3rd Trimester

Hip pain keeping me up ALL night :(

Does anyone have a solution for hip pain at night? I roll around ALL night and can't get comfortable when I'm trying to sleep. I wake up exhausted and then am worthless all day because I'm so tired :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hip pain keeping me up ALL night :(

• Have you tried laying on your side with a pillow between your legs?  Good luck to you!  I hope you find some relief and can get some sleep.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yep...

My hips have a tendency to roll pre-pregnancy and I think all the loosening of ligaments and such is making it worse. It feels like they are rolling under or behind me when I lay on my side (rather than staying aligned with my pelvis). It is especially bad on my left side :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• With DS I was the same way.  I ended up sleeping on the couch and it was fantastic.  We have a plethora of huge pillows so I made an incline to lean back on.  I mostly slept on my back, with the propping of tons of pillows so I wasn't laying flat at all.  If I did roll to my side the couch was so much softer than the bed the pain wasn't nearly as bad.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I also find sleeping on the couch helps. When I try to sleep in the bed, I feel miserable, my hips kill me, and I cannot sleep. But the second I hit the couch I am out. I think it's because I sleep kinda sitting up/propt up with a lot of pillows.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    BabyFetus Ticker

#1 BFP 12/31/10 EDD 8/14/11 Born 8/9/11

#2 BFP 3/20/12 EDD 11/17/12 M/C 3/25/12

#3 BFP 11/17/12 EDD 8/5/13 Born 8/4/13

#4 BFP 1/26/14 EDD 10/2/14 grow baby, grow!

• If you haven't tried it already, I would try some Tylenol to see if it helps you at least get to sleep. I'm all for not medicating when unnecessary but I know how bad the hip pain gets. I've found this pregnancy that one dose of Tylenol before bed will help take the edge off just enough that I can fall asleep. I wish I had tried it with my first pg but I was so hell-bent on not taking anything. I was miserable and exhausted for the last few months. Not doing that again if I can avoid it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Find a massage therapist. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I currently have this problem and I have found that stretching my hip muscles has decreased the pain. I also make sure that the pillow I put in between my legs is super thick. The more you can get your back and legs aligned the better. Either way it is super painful but try those tricks out and see how it helps.

Good luck to you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I too have been having hip pain all night and also especially on my left side. I have had 2 good nights in a row though and I think I found the trick....I lay on my right side and snuggle with my body pillow (not too much with my legs though, otherwise it is spreading my hips which hurts even more). Then I have a pillow or a bunched up blanket behind me that I can lean back on a little. If I lean back too much and the belly starts to pull, I prop it up with the body pillow. By leaning slightly backward all of your weight is not on your hip and you're not really on your back either. Good luck!
  • I have this too. I sleep between a king size pillow and body pillow so I'm supported on both sides. My doula recommended sleeping with my top leg further forward so that I'm not laying on my hip, but more on the front of my pelvis. If I can manage to stay in this position all night, I have no hip pain,
    BFP #1 05/11/10 Natural m/c 05/17/10 BFP #2 12/07/10 Natural m/c 12/12/10 BFP #3 01/21/11 Taking Prometrium, Baby Aspirin, and two injections of heparin a day Lightning Bug was born a healthy and happy 7lbs 14oz on 9/20/211
  • image ERINPETERSON:

I currently have this problem and I have found that stretching my hip muscles has decreased the pain. I also make sure that the pillow I put in between my legs is super thick. The more you can get your back and legs aligned the better. Either way it is super painful but try those tricks out and see how it helps.

Good luck to you!

Yeah, and if one pillow doesn't work, try two.  I'm short and I still need to use two pillows between my knees.  Aim to get your knee aligned with your hip socket (so your top leg is parallel to the bed).

• I have it too. I sleep with a body pillow and tylonel pm. Your ligaments are getting looser and your pelvis is starting to loosen up. Nothing to worry about.
    Lynette Kaitlyn Jones arrived August 23rd, 2011! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • CHIROPRACTOR!!! You will feel worlds better!
  • I had this same problem.....really bad in my left hip.  I see a chiropractor and slept with a ton of pillows and nothing was working until I went and bought a gel memory foam mattress topper. It was a miracle!! I heard about it on another board and it definitely worked for me =)  There was a coupon for it at Costco so it was $100.  A little pricey but worth the sleep!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards