3rd Trimester

Dumb question?

When you get asked the question of how far along are you...what do you say?  I feel like when i tell them I?m almost 8 months (because I?m 32 weeks), that's misleading because it sounds like i only have 1 month left.  We all know that pregnancy is 10 months, but I don't think most ppl realize that.  Do i just go with the facts and say my due date is 2 months from Friday, so 7 months?  I know how silly this question is, but i feel dumb every time I get asked because i don't know how to answer it.  Or do i just say i have 9 weeks left.  How are you handling the question?

BabyFetus Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth.
Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth".
~author unknown

Re: Dumb question?

• i give people my due date and tell them how many weeks i have left....well, depending on the day, i might tell them how many days i have left :)  but who's counting!
  • At this point I tell them how many weeks I have left till my due date.
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just say due mid sept. Though im really guessing late august but my edd is sept 14th.. sometimes ill give weeks (usually if its a woman who has had a baby friend or family) just depends.. sometimes the time left.. whatever sounds good that day!
  • I just say the weeks.
    Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image Mrs White:
    At this point I tell them how many weeks I have left till my due date.

This. Or "about a month and a half" to go. It seems like people get confused when you tell them you're in your 30th week/ something like that.

PM me for blog
  • I usually state the weeks or say "I'm due August 7." 
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image MrsSonny24:

When you get asked the question of how far along are you...what do you say?  I feel like when i tell them I?m almost 8 months (because I?m 32 weeks), that's misleading because it sounds like i only have 1 month left.  We all know that pregnancy is 10 months, but I don't think most ppl realize that.  Do i just go with the facts and say my due date is 2 months from Friday, so 7 months?  I know how silly this question is, but i feel dumb every time I get asked because i don't know how to answer it.  Or do i just say i have 9 weeks left.  How are you handling the question?

Because it's not true. You're pregnant for 38 weeks (the first two you haven't even ovulated yet - you're not really pregnant). My LMP was Sept 29, so I ovulated around October 13th. 9 months after Oct 13 would be July 13th, but I'm due July 6th, less than 9 months later. 4 weeks =/= a month, unless it's February.

I'm due July 6th, so June 6th I said I was 8 months and so on. That's really what the person's asking anyway (how much farther to go). I use weeks for people I know are familiar with it, because I know I prefer to know how many weeks someone is, partly because so many people do the '10 month pregnancy' myth so how many months frequently doesn't mean how far along the person actually is.

Owen (March 2007), Caleb (July 2009), Eliza (July 2011) and August (September 2013)

• image Mrs White:

This... lately I've been saying, I have 6 weeks left (or however many) its easier for them to figure out then saying I'm 34 weeks along 

• I usually say how many weeks I have left. This seems to prevent any rude comments about looking bigger then I am!
  • Once I hit "8 months" (32 weeks) I started telling people how many weeks I had left, instead of the # of months it had been, because you're right, it gets confusing otherwise.  And once you're within a month of the due date you can just say "the first" or whatever day it is, since it's coming up so soon!  :)
  • hocushocus
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 25 Love Its Combo Breaker
    I usually just say I'm due on 8/1. That is the clearest way to explain it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image KateB1984:
    image MrsSonny24:

Because it's not true. You're pregnant for 38 weeks (the first two you haven't even ovulated yet - you're not really pregnant). My LMP was Sept 29, so I ovulated around October 13th. 9 months after Oct 13 would be July 13th, but I'm due July 6th, less than 9 months later. 4 weeks =/= a month, unless it's February.

I'm due July 6th, so June 6th I said I was 8 months and so on. That's really what the person's asking anyway (how much farther to go). I use weeks for people I know are familiar with it, because I know I prefer to know how many weeks someone is, partly because so many people do the '10 month pregnancy' myth so how many months frequently doesn't mean how far along the person actually is.

All of this.  Why anyone thinks 40 weeks = 10 months is beyond me.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If it is a woman with kids I tell her how many weeks I am at (33 weeks) and for everyone else I usually just tell them how many weeks I have left.
  • I usually just say how many weeks are left. It's easiest.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I am talking to another mom, I tell them how many weeks I am. If I am talking to someone whom I don't know too well, I tell them how many weeks I have left or my due date (in my case, my scheduled c-section date now).

Why in the world does anyone think pregnancy is 10 months? There is only 1 month out of the 12 that has 4 weeks. All other months have 30 or 31 days in them. You are not 8 months pregnant if you are 32 weeks along.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i either say how many weeks or when i'm due. because most pregnant women go by weeks, not months, right? i actually got asked this at a restaurant the other day by our server, and she asked how many months i was, i had to stop and think because at the time i was about 33 1/2 weeks, and i don't ever really think about my pregnancy in months - just weeks. i ended up just telling her how many weeks. anyway, this girl obviously didn't know much about pregnancy because she looked at me like i was a nut for not knowing how many months i was, and later i overheard her talking about me to one of her co-worker.s maybe it's hormones, but i was so irritated, had a hard time biting my tongue! Angry
  • So if I like the person and don't mind explaining myself to them...I usually round to the nearest half month... so if i were 33 weeks, I would say 8 and a half months. If they make a statement about me only having a month left, I nicely remind them that pregnancy is 10 months...

If I dont like them I give them a short answer and keep it moving. lol

• image CatahoulaMom:

image Mrs White:

This. Or "about a month and a half" to go. It seems like people get confused when you tell them you're in your 30th week/ something like that.

I have been wondering about this...I will give ppl my weeks but I wonder if it leaves them confused. But no one has ever asked me to clarify, so I'm not sure?? Sometimes I just give my months but it's easier for me to keep track in weeks instead of months.  LOL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Thitsaboyblue Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • image KateB1984:
    image MrsSonny24:

"You're pregnant for 38 weeks (the first two you haven't even ovulated yet - you're not really pregnant)." 

I have always thought that it's really stupid to even count those 2 weeks! Why do OBs do that? You're not pregnant so why count it?! Also, I knew my date of conception but they still went by LMP....whatever.... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Thitsaboyblue Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • I don't worry that much about it. Honestly, most people are just asking to be nice and have no real connection with either you or the baby if they don't know by now when you are due. I've found it's just easier to say the month that I'm in and call it good.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm 31 weeks & I tell people I'm almost 8 months pregnant. If they ask, I tell them my due date, too.
    pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker
  • I tell them weeks and let them sort it out for themselves.

Breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering, Baby Wearing, Co-Sleeping, SAHM...Like a boss.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards