Trying to Get Pregnant

Abnormal pap

Well, this sucks. I had my yearly pap done last month and just got my results back. It came back abnormal. I posted earlier today about agonizing over whether or not to take a Class B drug for my psoriasis while TTC/pg, and now this.

I've never had an abnormal pap. Trying not to freak myself out, but here I am past midnight and I'm still awake. I realize it's a slim chance it's anything bad, but even that slim chance scary.

Has anyone here had an abnormal pap before? What is the next step like? My doc was describing it on the phone, but after I heard "abnormal" and "possible biopsy" I kinda toned out, so I'm not entirely sure what's next.

I guess the plus side is I'm getting this figured out BEFORE we've officially started TTC.

It was many and many a year ago, In a kingdom by the sea, That a maiden there lived whom you may know By the name of ANNABEL LEE; And this maiden she lived with no other thought Than to love and be loved by me. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image BFP: 9/24/11 EDD: 6/5/12 Natural MC: 11/6/11

Re: Abnormal pap

•  I had an abnormal pap once. I just had to come back in 6 months and the abnormality was gone. My body fixed itself. 

Most likely it just means there is something your doctor wants to pay closer attention to. For me, it was nothing big and went away on its own.

I understand your stress, though, because I was really scared and thought it would affect whether the doctor would tell me I could TTC. I hope everything works out for you the same way it worked out for me!  

4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• It's not always an immediate issue.  I had abnormal paps for 3 years (I was getting them every 6 months).  Usually, the next step would be a colposcopy - an in office procedure.  Mild to moderate cervical dysplasia happens from time to time and isn't anything to worry about.

I didn't need anything more than colpos for a couple of years - until it turned into cervical cancer - but all of mine were the highest grade dysplasia.  Because it was so well watched, after I had the LEEP done, I've had normal paps for the past 2, almost 3 years :)

From what I understood, as long as it's not related to herpes or HIV, you are good to go for TTC.  So if it's HPV, long term use of BC, or some other reason, it's treatable and doesn't negatively impact your fertility.

If you want more details, PM me, okay?

Photobucket
    July Siggy Challenge
    Anniversary
    TTC since January 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my first ever abnormal pap this year as well. I was so worried! Mine ended up being HPV and after a colposcopy and biopsy they determined a LEEP was in order. I just had the procedure two weeks ago. Luckily we found it early and took care of it straight away! Like PP said, it could be anything from just looks funny and is nothing, a little irritation on the cervix, or some dysplasia that could work out on its own. It shouldn't affect TTC unless its HIV or herpes, as mentioned. Just stay away from web md and google! They'll make you worry sick. Good luck and fingers crossed it's nothing! Abnormal paps happen all the time.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFetus Ticker image
  • I've had them too.  They're very common.  Went in for a colposcopy and Dr. took a biopsy, then had me come back for colpos (no further biopsies) quarterly until it went away on its own, which took about a year.  The colpos don't hurt:  the doc just paints something on your cervix, then looks at it through a special lens.  If everything looks fine, then you're done.  If any areas seem like they might be abnormal, the doc will biopsy them.

A biopsy will hurt a little, but its not bad.  Bring your own pad if you don't want to use the bulky ones they have at the doctor's:  if you have the biopsy, you'll probably have some spotting.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had an abnormal pap last august. When the nurse called to tell me, she told me it was inflammation which is pretty common. But the still scheduled me for a another pap 6 months later. Everything was normal and fine then so it wasn't a big deal. Try to relax, it could be nothing!
    Married July 17, 2009
    Parker Ellwood born May 11, 2012
    Baby #2 Due March 9, 2015

• imagetheandersons09:

Mine ended up being HPV

Good for you for owning that.  I was so amazed that the last thread on paps on here that I read seemed to be full of people falling all over themselves to say "but no it wasn't HPV, no sirree!"  The statistic is that about 50% of sexually active people in the US get it at one time or another, so it seemed improbable.    

Oh, and me too.   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagetheandersons09:
    I had my first ever abnormal pap this year as well. I was so worried! Mine ended up being HPV and after a colposcopy and biopsy they determined a LEEP was in order. I just had the procedure two weeks ago. Luckily we found it early and took care of it straight away! Like PP said, it could be anything from just looks funny and is nothing, a little irritation on the cervix, or some dysplasia that could work out on its own. It shouldn't affect TTC unless its HIV or herpes, as mentioned. Just stay away from web md and google! They'll make you worry sick. Good luck and fingers crossed it's nothing! Abnormal paps happen all the time.

This is my experience almost exactly, but I had the LEEP back in Feb.  II had an abnormal pap, was scheduled for a colposcopy a few weeks later at which time my Dr. did a biopsy.  After that came back, I was scheduled for the LEEP.  At the beginning of this month I had a post LEEP follow up appt.  which included another pap, and this once came back clear. 

