April 2011 Moms

Who is still on leave?

Just wondering...I don't go back until early August.

I hate to say this...but I'm getting kind of bored being at home. Don't get me wrong - I love DD with all my heart but being at home with a 2-month old baby is different than being home from work to be on vacation with no other responsibilities, obviously. So it's not like I can spend my summertime doing whatever I want - gym, beach, leisurely solo errands, etc.  I don't have a lot of help during the week since my parents live further away, my ILs are out of state, and DH often has to travel for work.

I try to make regular lunch dates with friends and do the occasional errand with DD along as well...we now have a little baby pool for the backyard that we discovered DD enjoys...but I'm running out of ideas for things to do here.

And of course I know once she DOES go into daycare, I'll probably have a wreck of a time transitioning b/c while I miss having more of a "life of my own" (something going back to work will allow) I know I will also miss that little face like crazy and be wondering how she's doing in someone else's care for much of the early days.

Who else is still home and how are you doing? What are you doing with your days?

Big Sister ~ Little Brother

Re: Who is still on leave?

• KMAXONKMAXON
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I was on maternity leave up to summer break, so now I'm on summer break until Sept 1.  I don't miss work at all and I'm freaking out about having to leave LO when I go back to school.   I try to fill my days, but there's only so much of The Price is Right to keep me company.   I do want to go back to work to use my brain and interact with adults, but if there were any way for me to be a SAHM I would quit my job tomorrow and start thinking about #2,   Staying home with my sweet LO makes me resent my job.
    But three things remain: faith, hope and love; the greatest of these is love. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • image KMAXON:
    I was on maternity leave up to summer break, so now I'm on summer break until Sept 1.  I don't miss work at all and I'm freaking out about having to leave LO when I go back to school.   I try to fill my days, but there's only so much of The Price is Right to keep me company.   I do want to go back to work to use my brain and interact with adults, but if there were any way for me to be a SAHM I would quit my job tomorrow and start thinking about #2,   Staying home with my sweet LO makes me resent my job.

All of this exactly!  I am trying to extend my leave a little bit longer so I don't have to deal with the beginning of the school year crap that I loathe. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i'm in Canada so i get a year. i don't go back until next April but i don't think i will be - DH and i have decided i'll be a SAHM until our kids are in school full time and then i'll consider a new career.

i feel so bad for you American girls who only get a short time with your LO's for mat leave...but i do hear ya on being bored during the day - there is only so much TV to watch cause i can't really be in the sun for too long with DS! not quite the same summer as last year!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I go back on July 21st and because I am switching jobs and starting new I have to work 2 jobs for 2 weeks in order to have insurance through August.  I have to work 4 12 hours shifts then 3 10s then 2 12's the first 9 days off leave.  My poor daughter and I are going to have a rough time.
  • So super jealous, I had to go back last week (thankfully only 2.5 days a week) but it sucked and was miserable. I love my job and the people I work with but being away from my DD was really hard. Guess we should have thought about a move to Canada before I had her! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am off because of summer vacation (teacher here). I am kind of bored too because there isn't a whole lot I can go do with a three month old. It's 110 degrees outside so we have to be inside... I have shopped and shopped and shopped because it is the only thing I can think of ;) I don't really want to go back in August, but I don't have a choice.
  • Im out on leave for 1 year. While I am loving it now, Im sure I'll be like a kid on christmas eve the night before I go back! I need some adult conversation and coffee breaks!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • i go back august 1st and am really not looking forward to it.  but we need my income and my benefits, so i have no choice.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I go back this Thursday, but only for a month. I despise my job anyway, but having this long (since 3/25) off makes me wish I didn't have to go back at all! I love being a SAHM.

"You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around - and why his parents will always wave back."

• Another teacher whose leave extended into summer. First day of contract is August 8th. :(

On one hand, I think it will be good for me AND her for me to go back to work (and for her to go to day care and be around someone other than just me), but on the other hand, I can't stand the thought of being apart from her. I'm going to miss her so much!!

However, millions of people do it, and it will be fine. So, I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to it, but I know it's coming, and I'm ok with it.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I have two weeks left of FMLA (DD was born 5/10), and I'm looking forward to going back.  I'm bored at home most of the time, especially with DH working and commuting almost 12 hours these days.  And then there's days like today when DD is cranky but won't nap, so she's on my boob half the day and asleep in my arms the other half.  I alternate between bumping, facebooking, and streaming TV shows.  If I can set DD down for fifteen minutes, I'll play frisbee with the dogs.  Occasionally we get out to the mall, the grocery store, Target, or to visit family.  Last week  we went to the park with SIL, who is 8 months pregnant.  But most days, it's a lot of internet and TV for company.
  • I'm a school counselor so I've got the maternity leave straight into summer vacay as well.  My first day back will be August 23rd - two days after Drew's second birthday!

I took a full year off with Drew.  Before he was born I was strongly considering leaving my job completely but decided to wait and see.  I'm very glad I did.  I was very surprised to find out that I'm not cut out for the SAHM gig.  I loved the year and wouldn't change it for the world, but I was excited to go back to work.  I missed adult conversation, I missed working with my high schoolers, and I missed feeling like I had an identity beyond "Drew's mom."  I'm a better mom when I'm working.

That said, I would ADORE part time work.  I wish I could spend more time with the kids and still be working.  Of course, part time counseling positions just don't exist!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I go back to school in August : (  Being at home with the baby is so hard, but I would definitely be a SAHM if my program weren't full-time.  I have a year of it left, then I will work part time so that I don't lose all my schooling.   
    The Bump ate my profile! Oh well, new and improved... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

...sigh... can't work my siggy.  Little sister born the day before big brother's second birthday.
  • image SarahL77:

Another teacher whose leave extended into summer. First day of contract is August 8th. :(

On one hand, I think it will be good for me AND her for me to go back to work (and for her to go to day care and be around someone other than just me), but on the other hand, I can't stand the thought of being apart from her. I'm going to miss her so much!!

However, millions of people do it, and it will be fine. So, I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to it, but I know it's coming, and I'm ok with it.

Same here, except I go back the 15th. I love teaching & we can't afford for me to quit my job anyway, but I know it will be hard to leave my DS! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards