August 2011 Moms
Options

Tell me your experiences with Castor Oil

I know what your thinking....another crazy girl desperate to induce labor before her due date!!!  While I wouldn't be upset if I did have this LO in the next few days(She is currently measuring well over 8lbs and her BPP score was 10) it is actually for the real reason castor oil is used!

I haven't had a BM in 5 days and am getting really uncomfortable! I've tried my usual "go-to's" caffeine, juice, spicy foods, green veggies and more water, but nothing is really working.  I'm getting more and more uncomfortable and then i'm also stressing out about it being so close to my due date and being "bound up" when i go into labor(the embarrassment factor). 

So i was reading about castor oil and the side effects are diarrhea and vomiting.......I am hoping for the diarrhea part so I can start feeling better and "clean myself out" but I'm so afraid that I will get the vomiting, but still won't have a BM!!!

Any thoughts? Experiences? Thanks for listening....I know this is a little TMI!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tell me your experiences with Castor Oil

• Options
    Is there a reason that you won't try a regular stool softener or even a laxative? I don't think I'd jump straight to castor oil, it can make you pretty sick.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Options

imagejessicaclare:
    Is there a reason that you won't try a regular stool softener or even a laxative? I don't think I'd jump straight to castor oil, it can make you pretty sick.

This! My doctor said it can stress the baby out and cause them to have a BM too.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would try Colace. It may take a little bit of time but it is pain free and has worked for me MANY times throughout this pregnancy.
  • Options
    i agree with PP about the stool softeners.  Lots of fiber cereal helped me! Shredded Wheat works like a charm for me :) 
  • Options

imageCrash Into Me:
    Why would you put yourself through that?  Take Colace instead.  Perfectly safe for you and baby.

This :) Colace and LOTS AND LOTS of water! 

• Options

imagejessicaclare:

Sorry I didn't put this in my original post, but I did try a generic stool softener from Rite Aid yesterday without any relief. 

• Options
    imagenhinze01:

imagejessicaclare:

Sorry I didn't put this in my original post, but I did try a generic stool softener from Rite Aid yesterday without any relief. 

I would either continue to take it (possibly up the dose) or take an OTC laxative. I know there are some that are fine for pregnancy. Castor Oil really isn't the way to go and, as someone else mentioned, it can cause your LO to have a bowel movement, which you really don't want. 

Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Options
    have you tried eating something high fiber like Kashi? I eat Kashi Go Lean every day... tastes a little like cardboard lol but does the trick for me. Also, for me, any type of excercise usually get things moving.
  • Options
    I took it the day before DS was born--he was born on his due date. I don't think the CO had anything to do with it though--I never had any GI issues, cramping, etc until I woke up 10 hours after taking it at 1:30 am with contractions. I took 2 TBS in mashed banana, and it didn't taste at all--just left an oily texture on my lips.
  • Options

I would keep trying the stool softener, it can take a few days to go into effect.  You can take more than one a day as well.

Castor oil is rough stuff, I would basically do anything but that.

• Options
    I don't have any experience with Castor oil but when I have had constipation problems during this pregnancy I would eat a couple of Fiber One bars and drink a ton of water.  I don't blame you for wanting to get this issue *resolved* before you go into labor!
  • Options

imagekrispy6372:
    have you tried eating something high fiber like Kashi? I eat Kashi Go Lean every day... tastes a little like cardboard lol but does the trick for me. Also, for me, any type of excercise usually get things moving.

if you're already constipated, more fiber is NOT going to help the problem.

Try coffee and/or an apple too...they always help me go. And ditto on colace taking a little time. I would not recommend castor oil at all, especially at 38 weeks.  

• Options
    Castor Oil is just nasty.  The stupid hospital gave it to me after I had my oldest son and never again would I take it.  I always go with a bag or 2 of prunes.  They're cheaper than stool softeners and they work pretty quickly.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Colace or Miralax are my go-tos. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"