Breastfeeding

Still nursing every hour...

DS started nursing every hour during the day at about 2.5 weeks. I thought it was his 3 week growth spurt, but he is still doing it at almost 4 weeks. He goes about 2-3 hours between nursing at night.

If that is how much he needs to nurse, I am fine with it, but I want to make sure that I am not over feeding him. I am getting flack from my family about feeding him too much (as he also seems to be displaying signs of gas discomfort). Not that they are experts, but they are making me question my parenting.

I try just playing with him, and giving him my finger or a nuk to suck on before feeding him, but he screams until I give him the boob.

He is still young yet, do you think that he is just THAT hungry all the time? Does anyone else feed their LO so frequently? I am pretty sure he is getting alot at each feeding because I can hear him gulping down the milk.

DS- Born August 2011 

TTC Baby #2!! 

< image
My Ovulation Chart
|| Ovulation Tracker

Re: Still nursing every hour...

• Could it be a foremilk/hindmilk inbalance?  Maybe he isn't getting enough of the fatty milk that would keep him full longer.  Maybe check kelly mom for suggestions?
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image BeetleLinz1125:
    Could it be a foremilk/hindmilk inbalance?  Maybe he isn't getting enough of the fatty milk that would keep him full longer.  Maybe check kelly mom for suggestions?

I've looked at kellymom, but I will look again. I was wondering if he was getting too much foremilk. That could explain his gas too. However, he nurses for a good 15-20 on each side (sometimes less on the second side), and my breast usuually gets pretty soft. I would think that he is getting the good stuff.

DS- Born August 2011 

TTC Baby #2!! 

< image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker

• I am a firm believer in the statement you can never overfeed a breastfed baby.  They will stop when they want to stop.  If he is nursing that frequentley, and your breast is getting soft then he is trying to increase your supply.  If I were you, I would pump after he eats for about 5 minutes so your body makes more milk for him.
  • I agree, you can't overfeed him. Our bodies are made for this stuff, just relax and enjoy, there will be a day he is too busy to even think about nursing and you will miss it. Don't listen to the outside noise ;)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

imageimageimageimage
  • Some babies nurse a lot.  When my son was little there was a period of time (a couple of weeks) that he nursed 15-17 times per day.  Gradually he reduced the number of feedings to a more manageable number.
  • My LO nurses a LOT too. Usually at least 10-12 times a day. I get flack for it to, but screen 'em! I don't think you can oversees a BF baby. If he has lots of wet/dirty diapers a day then it shouldn't be too much of a concern. I like the idea of pumping for 5 minutes after each feed to increase supply, so I might try that too!
    [center]Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    [/center]

[center]My BFP Chart[/center]

• Does he pop off himself? I agree with pp that said he might not be getting enough hind milk. Try to nurse on one side for longer.
  • I agree with what everyone is saying.  Kellymom for milk imbalance is great; could explain the gas too.  My daughter nursed 17-18 times a day until she was 4 months.  I felt like a zombie and was always envious of my friends whose babies nursed every 4 hours from the beginning and let them sleep at night.  Helena was up, round the clock, on the boob every 1.5 to 2 hours.  Sorry to tell you that!  Everyone gave me flack too for not producing enough but you can never feed them enough.  Some babies just want to eat more.  It will get better and he will settle in to his pattern.  I think my baby was so bored she just wanted to eat since her little body couldn't do anything yet.  Once she was old enough to play with toys under her gym or sit up, the world was suddenly more interesting than eating and we now go 2-3 hours between meals.  I PROMISE it will get better and just keep nursing.  You are doing exactly what your body is meant to do and your baby knows exactly what he's doing too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards