Trying to Get Pregnant

PCOS questions

I don't know if this belongs here or on TTTC.  We haven't been trying that long, so I hate to offend them by asking my questions over there, but I'm lucky if I have one period per year (it's always been this way for me).

Anyways, I thought I read that OPKs were helpful, but then I've heard they can create false positives?  And that the Clear Blue is for someone with more of a "regular" cycle?

I guess what I'm asking is if there's anything I can do to try and pinpoint my ovulation (when/if), or do I just kind of keep trying and hoping?  

For those who have PCOS - are you on Metoformin and/or Clomid?  What were your cycles like beforehand and what are they like now?  How many months of trying did you have to do before trying these out?  I don't know that I'll need these I guess (we got extremely lucky with our son), but I'd like to be prepared. 

Thanks so much!  I apologize if these are stupid or repetitive questions.  It's all a little overwhelming.   If you have any other info you'd like to add, please feel free.  I appreciate it!

Re: PCOS questions

• I'm in a similar but different situation ;)

After getting pregnant and then delivering DS, I had an IUD inserted and stopped menstruating (though I had issues with AF pre-pregnancy also).

That said, I have ZERO idea when I O, so I'm charting my BBT and CM... I would start with that.

However, I'm curious to see what/if/when people say to start OPK'ing...

Thanks for asking! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am kind of in an inbetween stage as well.  I kind of lurk on both but respond when I think I can be helpful. 

I have slight PCOS.  My horomones are slightly off balance, with testosterone being elevated, but that's about it.  24 BMI, no skin tags or discoloration, etc.  Before BCP, I had 2-3 periods a year starting at age 16.  After BCP, I haven't had a period yet.  I started on Metformin in November and I do believe that is regulating me.  I will be able to tell from my temp tomorrow if I ovulated earlier this week.  For me, I believe temping will be the only way to tell if I ovulate.  OPK's just aren't for me.  I'm too thirsty to go 4 hours without drinking anything, I eat for a living and water is required between tastings.  So, I've tried them, but I don't rely on them, I just think it will be a perk if they work.  Ive decided to start with Metformin and see how it works.  September is my date to try clomid.  I can't think of anything else.  I hope this helps.

ME: 31 PCOS - DH: 32 Perfect. 
    TTC #1 started 8.2010. 
    BFP #1 3.2.11Blighted ovum, missed m/c, 4.3.11-6.22.11 Provera

BFP #2 Aug 2011 Clomid 50mg+Met missed m/c found 9w5d | cytotec 10.26.11 
    BFP #3 - CD36 - Jan. 2012 - 100mg Clomid + 2000met-  Baby Boy born 10.06.12 with 1 in a billion CHD. Perfect otherwise. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Open Heart Surgery @ 5 months old.Happy, healthy, and as normal as could be!  We thank God every day.EP/BF for 12.5 months

TTC#2 - November 2012

BFP #4:  O'd on CD25 (Aug. 2014).  DD May 6, 2015. RCS planned.
    Beta@14dpo: 184, 17dpo: 520.  44 hr. doubling time.  p4: 54U/S 8 weeks 1 day, 161 bpm
  • Loading the player...
  • I use OPK's and it's hit or miss for me...sometimes I will get a positive, and other months, nothing. I started Metformin in January, and my cycles were pretty regular for a bit, I have noticed that they are getting longer and longer each month.

There is a good website, it's called SoulCysters, they have a wealth of information about PCOS and TTC!

Good luck! 

• Thanks so much everyone!  All good info, and I'm glad to hear Metoformin tends to regulate!  I will definitely check out SoulCysters!

Best of luck to you all! :)

• ::Lurking from Jan 2012::

I have PCOS as well.  My cycles were always random.   I went on Metformin for a couple months which didn't work, so I moved to clomid.  I took one round of clomid at 50mg and I didn't ovulate.  The next cycle I took 100mg of Clomid and got my BFP.  Without the help of clomid and progestrone I wouldn't have had a "normal" cycle.  I would recommend temping and logging in FF as your first step and work with your Dr. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I have longer periods. I say longer because they are 2-3 months and I know some ladies go much longer. I would get multiple +opks in a cycle (days/weeks apart) This will be my second cycle of Clomid. The first cycle was fine and I had to trigger to ovulate. That cycle ended with a bfn but I am optimistic because I actually ovulated on cd19 last cycle. (instead of CD50-60)

I recommend finding a great RE. One that won't push anything on you until you are ready. Good luck!

• Thanks so much ladies!  I need to check and see if I need a referral for an RE (I don't think I do...anyone else have Aetna?).  Would my Gyn/OB not be able to work with me for these issues? 
  • :lurking from Nov 11:

I  was dx with a slight case of PCOS 6 months going off bcp . My only issue was wonky cycles .  My Dr suggested I go on low gi diet, exercise 2 hrs 5 x a week-  do lots of cardio  and go from there. I also was doing acupuncture for almost a year , which really helped my anxiety, help my cycles become normal and healthy  and the chinese herbs helped me O . About 4 months after starting my new diet and exercise regime I got my BFP !  

I loved this books !!!! 

The PCOS Diet Book: How You Can Use the Nutritional Approach to Deal with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome 

Baby-Making Bible by Emma Cannon- Even if I wasn't ttc it was a good read . Good luck !  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BFP ! March 2011 TTC since Jan 2010 Blood work CD 3 -normal Diagnosed with slight case of PCOS Nov 2010 S/A - High count , low morph and mobility Use acupuncture/herbs to regulate cycles
  • I am taking 2500mg of metformin. That has allowed me to have regular cycles, ovulate and get pregnant though it resulted in a miscarriage on my own. We start Clomid next month. OPK's work very well for me as well as temping. Without metformin I did not have regular cycles. For a large majority of women with PCOS met seems to do the trick to get them regular. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"