April 2011 Moms

Short frequent naps

DS sleeps 11-12 hours at night (not continuously, he gets up 2-3 times to nurse and goes right back down).  But during the day, he takes naps that are 20-60 minutes long, typically 30 minutes.  I can't figure out how to get him to nap longer.  He takes 4-5 short naps but I thought to get the better sleep, they should have 2-4 longer naps.  Anyone have any tips to get longer naps in?  He sleeps swaddled in his crib.
Lilypie - (7gcp)

Lilypie - (S3If)

Re: Short frequent naps

• I wouldn't sweat it. Nora does the same. Approximately 12 hours at night and four approximately 30 minute naps. Every kid is different, so I wouldn't get to caught up in what the "experts" say they "should" do, you know?
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (yDpE)

• We're going through the same thing, only worse-- today DD's longest nap was 30 mins, and she's been grumpy all day. I haven't been able to get anything done! Good luck to you!
  • Does he seem rested enough?  Like one of the pp's said, I wouldn't get to hung up on what they are "supposed to do."  Elizabeth is more of a cat napper whereas Drew did the 2 hour nap thing.  I've done basically the same thing with both of them, but they just nap differently.

You could try a few things - longer awake time, shorter awake time, swaddled for naps (I can't remember if you said LO was swaddled for naps too or just bedtime).  Ultimately, you could just keep doing what you're doing and LOs naps will change on their own in a few weeks.  Kids change their patterns so many times in the first year!  Everything is a phase.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think I read it's normal for some babies.  Unless this is new and your baby is now unhappy I wouldn't be concerned.