August 2011 Moms

Update on my mom (NBR)

Thanks so much to all of you who have offered your kind words & T&P's for my family in light of my mom's breast cancer diagnosis. She met with several doctors & we finally have (somewhat) a plan.

My mom will be having some further scans done on her brain as a precaution next Wednesday (17th). The spot they found on her spine has been determined to be non-cancerous and is thankfully no longer a concern. At this point, the cancer is a large mass in her left breast & also in the lymph node nearest her left breast. At this point, it is stage III, and they plan for her to do about 6 months of chemotherapy prior to attempting surgery. They are hopeful that if the cancer responds well to chemo, she may not need surgery, or may need a lumpectomy rather than a mastectomy. The surgeon told her that at this point, if they do surgery, there is a large possibility of disfiguration based on the size & location of the mass.

She will have a port placed on the 25th and within two days of the placement, they will begin chemotherapy. She has opted to receive some other experimental chemotherapy as well (FDA Approved), if she qualifies & gets through the "lottery" process to be eligible. They will do another biopsy & some more blood tests if she initially qualifies. 

Thank you all so much for your support! You are such a fabulous group of ladies.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Re: Update on my mom (NBR)