3rd Trimester
Options

Measuring 4 weeks ahead

I'm a little freaked out...at my last appointment I was 36 weeks 3 days and I measured 40 weeks. So roughly 4 weeks ahead. My doctor has scheduled me for a growth ultrasound on Tuesday to see what's going on. I just looked up what all could be the causes for it and excess amniotic fluid could be one, but the reasons for having an excess of fluid are not good at all! I'm totally freaked out! Babycenter said that excess fluid could be the cause of a genetic defect bc the baby isn't swallowing the fluid like he/she should or that the baby is severly anemic and several other not so great reasons. I know I should be more positive but it's hard not to freak out and think of the worst possible scenerio.

Hopefully he is just going to be a big baby. Any 2nd time moms that had this with their first pregnancy and everything turned out ok?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Measuring 4 weeks ahead

• Options

I am in the same boat.  At my last appointment I measured four weeks ahead.  I do have excess fluid.  The good news is that the majority (75% of the time) there is no reason for the excess fluid.  If there was a defect with the baby, it would have shown up earlier in the pregnancy.

Your body keeps creating more amniotic fluid until 34 weeks and that when it levels off.  Your body may just be adding more.

I had excess fluid with all three of my pregnancies.  The only issue I have had is increased BH because my uterus is larger.   It may mean you will go into labor earlier.

Hope that makes you feel better. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Max born July 25

Big sisters Alex and Layla

• Options

I'm just visiting, but if baby was sticking his butt out or was in an odd position, he could measure larger.

Or, you could just have a huge baby. I measured ahead and had a 10.5 pounder. Imagine that. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had the exact same thing happen at my 34 week appointment, I was measuring 38 (after measuring right on every time before that).  I read all the same things you did and got myself all stressed about high fluid levels, etc.

I had a growth ultrasound at 36 weeks because of this and the baby was in the 50th percentile on all its measurements with normal/low fluid levels and when the Dr. measured me after the ultrasound he said I was now measuring 36 cm at 36 weeks.  The baby had just turned head down before my 34 week appointment and I think was just carrying high and big at that point and then had settled down further into my pelvis at 36 weeks, in fact I was still measuring 36 cms again this week (I'm 38 weeks now).  Definitely do not stress about it, I think its a really common thing to happen as the baby starts changing positions and settling down! 

• Options

Do I have an article for you! It'll put your mind at ease about the whole big baby thing. Click below.

CLICK HERE: Why Are Women Afraid of Big Babies?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    I'm measuring 5 weeks ahead and have been for a while now (and we know our due date is exact because we did IVF lol), at my growth scans my fluid is perfectly normal, baby isn't breech (which can cause larger measurments), i've only gained about 12 pounds, and baby is growing at a normal 50-75% range. My doc is always confused why I measure that far ahead when all is well LOL. Some bodies just do it!
  • Options

I was measuring between 3-4 weeks ahead around 32 weeks.  I had a growth ultrasound that showed he was in the 90% for weight.  Since then my belly measurements have actually come down to being 2-3 weeks ahead.  I've had to growth ultrasounds after that which still show him measuring on the larger side.  I would really try not to stress over anything.  There are tons of harmless options you might have measured ahead from your doc taking a liberal measurement, big (but healthy) baby, the way he was sitting, or some extra fluid (which necessarily a health problem). 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    One of my friends at work had this issue and her little boy was perfectly healthy when he was born.  I'm not sure of what caused the excess fluid, but i do know that they were going to do a c-section because of it.  They didn't want her water breaking and risk all the fluid getting the cord around babies neck.  She ended up having the c-section regardless because her little boy turned last minute and was breach.  Good Luck to you!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    are they just basing this off your fundal height? doesn't sound like it was from a recent u/s. try and relax, fundal height isn't always completely accurate, and even if it is, you may just be carrying a large baby! no need to worry yourself unnecessarily- it's a waste of time and energy. just wait and see what the u/s says next week.
  • Options
    With my first two pregnancies, they were right on with my count and the doctors count. However, this pregnancy my count and the doctor's seem to be off a few times.  I had my appt. yesterday thinking I was 31 wks.  She measured me and said I was 32.5 wks instead!  It's not as much as your difference, but it's still makes me gasp that I'm off on my count.  It's deffinately uncharted waters for me.  I just hope he doesn't decide to come on his big brother's birthday!
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Options

I was measuring 4 weeks ahead, but at my last appointment baby measured only 2 weeks ahead. My doctor said that babies can kindof "trick" us into thinking they are much bigger than they are by the way they are positioned. He thinks baby has settled into my pelvis better now.

I was super scared too, but just know that there are a lot of things that it could be that are not awful. At least you won't have to wait very long to find out. I hope everything turns out the way you hope!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"