2nd Trimester

How much caffeine do you drink?

Before getting pregnant I used to drink at least one bottle of Diet Coke a day. Now that I am pregnant I have cut way back, usually to little or no caffeine each day. Recently I have been sleeping really bad and the lack of sleep is causing me to just drag at work and have headaches. The past three days I have had one bottle of pepsi each day. I worry because I don't want to get into the caffeine habit again and I know the caffeine isn't good for the baby. How much caffeine do you ladies drink each day? Do you think a bottle a day is too much?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: How much caffeine do you drink?

• I have one a day.  Though I switched to Diet Coke with Splenda instead of Diet Pepsi (my fave!) with aspartame.  I don't think it's bad.  I have GD so I can barely have anything else I like!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I LOVE diet coke!!  Before TTC I proably drank a 2 liter/day.  I now have maybe one 12oz once or twice a week (usually on work days).  I know many ladies still have their one cup of coffee/day.  Moderation is key.

Edit: I also switched to DC with splenda.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    TTC#2 - Shocked to get a BFP first postpartum cycle  
    Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo

TTC # 3 June 2014
  • I drink between 1 and 3 cans of diet coke a day. Flame me if you want, but I did the same with ds and he turned out just fine. My doc is fine with it, so am I.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • These all make me feel so much better. In the first tri I was paranoid about anything that could cause a m/c so I RARELY had any. Now though with dealing with the exhaustion I need something to ty and get me through the day.
  • Less than one a day.  I quit making coffee at home, but when I get it at a restaurant, I get decaf.  I also make decaf tea at home.  I still have a diet coke once in awhile.

• image Hopefull11:
    I drink between 1 and 3 cans of diet coke a day. Flame me if you want, but I did the same with ds and he turned out just fine. My doc is fine with it, so am I.

No flaming here! Excessive caffeine is bad, that's not excessive.

I have a cup of coffee a day and maybe a diet coke too if we have some in the house. Some days I'll have two cups of coffee.

Caffeine is bad if you over do it. You can have 1 to 2 cups a day, and trust me, I would NOT poop if it wasn't for my cup of coffee. I didn't make some one day and I got massive headaches as well.

Drinking 4 shots of espresso and a bevy of other caffeinated beverages daily is bad. 

• Like you I usually drink none or very little daily, once in a while I treat myself to a cherry coke (YUM!), a whole 20 oz. bottle of that has only 65 mg of caffiene.  I have read that up to 200mg of caffiene daily is fine during pregnancy, so if you are only having 1 can per day you are getting much less than this.  Just remember that some foods such as chocolate have caffiene also. 
  • I bought the 1/2 caffeine maxwell house and have one cup a day.  Then about 2-3 times a week I'll have a diet coke, and if I'm a restaurant I have had it re-filled a few times.  

They say as long as you don't go over 200 mg caffeine in a day you're fine.  And in one can of soda there is 50 mg so that's 4 cans.  

I think it's all about everything in moderation. 
  • No flames from me. In all seriousness, a 12 oz Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi has less than 50 mg of caffeine. An 8 oz. cup of black tea has about 70. Most of the "jolt" that people like from soda actually comes from the sugar, not the caffeine.

I have cut WAY back from my pre-pregnancy caffeine intake, but I will still rub up against the 200 mg limit on a fairly regular basis. Usually I drink two cups of tea a day. Today I am going to treat myself to a grande latte from Sbux (2 shots = 150 mgs)

• One Pepsi/day isn't going to hurt you or baby.

I don't drink any but I'm sure I get some from other stuff (the occasional chocolate I have, etc.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only caffeine I've been drinking since I've been pregnant is iced tea. And I don't have it very often. Probably less than once a week. And I really, really miss Mt. Dew! My husband and I gave up pop in 2010 as a new years resolution. We got pregnant in April so I had very little time to drink it before the baby. We bought some on sale so now it's just sitting at the house. I miss it more than I miss the occasional alcoholic beverage.
  • image res932:

Before getting pregnant I used to drink at least one bottle of Diet Coke a day. Now that I am pregnant I have cut way back, usually to little or no caffeine each day. Recently I have been sleeping really bad and the lack of sleep is causing me to just drag at work and have headaches. The past three days I have had one bottle of pepsi each day. I worry because I don't want to get into the caffeine habit again and I know the caffeine isn't good for the baby. How much caffeine do you ladies drink each day? Do you think a bottle a day is too much?

