TTC After a Loss

Give me the really reallys on TTA after M/C

A couple weeks ago at 7W2D since LMP I started bleeding and was diagnosed with a complete miscarriage in the ER. My beta on the day bleeding started was around 640 and 2 days later was 46.

I saw by doc 5 days later and he said that things stopped progressing much sooner than 7 weeks given my betas.  He suggested that we TTA for 1 month, but continue to move forward with H's SA and left it up to us when we want to go to the RE. He also gave me a script for a new set of betas in 2 weeks (3 weeks from my loss) to confirm levels are going down as expected.

::zipping up flame retardant suit::

I admit it. I have no patience. It took MH and I 9 months to get PG and I am 34 in a few short weeks. I don't really want to take a month "off"... I even think I have EWCM for the first time EVER today.

So, is it a huge mistake to not TTA this month. Really?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Clearly I could use them.

After a loss and 4 IUIs, a surprise BFP while on rest cycle due to cysts and "supercharged ovaries" brought us baby M.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Give me the really reallys on TTA after M/C

• Waiting a month does blow chunks, but I would follow your doctor's orders, since he knows what's going on with you. We are a bunch of internet ladies.
    BzeetyD = 38, Mr. BzeetyD = 44 together 12/02 married 9/08
    TTC #1 since 1/10
    DX: Unexplained/??? MFI issues

Our lil' lost sparks:
    5w3d loss 7/30/10 - EDD March 2011
    8w loss 4/15/11 - EDD November 2011
    8w3d loss 8/2/12 - EDD March 2013
    4w c/p loss 10/29/12 - EDD July 2013

Long story: trying on our own + testing testing testing with 6 rounds of Clomid, more testing, injectables + TI, laparoscopy - one tube blocked, 2 IUIs with Follistim...BFNs.
    RPL testing all normal, Karyotyping normal

Moving on to IVF.

IVF #1 April 2012 = BFN, IVF #2 June 2012 = BFP. U/S 7/23 = saw heartbeat but measuring behind. Follow up U/S on 7/30 - no heartbeat. D&C 8/2. Trisomy 12. IVF #3 Oct 2012 = Chemical Pregnancy

Phone consult with CCRM on 12/12/12 - ODWU 1/4/13 - both tubes clear(!) - AFC 24, AMH 3.2, FSH 9.6, LH 5.4, E2 25. DH has high frag rate but improved!
    IVF #4 March 2013 CCRM. EP protocol w/ Menopur, Gonal-F & Dexamethasone. ER 3/29 & IMSI, PICSI. 43R 13M 10F 6blasts bio'd. CCS testing reveals 3 normals!!!
    FET 5/31/13 of 1 4AA blast - thawed and expanded. 4dp5dt BFP.
    Beta 9dp5dt = 181, 11dp5dt = 427. 1st u/s showed a healthy heartbeat! EDD 2/16/14

After 4 years of hoping and heartbreak, our sweet little bean was born on 2/19/14
    We are so in love with her.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

Everybody is welcome!!!
  • :::holsters flame thrower::: :-) 

I really really think you should follow Dr's orders.  

Married my best friend 6/28/08
    DD born 4/3/10 BFP 4/9/11 missed mc @10w4d- forever loved
    BFP 8/21/11 EDD 4/29/12
    image image image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That's the iffy part. If your dr recommended one month and you get pregnant now, how will you feel if something happened, knowing you were "told" to wait a month.

I know it's hard (trust me), but one month, in the grand scheme of things, is not that long. 

• I really think you should follow doctor's orders.  You should give your body time to heal and recover, return to healthy levels of hormones, etc.  I do not personally understand your situation (it did not take us 19 months) but I would worry about the possibility of another m/c if you were to try again before your body was hormonally/ physically ready.

image image imageimageimage  

CFNBC after 8 losses and IF || History || My Angel Babies

• Honestly?  I felt exactly the same after our first losses.  Like WTF am I waiting for?  Let's get this going again!  I was told to wait a cycle and we always did, but I'll admit that we didn't TTA in the strictest sense.

If your doc recommended TTA for a month and you really don't want to, I'd call and ask why he says a month.  Sometimes it's for a legit health reason, and sometimes it's "for dating purposes."  Maybe he'll give you the green light if you explain your situation and why you feel like you don't want to miss a cycle of trying. 

Or, maybe he won't and in the grand scheme of things, 1 cycle off won't mean a whole lot anyway. 