GL, and just take things one step at a time!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • imagesheilatakesabow:

imagetheandersons09:

Mine ended up being HPV

Good for you for owning that.  I was so amazed that the last thread on paps on here that I read seemed to be full of people falling all over themselves to say "but no it wasn't HPV, no sirree!"  The statistic is that about 50% of sexually active people in the US get it at one time or another, so it seemed improbable.    

Oh, and me too.   

Yup, BTDT.   HPV is very common.  Getting HPV doesn't mean a woman has been sexually active with a bunch of people to catch it...just the "wrong" one. 

The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • imagesheilatakesabow:

imagetheandersons09:

Mine ended up being HPV

Oh, and me too.   

Agreed. Most men who carry HPV and are asymptomatic....women lose again! And if we are having a "owning party" -- I had it too. Same story as most of the PP, abnormal PAP and it went away in about a year on its own.

• imageannetastic071710:
    imagesheilatakesabow:

imagetheandersons09:

Mine ended up being HPV

Oh, and me too.   

Agreed. Most men who carry HPV and are asymptomatic....women lose again! And if we are having a "owning party" -- I had it too. Same story as most of the PP, abnormal PAP and it went away in about a year on its own.

Since we're claiming it...I had it too.  Sadly it took 5 years of abnormal paps every 6 months and a new GYN to get rid of it. I've had several colpos - they are nothing to worry about. Cony biopsy wasn't too bad, just a little cramping and I had to wear a pantiliner for about a week.  The LEEP wasn't fun by any stretch, and unfortunately there's no sex for a month after. I had to wear a pad for about 3 weeks of that time. I just got a call a couple of weeks ago from my GYN's nurse to tell me that my follow-up pap was normal! I was in shock...I've gotten so used to the call meaning something's wrong!

Hopefully yours will clear up on its own, lots of women do. Good Luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
    ~*Lots of love to my BFPB's: mel66, MercierGirl, DBoo0510, & NewbieLisette*~
  • Oh, and my doc said I should have no fertiliy worries due to the HPV or the LEEP, so that's great news! I have heard that some women who've had LEEP have trouble dialating due to the scar tissue, but once they remove it, the baby usually comes very quickly...just something to be aware of in case.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
    ~*Lots of love to my BFPB's: mel66, MercierGirl, DBoo0510, & NewbieLisette*~
  • I've had abnormal paps, colpos, and biopsies for about 6 years now, all due to HPV.  I remember when the doc first told me I had HPV I freaked out because I had never heard of it and found in my research how common it was.  This was the year before the big TV campaign and I didn't understand why noone knew about it.

My doc just watched me closely - she didn't want to do any LEEP or other procedures until after I had kids or until it was absolutely necessary.

On a good note - my results last month were NORMAL!  My body finally cleared the HPV (or atleast it is currently dormant!)

Good luck with your next appointment and try not to worry.  PM me if you want to ask about the procedures I had!

”text”image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for all the responses! I'm really hoping that it ends up being nothing, or something easily fixed, but at this point it's just the not knowing that sucks. There really isn't much I can do except wait for the doc to call me back with my next appointment.

It does make me feel better knowing that it worked out for most of you. Hopefully I'll be able to say the same thing pretty soon!

It was many and many a year ago, In a kingdom by the sea, That a maiden there lived whom you may know By the name of ANNABEL LEE; And this maiden she lived with no other thought Than to love and be loved by me. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image BFP: 9/24/11 EDD: 6/5/12 Natural MC: 11/6/11
  • I've had a couple abnormal paps come back...in fact I had to have a LEEP done about 2 months ago.  Not gonna lie, the procedure aren't unbareable, but they do suck.  But depending on what stage of dysplasia you have right now they may just try and let your body fight it off on its own.  This is a perfect example though of why it's soooo important to have your yearly.  Cervical cancer, according to my doctor is very treatable as long as it's caught before it spreads.  Odds are you don't have full blown cancer right now.  I'm going to guess you probably just have a case of mild dysplasia, maybe moderate.  Don't worry to much about it.  I know it's hard, I've been there. 
    DSC_0011MOD
    Married since June 2010
    TTC #1 since 04/2011
    3 abnormal PAPs and 2 colpo/biopsy since 09/2009
    LEEP 05/2011
    ASCUS PAP 08/2011 which means no PAP for 6 months!! YAY!!
    BFP 11/6/11!! EDD: 7/15/12
    1st u/s 11/21/11: TWINS!
    16 wks 1/30/12: BOY and GIRL!
    Schedualed c-section for 7/2/12 38wks 1day
    Went into labor 6/25/12 37wks 1day. Delivered two healthy babies
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"