February 2011 Moms

I'm slowly starting to lose my mind. [vent]

I'm having THE hardest time getting DS to sleep. Naps are beyond horrible. At night it is getting pretty bad. He sleeps the whole night..but it's what time he actually goes to bed. He has always went to sleep later..between 9 and 10. He would always take a late nap and then go down for the night at 10 at the latest. Now it is getting later. The past 3 nights at least..he won't go to sleep until midnight. It is seriously wearing me out. I don't know what to do! He takes 3 naps a day. Tonight he ate at 5 and was tired anyway since he didn't sleep too much earlier in the day..he fell asleep probably around 7 or so. I actually woke him up a little after 9 since it was 4 hours since he last ate..and kind of hoping I could feed him, let him play and then get him to sleep earlier. Nope. Def not. I saw his tired cues..didn't want to go to sleep..played a little bit more..started getting a little fussy [not to mention I have to rock him to sleep all the time Embarrassed] He fell asleep and I put him in his crib..about 5 min later he was up. And I just got him to sleep like 10 min ago. It's 12:20 right now. WTF am I doing wrong?!?!? I'm trying so hard not to cry right now. I'm so tired from staying up so late and then having to do all this over the next day with him fighting sleep..not sleeping long enough and he's teething. I don't know what to do. I feel like such a crappy mom because he won't go to sleep on his own..I feel like I shouldn't have started rocking him to sleep and that maybe he is spoiled on that even though I know everything says they can't self soothe and be spoiled until 6 months. I just don't know what to do anymore. I try talking to his dad about it. That's pointless..he barely freaking sees him. I keep reading peoples posts about getting their LO to sleep. I just don't know how to even go about doing it. My schedule is so jacked up with work..that it's hard for me to be consistent with it since with me that's 3 people taking care of him in a day. Ugggghhh. Ok vent over..I kind of want to go cry myself to sleep because I'm so tired and just feel the tears coming. I hope somebody can help me Crying
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I'm slowly starting to lose my mind. [vent]

• our kids are a little over a week apart. I'll just write down my nightly routine with my LO and maybe it'll help you out. At 9 pm...the bath is started with that purple nighttime stuff from johnson and johnsons. he gets a five minute bath with lavender body wash rubbed on him and lavender calming shampoo. then he gets out...diapered. rubbed down with lavender lotion. jammies. and then I feed him on the couch and he's out for the night. he doesn't sleep through the night unless he's in bed with DH and I...but, if your kid sleeps through the night already...then that shouldn't be an issue. I think if you get into the routine of doing that every night...he might catch on to the fact that its time for bed and it will relax him and give you a bit of a break. Now, if DS doesn't get his exact nightly routine..he tosses and turns like a mad man. during the day...if he sleeps at around the same time every day...try a routine with him on your days off. I usually use rockabye baby lullabies (they're regular songs turned into lullabies) and DS usually gets the hint that its nap time and he needs to chill out and then knock out. 

hopefully that helps. good luck girl! 

• Sully is starting to drop his 3rd nap- skip that one and make his bedtime 8ish (or earlier). 7 is WAY too late for a last nap- I don't let DS sleep after 6, and he goes to bed at 8 (STTN, for now).
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecatycate:
    Sully is starting to drop his 3rd nap- skip that one and make his bedtime 8ish (or earlier). 7 is WAY too late for a last nap- I don't let DS sleep after 6, and he goes to bed at 8 (STTN, for now).

I agree with this.  I think his late nap is throwing off his night sleep.  Also, I definitely wouldn't wake him to eat!  At this age, he can go much longer than 4 hours at night without eating.  Good luck, mama...this too shall pass.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Thanks for the tips..I hope something will start helping. I def do agree that a 7 pm nap is way too late for him.
  • I feed him at 6:30/7. Wait about 30 minutes and then give him a bath. I massage him, diaper him, jammies and then he passes out in our bed or in his RnP and sleeps through the night. If he didn't eat as much during the day as normal, I'll give him one last bottle after his jammies.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"