Just my $.02, I would wait.  I always thought I was emotionally ready to get back in the sack and on the TTC horse, but in retrospect, I wasn't.  I was totally clouded by impatience and grief.  Nasty combo.  Give yourself and your body a moment to heal.  /my $.02 :)

Adoption Application submitted 12/11/11

Officially Waiting 2/16/12

MATCHED!! :) 2/20/12

~P/SAIFW * Pg/PALW~
  • No flames here Smile. I know TTA for a month (or even more) really sucks. It is important, though, to let your body and uterus heal before you get pg again. If it were me, I?d follow the doctor.

photo lexipuppy.jpg
    BFP #1 5/20/10 Natural MC at 5w4d 5/28/10
    BFP #2 11/3/10; BO at u/s 10w6d 12/16/10; Natural MC 1/7/11; D&C 4/21/11
    BFP #3 10/27/11 Please stick, LO!! 2/6/12 It's a Girl! Alexis Grace born 6/29/12
    "Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow, that is patience."  Let it Be (blog)My BFP Charts
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    This time I'm not leaving without you.
  • image EclairAngst:

Honestly?  I felt exactly the same after our first losses.  Like WTF am I waiting for?  Let's get this going again!  I was told to wait a cycle and we always did, but I'll admit that we didn't TTA in the strictest sense.

If your doc recommended TTA for a month and you really don't want to, I'd call and ask why he says a month.  Sometimes it's for a legit health reason, and sometimes it's "for dating purposes."  Maybe he'll give you the green light if you explain your situation and why you feel like you don't want to miss a cycle of trying. 

Or, maybe he won't and in the grand scheme of things, 1 cycle off won't mean a whole lot anyway. 

Just my $.02, I would wait.  I always thought I was emotionally ready to get back in the sack and on the TTC horse, but in retrospect, I wasn't.  I was totally clouded by impatience and grief.  Nasty combo.  Give yourself and your body a moment to heal.  /my $.02 :)

This is really good advice too Smile  I'd just call and ask, explain WHY you want to know! 

image image imageimageimage  

CFNBC after 8 losses and IF || History || My Angel Babies

• image noah-bear:

That's the iffy part. If your dr recommended one month and you get pregnant now, how will you feel if something happened, knowing you were "told" to wait a month.

I know it's hard (trust me), but one month, in the grand scheme of things, is not that long. 

I wholeheartedly agree with this whole response

VQ's Parade of Hotties:On an extended break...
    ~My Blog~Pinterest~TTCAL Blog~

One day ^this will happen with some of my best friends
    PGAL/PAL Always Welcomed
  • You should follow Dr's orders. A month does seem like a long time but in the grand scheme of things, it's only a month. And like PP's have said, if you were to get pg and then m/c again, you'd blame yourself. TTA sucks but sometimes it's for the best.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Started TTC June 2010
    BFP #1
    07/04/10. EDD 03/14/11. Missed m/c 08/09/10. D&C 09/27/10. }Casey & Jaimie{
    BFP #2 01/14/11. EDD 09/25/11. Missed m/c 02/18/11. D&C 02/24/11. }Dustin{
    TTA for 18 months and then TTC for 12 months
    BFP #3 08/18/13. EDD 04/30/14. Missed m/c 09/25/13. D&C 09/26/13. }Daylin{
    TTA until May 2014
    Jan 29, 2014 - RPL bloodwork done
    Feb 11, 2014 - SHG done
    Feb 24 & 25, 2014 - Progesterone check & karotyping done
    Mar 31, 2014 - Normal results. Progesterone & baby aspirin combo prescribed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic   

My Blog: The Canadian Housewife    PGAL/PAL Welcome    My Chart
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm of the opinion that it's ok to challenge your doctor. But that's not to say you should go against the doctor's orders, just call the doc and explain your concerns and see if they can give more information or if they're willing to go along with your plan.

That being said, even though I know I am ovulating this "cycle" after my D&C, I am going to wait until the next full cycle. Waiting a month sucks, but as my doctor explained to me, my uterus does need that little bit of time to rest so that I can sustain a healthy pregnancy. I totally buy that, so I'm waiting this month and TTA. As far as three months goes (which I've heard other people instructed to wait), I asked the doctor and he said that number was selected years ago, is abitrary, and not based on any medical or scientific evidence. Without other concerns, he puts patients on "no restrictions" for TTC after a full cycle.

