Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Is anyone using regular bumpers?

My DD is now turning herself in all sorts of odd directions when she sleeps. I came to get her up this morning and she was laying there with her legs stuck out of the bars (not stuck). I have regular bumpers I bought before I heard all the rage about how awful they apparently are. I'm pretty confident that my DD can move herself away from them if necessary, considering the constant circles she is doing all night long... but I was just wondering if anyone else was using them? I should probably just go buy the breathable bumpers, but I already have these! I'm so tired of draining my checking account at BRU... sigh.
Goose 2.19.11 MC #1 6/12/11 MC #2 11/5/12 Bubby 10.3.13
Rory- "Sarcasm doesn't become you"
Lane- "No, but it does sustain me." 

Re: Is anyone using regular bumpers?

• Just to give you a little more info...  The issue isn't all about them smushing their faces into the bumpers (though that's part of it).  The other part is that the puffy bumpers prevent the air from circulating well around them and some babies are more negatively impacted by the carbon dioxide buildup (causing them to stop breathing) than other babies.  Unfortunately, you just don't know which camp your own baby falls into.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I am one of those horrible mothers who is using regular bumpers.  Mj moves all over the crib and now will roll onto his tummy after he stirs.  He also has a habit of spinning around so that his head is right up against the bars.  Once he sits up I'm going to remove them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage image

• We used regular bumpers with DD, and she was fine.  She was a big time roller in the crib also.  As she got older she found ways to stick her arms and legs through the slots in the crib anyway.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket
  • I use regular bumpers. DD likes to turn sideways, and kick her feet against the side of the crib until her head is banging into the railing. I had them off at first, but she kept hurting herself, waking up and crying, and getting little bumps because of how hard she kicked. 

I do have a ceiling fan that I keep on to circulate air. 

• I'm tempted to use them. R is always spinning too and hitting his head on the bars. Once he hit it so hard that it woke me up and shook the crib (which is solid). He didn't seem to mind, but it makes me nervous. Plus his arms and legs are always hanging out the bars in the morning.

I'm curious to see the research on the lack of circulation.  I haven't ever heard that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We use regular bumpers and haven't had a problem. Annabelle is constantly rolling around and moving in all directions too.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Like PP's said, a lot of people use them with absolutely no issues.  Even though my LO moves around a lot, I still follow the AAP recommendation of no bumpers because that's what I'm comfortable with.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We started with no bumpers but once the boys were strong enough to move around in there we put on the breathable ones.  The breaking point for me was waking up to one of them screaming in pain with his leg caught in the bars.  I know there hasn't been a ton of research on the breathable ones but I felt much more comfortable with them then with the old-school ones.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • nattnnattn
    Fourth Anniversary
    We have regular bumpers that we had made (why don't companies make bumpers in hot pink?) before we knew the rage about breathable bumpers. We're going to use them but we also bought an angelcare monitor.
    *BFP #2 11/11/11 - m/c 12/12/11 at 8 weeks* *BFP #3 2/7/12 - c/p 2/16/12* *BFP #4 5/13/12 - Grow baby, grow* Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/j349/nattn/?action=view
  • I use regular bumpers and we have a fan to help with air circulation. Confession- My DD hasn't actually slept in her crib at night so I don't really know if it's a problem. Also DD likes to sleep with stuff on her face, like her lovey or will even pull up her dress so the end in touching her face or over her eyes. Yeah, it's weird. So, I don't know how the bumpers will work out when DD starts sleeping in her room.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Is there an age when the SIDS risk decreases or goes away?  My son has gotten his leg stuck a couple of times and bangs his head sometimes.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I used them with DD1 and use them with DD2.  No issues.  I have the thinner bumpers from PBK.

I also have a fan or window air conditioner in the room to circulate the air.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • i use regular bumpers
  • Get the breathable ones. I don't understand why anyone uses the regular ones-the breathable ones easily stop a baby from getting their limbs in the slats, but don't have the thickness that unsafe about regular bumpers.

This article was posted on my month board when it came out 6 months ago, and I think it's worth the read. Regular bumpers are just unnecessary, IMO. 

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-12-12/news/ct-met-bumpers-20101212_1_crib-bumpers-crib-slats-staple-in-many-nurseries

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image RyAnsMoMMy123:

I'm tempted to use them. R is always spinning too and hitting his head on the bars. Once he hit it so hard that it woke me up and shook the crib (which is solid). He didn't seem to mind, but it makes me nervous. Plus his arms and legs are always hanging out the bars in the morning.

I'm curious to see the research on the lack of circulation.  I haven't ever heard that.

This is the first thing I grabbed offline but I've read it other places too. The article talks about babies who are predisposed to SIDS because the part of their brain that tells them something is wrong isn't functioning correctly or is immature.  Most babies will move if they aren't getting the air they need but not all babies so they continue to rebreathe their own carbon dioxide and not enough oxygen.

http://www.firstcandle.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Rebreathing_Carbon_Dioxide.pdf 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• image starsmaycollide:

Get the breathable ones. I don't understand why anyone uses the regular ones-the breathable ones easily stop a baby from getting their limbs in the slats, but don't have the thickness that unsafe about regular bumpers.

This article was posted on my month board when it came out 6 months ago, and I think it's worth the read. Regular bumpers are just unnecessary, IMO. 

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-12-12/news/ct-met-bumpers-20101212_1_crib-bumpers-crib-slats-staple-in-many-nurseries

What don't you understand?!? I'm in the camp that had them off and put them back on after one too many nights of hearing my DD scream because she banged her head on the wood. I don't think breathable ones would help me. I suppose I should let her continue to hurt herself....Insert eye roll.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jlpevjlpev
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Love Its Name Dropper
    I made some & they seem to be working great!  I just think its up to u & how you feel about it.  We all survived & most of our parents had the old school stuff.  I'm happy I have them in there b/c DS moves & spins around a ton & I know his lil head would bang against the side of the crib.  he has been sleeping in his crib since he was 2 wks old.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Linz-ELinz-E
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Love Its Name Dropper
    I use regular bumpers.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards