Stay at Home Moms
Options

How much do you pay a "Mother's Helper"?

I am going to have a 15 year old neighbor girl come over and help with DS so I can do some work in my yard and get some projects done this summer. My hope is that DS will like her and we can eventually use her as a full fledged baby sitter. 

How much do you pay if you are home? Is it the same as if you are not home? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How much do you pay a "Mother's Helper"?

• Options
    I had a mother's helper for my daughter last summer (age 3 at the time) and I paid her $4 or $5 per hour.  I was always home.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I paid the 15 year old I have now used for 5 years $10 an hour for one child, but she was great, and turned 16 a few months later.  If I was home, I would only use a 15 year old who wanted to gain experience and I would pay them min. wage until I felt comfortable leaving them.  I used a mothers helper for DD's b'day.  I am hoping to turn her into a regular sitter in a few years, once she is a bit older and my kids are too (her mom lives 5 doors down).  She is 10.  I paid her about $5 an hour to help me out. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a 19 year old mother's helper who comes over 2-3 hours a week.  I pay her $10/hour.  She told me she'll take $8-10, and at first we were paying her $8, but even being home, I didn't feel right paying her so little for her time.  Now a 15 year old, I would probably pay $7-8.
    BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • Options
    9/hr ~ she is a grad student. I only use her during my 'busy season' (Jan-May) and she nannies for another family in between. So I am just supplimenting her income during her down time from the other family
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I feel so cheap-

I pay a 16 yo $5/hr to be a MH once a week for 7 hours. She is actually a daddy's helper, since DH is home when she comes over and I am not.

However, we are in a very LCOL area. We give her breakfast, lunch, gas $, and she watches TV (as opposed to cleaning or helping with other stuff) during naps.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    $10 an hour. I'm always here when she's here. We pay $15 an hour when we go out for the night.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageFashiongal1973:

A "mother's helper" means that you are in the house with the kids. They are there to help you out. They should (and do) get paid less than a babysitter (where you leave the house)..........

I pay $15/hour for a babysitter. I would not pay more than $8 for a mother's helper. I would say the range around here is $5-$8 depending on age and experience...... 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    imageHarrietNJMommy:
    imageFashiongal1973:

A "mother's helper" means that you are in the house with the kids. They are there to help you out. They should (and do) get paid less than a babysitter (where you leave the house)..........

I pay $15/hour for a babysitter. I would not pay more than $8 for a mother's helper. I would say the range around here is $5-$8 depending on age and experience...... 

Ditto, we pay our babysitter (a different person) $15/hour to come over one morning a week so I can run errands kid-free.   

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"