Good luck to you with whatever happens! I know how you feel about waiting. It sucks.

• I get where you are coming from.  My doc told me to wait a month and that month was the only cycle that I O'ed.  Now, I'm going to have to do fertility meds to help me ovulate, since I usually only do that once or twice a year on my own.  I figure my 2 for this year are done - the one I miscarried, and the month we TTA.  Since you have had trouble TTC, I would at least call the doctor's office and ask if there is an important medical reason that you have to wait a cycle or if, given your situation, you should just go ahead and do it.
    image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Follow your doctor's oders.  If he/she told you to wait, there's a reason for that!  My doctor said wait 1 cycle so that's what I did.  I would never forgive myself if I hadn't waited and had another m/c.  If I have another m/c in the future,  I know it's not because I didn't follow what my doctor said.
    Anniversary

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Call the Dr and ask if you can start early. If he agrees then go for it, otherwise please listen to what he has asked you to do.
    BFP 3/14/2011 m/c 3/18/2011 @ 6w BFP 8/15/2011 Beta #1 12dpo 8/16/2011 61 progesterone 29 Beta #2 14dpo 8/18/2011 143 1st ultrasound 9/6/2011 117 bpm 2nd ultrasound 9/12/2011 142 bpm Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks everyone. It is really helpful to "talk" to people who have been there.

I know the logical thing to do is listen to my dr. And I know that one cycle is just that, one cycle. It sounds stupid, but its like I don't want to lose momentum or something.

I have a call into my doc to ask some other questions as well and I suppose I will add this to the list. In the meantime I will keep my pants on Wink

I feel ready and my body is acting ready and quite frankly my dr was so unsupportive and nonchalant about this miscarriage that he made me feel like it wasn't a big deal. Then again, maybe that is just his personality. I think I'm going to try someone else in the practice.

After a loss and 4 IUIs, a surprise BFP while on rest cycle due to cysts and "supercharged ovaries" brought us baby M.

• LaTi07LaTi07
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Second Anniversary Combo Breaker

I say follow your doctor. In the grand scheme of things waiting 1 cycle isn't that bad. I would rather wait the cycle then risk having another m/c. I couldn't live with the constant wondering if I had waited would that baby have made it.

It also never hurts to ask your doctor. They may so go for it, but if they say don't, then don't. We know it sucks! We've all been there (and some still are.)

My Blog | My Chart | TTCAL Shenanigans
    ♥BFP #1 "Spawn"- 2/23/11 | EDD: 11/1/11 | natural m/c 3/20/11 @7w5d
    ♥BFP #2 "Offspring"- 11/10/12 | EDD: 7/25/13 | incomplete m/c 12/14/12 @8w1d | D&C 12/21/12♥
    Current Status: CFNBC
    PgAL/PAL Always Welcome

• image EclairAngst:

Honestly?  I felt exactly the same after our first losses.  Like WTF am I waiting for?  Let's get this going again!  I was told to wait a cycle and we always did, but I'll admit that we didn't TTA in the strictest sense.

I was going to say everything Eclair did. It's good advice. Worth way more than $.02.

Waiting is hard (TRUST ME, I'm TTA until January. JANUARY. I'm 35. It took us a year to get pregnant the first time. 7 months the second. And now I'm in a six month wait before we get to try again, for a variety of reasons.) Your loss is still very new, and you may find that while you're feeling ready right now, in a week or two, when the shock wears off and the grief grabs you by the throat, that taking a month for yourself isn't a bad idea after all. It allows for all sorts of healing - physically and emotionally.

(((HUGS)))  I hope the month flies by for you. 

Suze
    TTC#1 since May 2009
    PCOS * Hypothyroid

Bean - BFP May 26, 2010. EDD Feb 3, 2011. Natural Miscarriage 8w5d - June 29, 2010.
    Pumpkin - BFP Feb 8, 2011. EDD Oct 21, 2011. Natural Miscarriage 6w3d - Feb 28, 2011.

DX Graves Disease. Radioactive Iodine treatment July 7, 2011.
    Cleared to TTCAL once again - March 2012.
    Femara started June 2012.

wedding 58310/365: Never disturb a sleeping cat...25/365: My favourite necklacewedding 323
    ?S/PAIFW? ?PAL/PGAL Welcome?
  • I'm with the others on this one---you should really wait, or challenge the doctor for his reasoning at the very least.

The whole 'not losing momentum' thing totally makes sense, I get it because I was there, too. Right after my m/c I was like, 'Whatever, I'm ready and want to get pg asap so screw TTA'. After some time (and more complications) I realized that I didn't want to stop and grieve for this baby. I didn't want to think about it at all and was basically in denial, thus wanting to get pregnant, like yesterday. I was obsessed with not losing my place in line for a baby and in reality, that mindset was incredibly unhealthy for me.

I am following my MD order to wait 2 cycles and while it totally sucks A-hole, it's probably the best thing for me mentally in the long run. Forces you to really grieve now so that the process doesn't sneak up on you much later. And plus, like the others said, if something DID happen the next time around and you didn't wait the cycle, I'm not sure about you but I don't think I could forgive myself.

Hang in there!

Another blogger! My Life in Transition.

Married 05.27.07
    BFP#1 - 07.07.09 | EDD 03.14.10 | Truman Anthony born @38w 03.01.10
    BFP#2 - 03.24.11 | EDD 11.29.11 | missed MC found @9w 04.26.11 | D&C @16w 06.13.11
    BFP#3 - 09.17.11 | EDD 05.29.12 | It's a girl!!!
    a rel="nofollow" href=" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    **my labor buddy is Sweepie412**

• I agree with pp...if you're feeling impatient, call your Dr. and ask him to explain his reasoning. If he has a valid medical reason, I would wait.

Good luck!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

PGAL/PAL Welcome

• image noah-bear:

That's the iffy part. If your dr recommended one month and you get pregnant now, how will you feel if something happened, knowing you were "told" to wait a month.

This exactly. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • megilbmegilb
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Love Its

Im totally jumping on the bandwagon and am saying you should wait. I was in the same boat as you...I was so eager to TTC again and i didnt wait. I ended up getting pg 4 wks after my m/c and had a chemical pregnancy. My doc thinks its because my uterine lining wasnt built up enough after the d&c.

I know one month seems forever, but id just try to wait it out...in the meantime...we can support you here!! Hugs to you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP#1 1/26/11 Missed m/c 3/4/2011 at 8 wks 6 days
    BFP#5 9/23/2013 EDD 6/5/2014...stick baby stick!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • DCWJesDCWJes
    2500 Comments 250 Answers 250 Love Its Third Anniversary
    The ladies here have always encouraged following Dr's orders. They have the degree, not us. I know its hard to follow their orders sometimes, but they did go to school and get the degree. My Dr has said that I have had to wait 6 weeks after my betas return to 0 before trying again (at that point, we go in and talk to him about where we are). The reason he gives is (this is how he said it) "the chances of miscarriage are greater if you do NOT wait." Every Dr is different on the length of time but its almost always the same reason. My Dr also uses the time for healing for me (and DH) mentally.
    I have short term memory loss. Do not take it personally if I do not remember you right away.
    No longer trying to conceive at all.
    BFP #1 12/1/02 DD born 7/25/03 
    BFP #2 7/23/10 EDD 3/30/11 m/c 8/17/10 We will always miss you Angelique Marie! 
     BFP #3 4.13.11 EDD 12.18.11 m/c 5/13/11 d&c 5/18/11 We will always miss you Sprout Ryker! 
     Lucky Lee (furbaby) born 1.29.12 
     Midnight Marie (furbaby) born 7.4.12 passed for unknown reasons 9.19.12 Missing my jumping bean. 
    image image
    image image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    ♥♥ Pg/PAL Welcome! ♥♥ 
    http://indulgy.com/post/4gbObIOiC1/bazinga
  • Thanks for your thoughtful responses. No rtn call from my OB, but I'm on the right track I think. Tta for just a few more weeks won't kill me. It just isn't my first choice.

• image noah-bear:

All of this. In the end you really need to be able to answer the would you be ok dealing with the what if's that would come with ignoring doctors orders and losing another baby question. We can't tell you that.

I agree, that one month is nothing. I wasn't even ready to have sex after a month.

Anniversary

PGAL/PAL Welcome

imageimageimage

• It's true - being told to wait really blows.  I'm going to be 34 in October and we had our loss in January.  It also took us 9 months of trying before we conceived, and now it's been another 6 months already with no BFP.  I think everyone here is being told the same thing... wait a month... our bodies and minds and hearts need to heal.