Toddlers: 24 Months+

Does anyone work a swing shift or a DH that works swing shift?

DH is interviewing for a new job. It's swing shift. What is a typical working day like? What are some of the pros and cons for your family?
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image

Re: Does anyone work a swing shift or a DH that works swing shift?

• I used to alternate between 8am-4pm and 2-10 pm shifts ...I guess the 2-10 could be considered a swing shift. I liked the 2 to 10 bc I could set up appts in the mornings and not have to worry about using my off days for those. Also I could take some time to play with ds before dropping him off at daycare or have my husband drop him off at daycare and sleep in a little bit. If it was 4 to midnight or something I don't know if I'd like it as much bc my bedtime was close to 1030pm. You adjust pretty quickly and it is bearable if you get at least 6 hours of sleep consistently. I work nights now (10 pm to 8 am) and that's been a harder adjustment but so far worth the benefit of being less stressed and having every other week off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH works second shift--he's management so he leaves the house around 3-3:30 for meetings before the line starts. With no OT, the line stops at 2, but lately it's been more like 3 or 3:30 I think. He has his after shift stuff to do, and gets home around 5 (he lives 5 minutes from the house). Some days he can leave a little later and get home a little earlier. It just depends on how much production overtime they have.

Cons--I do everything. I get the kids up, drop the oldest off at school, run the errands (like grocery shopping), fix lunch (our meal we eat together), and then wake him up. He's up for around 3 hours with the family before leaving for work. I then have to do baths and bedtime by myself. That can be very draining. We're fortunate that my son is in half-day K this year, so he can see them. If things don't change and he's not moved to first shift by next year (something he deserves, but it's not that easy), he will literally not see DS all week.

Pros--I get a nap if I want one. And it's a job.  

• Loading the player...
  • DH works a lot of afternoon shifts if that counts.  For us it helps with DC drop off and he gets to spend time with DS in the morning meaning DS isn't at DC for a full day.  I enjoy evenings alone on the couch watching trash tv :)  He is a night person so likes getting to relax in the am and work later in the day.  Depends on what you like but for us it works. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • DH works 2nd.  Pros:  tons of morning time with the kids when they are in their best mood.  I can work when he is home.  I can run errands in the morning when store are less busy.  I can watch my own evening TV:)

cons:  as pp said i do it all, but we have a routine and it works.  If DH is home bedtime takes longer.  At the end of the day I am exhausted, but we tend to do cartoons after dinner so I can get some down time before bedtime routines.  Finding time for intimacy is more of a challenge. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I work the swing shift.  I'm a nurse so I work 12 hours shifts from 11am-11:30pm 3 days a week.  It works great for us because I get up with the kids and get them off to daycare, DH picks them up and does dinner and bedtime.  They are only at daycare from 10am-5:30pm, so not a super long day for them.  Plus they get to sleep in everday so they are usually in good moods.  I do have to do breakfast and get them ready all by myself in the morning which can be rough if I'm running late for work, but we get it done and it works for us. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"