Babies: 3 - 6 Months

When do you plan to start using a convertible car seat?

DD will still be fitting into her infant car seat for quite a while since she is only 12 pounds, but just wanted to plan for the future, so I have a few questions for you all.

Do you plan to use the infant car seat until LO out grows the height / weight limit?

or, if not,

Is there a specific age / weight, etc that you plan to transition LO to a convertible car seat?

Re: When do you plan to start using a convertible car seat?

• I plan on transitioning K once she can sit up well on her own.  Right now when she sits she's still a little wobbly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As of right now, until she within a few pounds/inches of the height/weight limit.  Neigher of our cars would work with a convertible car seat (I drive a beetle and DH drives a 2 door accord) so we have to get new cars along with new carseats. 

Not looking forward to it.

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We're aiming for September.  I researched and found the seat I want, it's really just a matter of buying it!!  I'm having an issue carrying L in the seat, and lifting him up into place so I can drop him into the base in my car... it's a lot of lifting with no leg strength behind it, only back/abs.  He's only 14.3lbs (as of a week ago at his 4 month appt, Lord knows what I'll do when he approaches 20lbs!!)  We'll switch after our upcoming Disney vacation (I bought a snap n go type stroller to use the infant seat with) and then when we're home, we'll start saving for the new one! 
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • E's infant car seat only goes to 29 inches and she's already 27 1/2.  I feel like she is already way to big for her infant seat but I'm waiting until she gets just a little bit better at sitting on her own before making the switch.  We're also slowly getting her used to riding in the cart (with a cart cover) by putting her in there for super short trips.  So far, she hates it.  I also put her in the convertible car seat every now and then and sit and talk to her for a bit so she's used to it as well. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With ds we started at 4 months... convertables are rated from birth so for me, it's not a big deal when you change them over size wise (or at least both my convertables where rated from 5lbs up)

He was just getting to big and the infant seat that we had was horrid in my car, the convertable was much better.

This time, Jo is still less then 12 lbs at 5 months, and only 24 inches so she has quite a while and I can still lift it easily. I'm going to use it in the base until she out grows it since it's a different better infant seat this time around (graco snugride, LOVE IT) and then transfer her to the convertable (Tru Fit) when the time comes to be rear facing until 2 yo.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • well my LO is already 16lbs 5oz (five days ago) and 24.5in long, so I purchased a convertible yesterday(Graco MyRide 65). He doesn't seem comfortable in his infant carseat and I have no space issues is my vehicle so i'm going to start using it as soon as it gets here. I also like that I can keep him rear-facing in this convertible up until 40lbs, because he is growing so fast and will probably reach 40lbs before it's safe to have him forward facing. He is just starting to sit up on his own, and his neck is really strong, but I want to keep him rear-facing as long as I can. This seat is the only one I've found that allows that up to 40lbs.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • skioskio member
    Most likely by 6 months, if not sooner. The seat goes up to 30 inches and she's already over 27 inches. But I'd prefer for her to be sitting up better before I do - which should be in another month or so.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • We just switched last week. We made the transition when he could sit well enough to go in high chairs and shopping carts when we're out and about, just because he was getting heavy and I was tired of lugging him around in the infant seat. He still fit in the infant seat but seems to prefer the convertible.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With my DS we made the move at 6 months. He hit the height limit.

With DD, we will wait until she can sit independently well. She's 14.5lbs and 26.5 inches so we have a while before she will ougrow it. However, it's a PITA to take a baby to a restaurant without an infant seat when they cant sit up in the high chair alone or out to run errands when they cant sit up in the shopping cart seat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have used a convertible carseat since day 1. We felt it was unnecessary to spend money on an infant car seat, that DS would grow out of. We have the Graco convertible, which is rear-facing 5-30lbs, and front facing for toddlers 20-40lbs. It fits great in DH's Silverado, as well as my Equinox SUV.
    Photobucket Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Beautiful pictures taken by the very talented Kaper
  • I will switch when DD outgrows it or becomes too heavy to carry, whichever comes first. With DS, he was too heavy by 7-8 months. I am waiting for a good deal on a high back booster for DS, and then DD will get his Marathon.

• imageracheldaigle46:
    We have used a convertible carseat since day 1.

Same here - in a Radian.  I had to fir three carseats in my backseat and the infant carriers were too wide.  

• imagekballou:

Do you plan to use the infant car seat until LO out grows the height / weight limit?

or, if not,

Is there a specific age / weight, etc that you plan to transition LO to a convertible car seat?

Next weekend.  LO will be 4 months 1 week.    He's outgrown the height limit on his infant seat, well, almost.  Hes almost 28in, and he's probably 18+lbs.    Seat goes to 29"/22lbs.   

Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • imageBeetleLinz1125:

As of right now, until she within a few pounds/inches of the height/weight limit.  Neigher of our cars would work with a convertible car seat (I drive a beetle and DH drives a 2 door accord) so we have to get new cars along with new carseats. 

Not looking forward to it.

You can find car seats to fit those two cars. I have a friend that drives a beetle convertible and her hubby drove a sebring convertible when their two kids were younger (now almost 3 and 6). They even took the beetle on a 15 hour drive for vacation with both kids in convertible seats. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"