Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Low Temperature 96.2 - Help!

LO has had a temp of 96.6 in the past for a little over a day. The doctor was not concerned because there wasn't anything else wrong with her.  Last night her temp was 96.2 and she was very cranky all night long.  She is still eating and going to the bathroom regularly.  Her temp went up today back to normal and is now 99.1. 

Has anyone had any experience with this?  The doctors and nurses that I spoke to last time were not worried, and told me just to wrap her in a blanket to get her temp back up.  I am a little worried though because it keeps happening.  What could be causing this?  I am going to call the pedi tomorrow, but I just wanted to see if anyone has gone through this as well.

Thanks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Low Temperature 96.2 - Help!

• put more clothes on her to keep her warm.  not much else you can do.  It may just be that her temp runs lower than normal. 
  • Loading the player...
  • It's probably not an accurate core temp. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • What kind of thermometer are you using and where are you taking her temp? (Underarm, mouth, forehead, ear...etc)

It could just be reading wrong. When I take DS's temp, he's over a degree lower in his underarm as he is on his forehead. 

• Why did you take her temp? Was she acting off? I'd say it was a user error or if you aren't taking it rectally it probaby wasn't an accurate temp. If her lips aren't blue, she's fine.
  • I always take it rectally.  The two times that it has been low she has woken up in the middle of the night crying and cannot be soothed easily.  When it is low, her head and hands are very chilly.  I don't think it is an error because the first time it happened I checked with a second thermom.
  • Well then I'd say just to put another layer on her. If you doctor isn't worried I wouldn't be either.
  • Have you ever taken her temp when she's not cranky?  That could just be the norm for her, as many times people's temps are low at night.  I wouldn't be worried, especially if you don't have a constant "average" temp you're comparing it to... 
  • imagecaramia582:
    Have you ever taken her temp when she's not cranky?  That could just be the norm for her, as many times people's temps are low at night.  I wouldn't be worried, especially if you don't have a constant "average" temp you're comparing it to... 

ok just noticed you did retake the temp, so I guess I have nothing useful for you... sorry!

• I would say not to worry but I am a worry wart about my little man.  Body temps naturally drop while sleeping so they are lower in middle of night & in the morning.  They say normal temp is 97-100.4 for an infant, although some of us are just normally lower.  If it goes below 95 I would call dr on call & probably go to the ER.  Have you asked your dr what is to low?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My temp is a constant 96.7 or 97.2

All that has really ever meant for me is that my running a fever is anything above 99. But I'm just fine :) I agree with pp though if it goes any lower bring her in for a second opinion if youre still concerned 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageJBtheDog20:

My temp is a constant 96.7 or 97.2

All that has really ever meant for me is that my running a fever is anything above 99. But I'm just fine :) I agree with pp though if it goes any lower bring her in for a second opinion if youre still concerned 

We are in this same boat with my hubby. His core temp is normally low...infact one time when he had his temp taken when he was giving blood they told him he should be dead with a temp that low. And then he had to explain about him lowwer than normal temp. (It was still way low) They told him he had 5 mins to run around do jumping jacks etc to get his temp up or they were calling an ambulance! Needless to say they didn't have to call one.

• was it going into stool?  i would say unless she is shivering and or her lips are blue, just put an extra layer on her!    if she becomes more symptomatic like shivers, lethargy, blue fingersl/toes, i would def call dr. 
    Sawyer Quinn (09/06/06), Rory Keaton (04/07/08) and Kinsley Saffron (10/12/10). Forever and ever my babies they'll be. A rose can say "I love you",orchids can enthrall,but a weed bouquet in a chubby fist,yes, that says it all.~Author Unknown
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagembfirefly98:
    imageJBtheDog20:

My temp is a constant 96.7 or 97.2

We are in this same boat with my hubby. His core temp is normally low...infact one time when he had his temp taken when he was giving blood they told him he should be dead with a temp that low. And then he had to explain about him lowwer than normal temp. (It was still way low) They told him he had 5 mins to run around do jumping jacks etc to get his temp up or they were calling an ambulance! Needless to say they didn't have to call one.

This for me too.  When we were TTC and I took my BBT, it was always like 96.something.  If my temp is 99, it's a FEVER.  GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"