babies?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    imageimage
  • image cdmiesuk:

*Lurking* 

This.  I didn't have an epidural with DD, and yes it hurt, but being able to experience everything and letting my body take over was amazing, and I felt SUCH a sense of accomplishment afterwards. Plus my healing time was very very quick! 

I think it is everyone's personal choice to get an epidural and there is absolutely NO judgement. I just want to say there are options besides an epidural if you're thinking you might want to try going natural. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image cdmiesuk:

*Lurking* 

When you've been awake for about 50 hours and in labor for 32 of them, and have a posterior baby causing back labor so bad your vision blurs and you're nearly passing out, and are still only at 4. freaking. cm., then you come back and tell me the pain is "a little nerve-wracking." TV dramas and other peoples horror stories had nothing to do with my decision to get an epi - the fact that my body obviously needed some help to relax so it could do what it had to do caused me to get an epi. If you don't want one, fine, but don't go around preaching to others about what a horrible choice it is. Especially if you have yet to even experience labor. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards