Babies: 3 - 6 Months

calculating age...

Just wondering what you say when people ask how old is your LO.  In the beginning we were doing weeks, but the weeks do not translate into months exactly.  My husband now does it by months based on the day she was born.  She was born April 13, so he calculates from the 13th of one month to the 13th to the next.  How do you guys calculate?  I am trying to figure out how old she is...4.5 months?  According to the weeks, she is 5 months!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: calculating age...

• I thought we all learned while pregnant that 4 weeks is not equal to one month? 

She is 4.5ish months old. She will be 5 months on 9/13. 

Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • I have been calculating mine by weeks, and yes, he seems older because of that. I guess it depends if you want to be technical. My son will be 7 months next Wednesday because he'll be 28 weeks, but he was born February 23rd which won't make him 7 months for another 3 weeks. I don't know. I just prefer to do it by weeks since the days of the month differ. Geeked

• Loading the player...
  • Well your DD 4.5 months according to the months. 

My DH and I were just discussing this. We asked the pedi this weekend how they calculate it and she said now, by months. So DS won't be 6 months until 10/12, but he'll be 24 weeks on 9/27 (which is 6 months in terms of 4 week intervals).  When people ask, sometimes I say 20 weeks, sometimes I say 4 months.  I think 20 weeks sounds older and DS looks older, so I usually go with that.

Anything where it is recommended to wait 6 months (taking Motrin, solids, etc.) we'll wait until 10/12.

• But MissYouDietCoke does have a point. Smile
  • I was confused during my pregnancy, too!  Before being pregnant, I had never heard of pregnancy or a baby's age calculated by weeks.  When people ask, they expect to hear months...the calculation always confused me b/c I would tell people the weeks and the would calculate it into months.  I guess I will just go with the month calculations now!

• lol I just round to whatever is closest. So if she's around 3 months, I say that, for example. I have no idea why where people got the idea that a month is EXACTLY 4 weeks. If you ever look at a calendar you will see that it is not.

Weeks = Monday to Monday

Months = 1st of Month A to 1st of Month B

• We were having concerns with this too.  When people would ask I would sometimes reply "well, do you want to know by weeks or what she is technicly" and other parents would just laugh and say I remember that.  Recently my husband does it by the day she was born as well (easier for him to remember).  The way we figured it, if we did it by weeks she would be 13 months old when she actually turned a year LOL.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I will NEVER understand why this is such a difficult concept.  Would you calculate your yearly birthday by weeks?  No?  Didn't think so.  So then why would you calculate months by weeks?  A week is a week, a month is a month.  4 weeks =/= 1 month.
  • imageBrandNewMommy2Be:

I have been calculating mine by weeks, and yes, he seems older because of that. I guess it depends if you want to be technical. My son will be 7 months next Wednesday because he'll be 28 weeks, but he was born February 23rd which won't make him 7 months for another 3 weeks. I don't know. I just prefer to do it by weeks since the days of the month differ. Geeked

No, he really won't.  28 weeks =/= 7 months.  It equalst 28 weeks.

• imageMissYouDietCoke:

I thought we all learned while pregnant that 4 weeks is not equal to one month? 

this exactly.  4 wks does not equal 1 month. 

• imagenic5606:
    imageMissYouDietCoke:

well, unless it's February in a non-leap year. :) But, ditto nic and the poster w/ the troy polamalu photo in her sig. :)
    Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • imagegymnst1013:
    I will NEVER understand why this is such a difficult concept.  Would you calculate your yearly birthday by weeks?  No?  Didn't think so.  So then why would you calculate months by weeks?  A week is a week, a month is a month.  4 weeks =/= 1 month.

Somethings in life are just hard to understand! 

• imagerunrun26.2:
    imagenic5606:
    imageMissYouDietCoke:

Exactly. How hard is it? DS was born on the 18th, so he's a month older every time the calendar reads the 18th...

Plus, beyond the first few weeks of life, does it really matter if your baby is x months +/- a week or 2? Do strangers care that much?

This EXACTLY! Not sure why people have to over think it... Someone asked me yesterday how old my DS was... I didn't go into detail, what do they care? I told them almost 6 months... and as you can see by my ticker he is 5months 2 weeks 6days...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagegymnst1013:
    I will NEVER understand why this is such a difficult concept.  Would you calculate your yearly birthday by weeks?  No?  Didn't think so.  So then why would you calculate months by weeks?  A week is a week, a month is a month.  4 weeks =/= 1 month.

Seriously.  This question makes me **headdesk**

• imagejpinnacoli:
    imagerunrun26.2:
    imagenic5606:
    imageMissYouDietCoke:

Exactly. How hard is it? DS was born on the 18th, so he's a month older every time the calendar reads the 18th...

Plus, beyond the first few weeks of life, does it really matter if your baby is x months +/- a week or 2? Do strangers care that much?

This EXACTLY! Not sure why people have to over think it... Someone asked me yesterday how old my DS was... I didn't go into detail, what do they care? I told them almost 6 months... and as you can see by my ticker he is 5months 2 weeks 6days...

Ha!  Now you have me REALLY confused.  If we're going by months, does that mean your ticker is incorrect?  Oh well.  You're right, it's not a huge deal, but it has come up multiple times in conversation.

• imageEDWHIP:
    imagejpinnacoli:
    imagerunrun26.2:
    imagenic5606:
    imageMissYouDietCoke:

Ha!  Now you have me REALLY confused.  If we're going by months, does that mean your ticker is incorrect?  Oh well.  You're right, it's not a huge deal, but it has come up multiple times in conversation.

Hmm

He is 5 months (ie: 1st of month A to 1st of month B), 2 weeks (add 2 actual Mon-Sun weeks) onto that and 6 days (add 6 actual 12:00a-11:59p days) onto that.

• DD just turned 5 months last week, so when people ask me, I say she is 5 months old.  Once we hit the middle of September, I'll say she is 5 months old.  If I were you, I would say your LO is 4.5 months old.
  • imageSouthFloridaMommy:
    DD just turned 5 months last week, so when people ask me, I say she is 5 months old.  Once we hit the middle of September, I'll say she is 5 months old.  If I were you, I would say your LO is 4.5 months old.

Thank you! 

• This should be nominated for *dumbest post of the week" award.

Let me guess-when you were 20 weeks pregnant, you were telling people you were 5 months pregnant, weren't you?

You really don't need to say 4.5 months. When she hits September 13th, she'll be 5 months. It will be ok if you tell people on September 10th she's 5 months too.  For now, she's 4 months old.

How is this hard for people? Is there some significant difference between 4-4.5 months that you have to specify? This is so weird to me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKC_13:

This should be nominated for *dumbest post of the week" award.

Let me guess-when you were 20 weeks pregnant, you were telling people you were 5 months pregnant, weren't you?

You really don't need to say 4.5 months. When she hits September 13th, she'll be 5 months. It will be ok if you tell people on September 10th she's 5 months too.  For now, she's 4 months old.

How is this hard for people? Is there some significant difference between 4-4.5 months that you have to specify? This is so weird to me.

Wow...I'm honored to receive such an award.  Especially from a gold poster!

• I should also be nominated for "slowest ticker changer"  Apparently I am not up on my calculations ;)

Thank you, everyone, for clarification.  I will now calculate my daughter's birthday like the rest of us do.  I will stop with this "week" nonsense!

• imagegymnst1013:

This! The only people who should have any confusion are ones born at the very end of the month, since Feb doesn't always have the 29th and never the 30th and 31st and some months only have 30 days. Someone born April 13th was one month on May 13th and will be five months on September 13th. Calculating by weeks after the first 12 weeks just makes people look at you funny.

• Good grief.