I used to bring a thermos to work before I got preggo. I was a coffee feen!  And when I was on midnight shift I would drink Monster.  Now I try to only drink 1-2 cups of coffee only on the days where I am dragging.  The doc said 1-2 cups is fine just not to use artifical sweeteners.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image NoodleM:

No flaming here! Excessive caffeine is bad, that's not excessive.

I have a cup of coffee a day and maybe a diet coke too if we have some in the house. Some days I'll have two cups of coffee.

Caffeine is bad if you over do it. You can have 1 to 2 cups a day, and trust me, I would NOT poop if it wasn't for my cup of coffee. I didn't make some one day and I got massive headaches as well.

Drinking 4 shots of espresso and a bevy of other caffeinated beverages daily is bad. 

THIS... My doctor said a cup of regular coffee per day or a diet coke was FINE.  She said studies have shown that consequences to caffeine usage on newborns are not evident unless the mother is drinking 4 or more cups per day.  When I hit starbucks, I get a half-caf latte... but otherwise, I drink regular at home ~ if I miss a SINGLE day... I wind up in bed for two days with a migraine.  A little caffeine goes a long way with me... :)

• I usually have a small cup of coffee a week.
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Right now the only caffeine I am drinking is an occasional iced tea but that's about to change. I need to start drinking a cup of coffee again in the mornings because I am really dragging.  That's what I did when pg with DS-cut it out in the beginning and then had a cup of 1/2-caff coffee again when I got to around 3rd tri. It worked well.

Re: soda, that has less caffeine than coffee so one soda a day is not really a big deal. However, I would avoid the artificial sweeteners unless you have GD or something and just cannot have the sugar. That's just me though.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image kirky05:
    I drink half a cup of coffee a day (I have to have coffee in the mornings), and the occasional soda. I'm not a big "drinker", so it's never all that much caffeine anyway.

I was starting to wonder when someone was going to mention they drink coffee! Coke only has like 50 mg of caffeine in it...that is way under the limit.  

I drink about 1-2 cups of regular brewed coffee a day.  It's really half of a travel mug, so however many ounces that is.  The rest is decaf and the occasional root beer that has a tiny bit of caffeine in it.  So far, baby is growing right where she is supposed to be.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I may take a sip of DH's coke every once in a blue moon.  I don't drink coffee or soda (exept occasionally ginger ale).  If I have an occassional tea it's herbal.

I'm pretty sure you are fine with a bottle a day though.  If you are able to do without it the better -- but there is no need to suffer through it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I drink one cup of coffee a day and sometimes have a glass of sweet tea with dinner.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I think it coudl be a lot worse! lol I wouldn't flame a bottle a day.  I didn't drink pop at all)or coffee very much for the past year and as soon as I got pregnant that was all i craved haha. I have a huge thing with Iced coffee ( i make my own at home)  and it makes a fairly large cup, i just try to take my time drinking it or make it last more than one day lol.  I'm more worried about my sugar intake in things instead of Caffeine haha.  ( of course it is funny if i drink a whole cup to feel the baby go crazy)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

" an angel saw in the book of life my baby to be birthed, she whispered as she closed the book, " to beautiful for earth".

• I don't drink as much caffeine as I use to. I was drinking one or two cups of coffee. In the 1ST tri I was drinking one small cup, but it was making me sick, so I stopped. I now only drink a small cup if I had rough night sleeping. Which isn't too often.
    ~I Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Posting from an Android sorry for any errors
  • I don't drink any (I was a HUGE diet coke drink and I miss it terribly!!!) I do eat chocolate though.  I am thinking of adding a can of soda into the mix though because I truly miss carbonated drinks (not a huge fan of sprite or sierra mist either).

• I have one cup of coffee a day. I have a small cup that is 6 ozs and that is considered one cup. I can have 2 cups  but i like to save for chocolate which has caffine in it.
  • I gave up caffeine pop and coffee all together.

The only caffeine I get is from iced tea or chocolate. I try to limit both.

Me: 30 DH: 30
    TTC #1 since 3/2009
    BFP! 3/2010... 6/2010 ended in MMC at 19w due to Bloch Sulzburger Syndrome
    induced and delivered 
    7/2010 IF dr- Dx PCOS- Metformin 500mg
    BFP! 4/2011 successful birth- 12/2011- DS
    Trying for #2....

Anniversary 

• the first trimester i was pretty much off caffeine, maybe 1-2 cups a week. now i have a little almost every day. a couple of half cafs a week, maybe 1-2 regular small coffees (horrors!). honestly, i think it's fine. my doctor doesn't have a problem with it and i'm so much happier with a little caffeine.
    BFP #1: 1/27/11, mc 3/17/11 at 9w2d, baby measured at 8w3d, no heartbeat BFP #2: 5/13/11; beta #1: 382, beta #2: 7842. heartbeat: 103 at 6 weeks; 146 at 7 weeks, 165 at 9 weeks, 173 at 12 weeks, 158 at 16 weeks. BabyFruit Ticker
  • I pretty much stopped drinking caffinated soda and coffee once I got pregnant.  But recently I've been getting raging headaches.  When I brought it up to the doctor yesterday she suggested that I have 1 cup of coffee or soda with caffeine daily to help relieve the headaches.  And wonder of all wonders...it worked!!!  So I think since the doctor doesn't have a problem with 1 soda (or coffee) a day, it's probably ok.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image image
  • I used to drink a cup of coffee in the morning, order a coke with my lunch and maybe a coke, iced tea or milk with dinner.

Now I can't stomach the smell or flavor of coffee....so that's out.  I might have a little bit of a coke with lunch and maybe have a coke with dinner. I'm more aware of my caffeine intake so I do find myself opting for just water than I did before I got pregnant.  I haven't cut it completely out though.

• I'm usually not a big soda fan, but this pregnancy I've been drinking a cup of either Cranberry ginger ale or A&W root beer which are both caffeine-free.  A couple times a week I'll get a D&D half calf iced coffee.  I was also told to stay under 200mg/day.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dr.'s say that you can have up to 300 mg of caffeine a day. One regular coke has 35 mg, while Diet Coke has 45. I found this here (http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database)

I am not a big coffee drinker, but I LOVE Coke. I have at least one a day. I'm sure its not the healthiest drink of choice, but surprisingly Coke has one of the lowest caffeine contents of all soda drinks. I try to drink it in moderation, because I know all the other sugars and stuff are not healthy, but I don't worry too much about the caffeine. (You'd have to have 8 Cokes a day to get close to 300!)

But, like I said, I don't drink a lot of coffee (or tea). Other than Coke I'll have water or milk.

imageimage

• I drink one or 2 diet cokes a day. If I don't have caffeine I get a headache. I tried switching to regular coke, but I find it disgusting and way too syrupy. I did it with DD too and she's perfect! 
    image image

• Before I was pregnant, I drank about 3 or 4 cans of Pepsi One every day.  When I found out I was pregnant, I started cutting back to 1 or 1 1/2 a day.    But once the morning sickness and food aversions began, I suddenly didn't like soda anymore, so I quit drinking it completely.  

But...in the last month or so, as I've been feeling somewhat normal again,  I started getting soda again, but just when out to eat.  And then this week I also picked up a 2 liter of pepsi, and I have maybe a glass of that each day.   So, I'm drinking it again but I don't want to go back to how much I was drinking before, even once the pregnancy is over. That was too much.

~*Kimberly*~

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker