Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

ikea cribs?

I was looking on the Ikea website and saw that they have basic cribs for REALLY cheap.  Has anyone on here used one of their cribs?  How is the quality?  Are they safe?

My little goofball born 1/2012
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: ikea cribs?

• Options
    We have the Ikea Gulliver and it's been great so far.  We've been using it for a year with no issues.

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

• Options
    I haven't used one yet, but I am getting the Somnat crib in green. I have heard terrific things about them quality and safety wise.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks so much!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We have the Somnat crib in green. I'm a FTM, so I haven't used it yet, but it seems very solid and durable. It's super cute and the cost is tough to beat.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

Cribs themselves are safe when paired with the correctly sized mattress: Baby Bargains has been giving the Gulliver line an "A" rating over the years, but the Leksvig line is harder to fit with a non-Ikea mattress.  There have been no recent recalls on Ikea cribs.

They are cheap, simple and practical, but you should really evaluate them in person before settling on it. Compared to a traditional crib, they are smaller, shorter and simpler without the fancy trims or bells and whistles.  And yes, they look cheap and it's not really something that you will want to keep beyond a few years.

Personally I don't think of nursery furniture as an heirloom or an investment and I live in a small space, so I think the Ikea crib will suit us well.  I'd rather save the money for a college fund or real furniture down the road.  

• Options

imageellewoodsSC:

And yes, they look cheap and it's not really something that you will want to keep beyond a few years.

I don't think they look "cheap" at all.  We have a small space and were looking for a modern-looking crib with simple lines.  We decided on the birch version of the Gulliver and I think it looks fine.  It's made of solid wood and converts to a toddler bed.

OP, I definitely would not equate the simple look of the cribs for cheapness at all!

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

• Options
    Thanks everyone.  We definitely like the modern look and plan to buy an ikea crib mattress as well.  I did some more searching online and haven't found anything bad about them.  I think I may have found our crib. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagesuperned:

imageellewoodsSC:

And yes, they look cheap and it's not really something that you will want to keep beyond a few years.

I don't think they look "cheap" at all.  We have a small space and were looking for a modern-looking crib with simple lines.  We decided on the birch version of the Gulliver and I think it looks fine.  It's made of solid wood and converts to a toddler bed.

OP, I definitely would not equate the simple look of the cribs for cheapness at all!

We specifically got the gulliver because of it's simpleness. I don't think it looks cheap either.

We bought the gulliver because we were looking for a plain crib with no frills that had great reviews. I personally know a few people that have used it for their LOs and loved it.

Mom to:
    Miles (6 year old Maine C00n mix), Boots (5 year old Lab mix), Darla (4 year old GSD/Collie mix), Frankie (1.5 year old DSH mix), Peanut (15 months old - 09/11), and Bean (arriving Feb 2013).
  • Options
    I love the simple look of the ikea cribs, especially the gulliver. It gets great reviews. But, it was too short for us. If it was taller, it would be our crib.
    Infertility, Life & Loss Blog
    imageimage
    Love & luck to my 3TC girls. Congrats to Omega-The boys are here!
    If there's one thing I've learned while waiting my turn,
    it's that in each life some rain falls but you also get some sun.
    After 2 years & 2 losses, our little man arrived 8-2011.
  • Options
    We have the Ikea Gulliver in white and we LOVE it.  It's perfect for us - looks good, simple and modern.  DD has been sleeping in her crib since she was about 4 weeks old. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree, although I haven't yet purchased the Ikea Gulliver yet for baby #2 I think it looks very simple and modern but would never describe it's look as cheap. To me it looks similar to the sleek looking cribs made by Bloom Baby- except I can actually afford the Ikea Gulliver.
  • Options

I actually like the Ikea Gulliver and intend to get for my LO.  I don't believe that its going to function any worse than the typical crib option and I have no concerns about the safety or durability.  From the standpoint of aesthetics, I do stand by the "looking cheap" comment.  Although most of the Gulliver construction is solid, for $99, you get the amount of wood you paid for:  thin wood railings and narrow round slats give it a "baby jail" look and the exposed metal hardware is externally visible on the sides in a typical DIY Ikea fashion.  You won't see that on a designer or a nice crib at the baby stores.  If you place them side by side, the difference is quite obvious, most standard cribs are much taller, have more mattress height settings and have a much more solid presence to them.  I like modern design, and if I wanted to spend much more on a crib, I'd be happier with something like this:

Babyletto $400

Ikea Gulliver $99

But as I've said in my original response, I'd much rather pocket the $300 difference for a college fund.

• Options

Part of having a crib is making it "fit" your theme - our DD's nursery is bright colors (we're anti-pink, for the most part).  Her room has changed a lot, but this was after I got the room set up originally:

• Options

I have the Leksvik crib and love it. The quality is good, even with LO kicking the ends of it every night when he gets fussy. The real durability/quality test will be when we convert it to a toddler bed in a year or so.

It's Ikea, so it's not custom furniture quality. I was looking for a smaller crib that would fit in our bedroom at a good price. And thats what I got.

I don't think Ikea would knowingly sell a crib that has safety concerns. I haven't read anything in regards to the cribs being unsafe and I haven't seen anything with mine that concerns me.

It is a PITA to put together, lol!

Edit: I did purchase the matress (Vyssa Vinka) and crib sheets (Len) because I did read some where about people getting matresses and sheets that don't fit in the cribs properly and causing safety concerns.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Baby isn't here yet so we haven't used it but we have the Somnat crib in green and absolutely love it! The color is fun and their cribs get great safety ratings. Also since I didn't spend my entire budget on the crib I have more to spend on other fun nursery items. Also others commented about mattresses which was a concern for us as I didn't feel like the IKEA mattresses were firm enough but we found a crib mattress at Target.com that fits great and is very firm for baby. Just check measurements of crib and mattresses to ensure good fit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"