I say "three and a half months". Or just "three months" if I'm feeling lazy.

• imagegymnst1013:

Words out of my mouth. 

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• imageBrandNewMommy2Be:

I have been calculating mine by weeks, and yes, he seems older because of that. I guess it depends if you want to be technical. My son will be 7 months next Wednesday because he'll be 28 weeks, but he was born February 23rd which won't make him 7 months for another 3 weeks. I don't know. I just prefer to do it by weeks since the days of the month differ. Geeked

If you continue to count this way, you'll be celebrating his 1st birthday 4 weeks early!

I do not understand why people think this is so hard?!? You can count by weeks if you want, but then count by weeks. Don't try to change 4 weeks into a month. It isn't!

• When people ask this, I wonder have they ever divided 52 by 4? You get 13 and I think we all know a year doesn't have 13 months. As for us, I stopped using weeks at 12 and moved to months. I currently say he us 4.5 months, though I will soon be moving to 5. Strangers don't actually care that much.
  • Why is this so difficult? They are one month old when they are one month old.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• My LO was born on 3/17 so we celebrate her month birthday on the 17th of each month. Once I couldn't remember the week any more I stopped calculating that way. I am surprised at how critical everyone is. There are tons of questions that are repeated on a daily basis. If this annoys a person they should avoid responding.
  • My LO was born 3/17, so we celebrate our LO's month birthday on the 17th of every month. After I couldn't remember the number of weeks anymore we stopped calculating that way. I don't understand people on here being so critical. There are so many question that are repeated. If this bothers a person they shouldn't respond. 
  • imageEDWHIP:

imagegymnst1013:

Somethings in life are just hard to understand! 

Oh but this is not one of them!!  People that ask how old your baby is do NOT care the specific number of weeks past about 12, a simple "he's 3 months old" is plenty good.  I giggled when one of my friends posted her DD's "one month old" picture on FB recently on the 21st of the month, when I knew her daughter was born on the 24th...I was thinking she must have a case of the mommy brains, but then she mentioned in conversation that she was 4 weeks old.  Uh, nope 4 weeks =/= 1 month, and I can guarantee now that our babies are almost 5 months old that she's counting on the 24th of each month now.  I mean, don't you celebrate YOUR birthday on a particular date, not how many weeks old you are?? 

Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • imagejcsumm0:

imagegymnst1013:

Seriously.  This question makes me **headdesk**

THIS! This question is asked about every month and it makes me want to scream at my computer everytime! I just don't understand why this confuses so many people, trust me OP you are not alone in your confusion. 

• imageBrandNewMommy2Be:

So, are you going to celebrate his 1st birthday based on weeks? If you go by the logic that 4 weeks = 1 month, his birthday won't be right.Wink

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hate to disagree with everyone here, but I actually asked my pediatrician about this because I was wondering as well. She said that she goes by weeks (i.e. 8 weeks is 2 months)...I guess because there are not the same number of days in every month? I admit that I am still a little confused about this.
  • imagemullenem:
    imagekathrnn:

lol I just round to whatever is closest. So if she's around 3 months, I say that, for example. I have no idea why where people got the idea that a month is EXACTLY 4 weeks. If you ever look at a calendar you will see that it is not.

Weeks = Monday to Monday

Months = 1st of Month A to 1st of Month B

This.  People who ask how old your baby is probably don't need to know specifics.  I usually just round to the closest "even" time.  Like right now A is 2 weeks away from 4 months old (the 14th of sept.) so I say 3.5 months (and have been for over a week now...).  I give people the side eye when they keep counting in weeks forever.  I shouldn't have to do any math to figure out how old your child is. 

I agree with the others. 4 weeks does NOT equal 1 month.

This reminds me of the movie Grown Ups where the kid is still breastfeeding at 4 years old. "'Aw, how old is your son?' 'He's 48 months.' 'Wait, isn't that 4?'"

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"