VBAC

EPO for VBAC . . . Any Experience?

Hi!  I don't ususally post on The Bump, but so lurk on this board sometimes for encouragement and was hoping that you ladies could help . . . I have a 2 year old daughter born via section in July 2009 due to being breech.  I am almost 37 weeks pregnant with my second and would really like to VBAC.  At my appt this morning I was about 1cm and softening.

My question is . . . for anyone who had a successful VBAC, did you use Evening Primrose Oil and if so, what was the dosing?  I've seen some contradictory  things online about it being safe/not safe for VBAC, but my Dr seems ok with it.  She was hesitant for me to start any sooner than this week, because of my history last time (my daughter flipped constantly from weeks 32-38 and finally settled breech), so she wanted to ensure that this baby stayed heads-down before starting anything. 

Any thoughts or success stories would be appreciated!!  I'm really hoping to have this baby on my own!

Re: EPO for VBAC . . . Any Experience?

• I don't have a success story (yet! :)) but both my OB and doula recommended EPO.  I started taking one gel capsule orally at 35 weeks, and have increased the dosage slowly and steadily since then.  I started doing capsules vaginally at 37 weeks.  At this point, I'm taking three orally and two vaginally daily - and while I'm still only 1 cm dilated, my cervix is very soft... so maybe it's doing something?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • I did two vaginally at night starting at about 37 weeks. My doctors/midwives all encouraged me to do this. I'm not sure whether or not it had an effect, but I did go on to have a successful VBAC!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • ditto the previous poster. I insered 1 or 2 (can't remember) gel caps vaginally starting at 37 weeks. I was dilated about 2cm and 80%effaced at my 38 week appt and I def beleive the EPO helped.

I went into labor at 38w2d and had a wonderful all natural VBAC.

ps. per the reccomendation of my midwife I poked a hole in the gel cap before I instered it

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Thanks for all of your advice!!  Do any of you ladies happen to remember what dosage of gelcaps you used?  I have seen 500 and 1300mg at the store. 

• I've heard that it IS contraindicated for VBAC women.  But I've also heard it's safe.  I have 1000mg ones and have been taking 1-2 a day, tho it says 3.  This is one of those things where  think I might play it a little more on the cautious side.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"