October 2011 Moms

Pediatrician

How was interviewing the pediatrician for you? I plan on calling to set up an interview with one for next week, but thinking about it, I feel a little nervous. I'm planning on asking the questions from here on TB, but I don't want to seem like I am just going down a list. I don't want it to feel awkward. Was it awkward for you when you went? Did you have a list of questions, or just know what you were going to ask before hand? I know I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing, I'm just a really shy person.

Re: Pediatrician

• It wasn't awkward for us.  The dr. told us how their practice does things and we were encouraged to answer questions.  The vaccination issue is the biggest "hot button" topic I can think of that would come up?
  • I asked similar question earlier in "picking a pediatrician" post.  See below for more advice and GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The pediatrician that we picked had a "Meet the Doctor" on a Saturday morning.  There were about 4 other couples there, and first he told us all about him, then asked if anyone had any questions.  My husband and I had a list of questions, and most of them he answered just from introducing himself and explaining the practice.  The rest we just asked, or one of the other couples would ask.  He walked us all around the office, showing us different areas as well.  At the end he stayed around and allowed anyone to talk to him one-on-one.  It wasn't awkward at all, and we really enjoyed the whole process.  
  • First of all- thank you for your post! I had an appt today for my ped interview and nearly forgot until I saw this! :)

Secondly- I used a list of questions from TB as well as just some common concerns.  I wrote them down so as not to forget, but it was really more like a conversation.  The doctor's do this so often that they know what you're going to ask and give you a lot of the details whether you break out your list or not.

Things to consider: How long does it take to get a sick appt? A well appt? How many drs/nps are in the practice? What is his/her philosophy on vaccinations? breast v. formula feeding (you need a dr. on the same page as you and SO with these two things so that you feel like you're being supported)?  What hosptial are they affiliated with?