Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

City Mini Stroller with Newborn in Winter

I live in NYC and am having my first child in November.  I think I have decided on getting the City Mini stroller because we do a lot of walking, it is lightweight and smaller than the other stollers (Uppababy and Bugaboo) that can withstand the snowy winters.  

Everyone says that I can use the carseat adaptor to attach a carseat for the first 6 months, but I am concerned that the baby will too cold and not protected from the elements if I am simply pushing them around in the carseat all winter.  

Does anyone have the City Mini and what are your feelings about using the carseat during the winter for the first 6 months?  Any advice would be helpful. 

A

Re: City Mini Stroller with Newborn in Winter

• Options
    I have a City Mini and love it, but I choose to get a snap and go for my first stroller. It was actually the same price as the adaptor. I live in northern Ohio so I was also worried about cold. I got a JJ Cole car seat cover. This goes over the car seat like a shower cap. Idid not get a car seat cover that also went under the baby, i had read some bad reviews about those so i just found one that went over car seat. I found this cover worked to be outside for just a short while. I realize in NYC you might need to be outside walking for a little longer than that though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We used one of these for the car seat last winter and DS was all snuggly warm. Didn't need to bundle him up, just plopped him in the seat, zipped him up and away we went. If you're out walking in the dead of winter, LO might need an extra layer, but shouldn't need to be overdressed. https://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/mobile_product_detail.jsp?asin=B0011YUIKG&keywords=Cozy cover
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    BeachMBeachM member

Ditto pp, we have the City Mini but used a Snap & Go at first (our infant seat was a Chicco Keyfit 30).  I also bought the JJ Cole Bundle Me and most of the time he was kind of sweaty when I took him out, so I'd say he was definitely warm enough. 

The City Mini is a really great stroller for little babies since it reclines all the way.  We started taking Finn on short, slow walks around our neighborhood when he was a few weeks old.  We put a Snuzzler (can't remember brand name) in there and his neck was supported well, plus it's fleece so it helped keep him warm.

I absolutely love the City Mini and have zero regrets about choosing it.

• Options
    I have a City Mini and used the car seat adapter for the first five months (DS is a November baby).  The JJ Cole cover (the shower cap style) kept him super warm.  If it was snowy/rainy I could also cover him with a combo of the shade on the carseat and the shade on the stroller.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We used the car seat w/ adaptor bar in the City Mini and put this over the car seat: 

https://www.amazon.com/Kiddopotamus-CozyUp-Carrier-Cover-Pink/dp/B000TW0R4I

It's lined in fleece and provides a waterproof windbreaker for them.  Worked great for us last winter - DD was born in mid-December.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    MrsLntMrsLnt member

The car seat will be the best way to keep the baby warm, rather than in the stroller, because of all the things you can put over the seat (like PP suggested).  We're not in a terribly cold climate and we rarely went out, so we just used blankets.

I had a double snap and go and got my City Select when we were on our way out of the infant seats. I wish I would have just gotten the City Select + car seat adapters from the get go.  The Snap and Gos don't drive nearly as well as a Baby Jogger.  

• Options
    I would buy a carseat cover that is thick for winter. We got one and it worked great. We were never out for long period but I never put a winter coat on Jay because he already got to warm with the carseat cover. If you had a jacket on your LO and the carseat cover I would guess that they would be fine. But you will never know untill you try it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"