Photography

Not so newborn photo session (?)

I'm taking photos for a friend this weekend who has a 4 month old daughter (she is getting closer to the five month mark now). This will be my first time working with this age (other than photos I have done for my own daughter) and I'm a little stumped on how to add variety to the photos. We decided to take them outdoors, at her home (with possibly a few mixed in that are indoor shots). I've got a few ideas for the indoor shots incorporating her nursery, but outdoor I'm running low.

I was thinking of bringing various blankets and switching those out, maybe a weaved basket as well to prop her in? She (as far as I know) is not yet sitting so I am guessing I'll need to do mostly propped poses and poses of her lying down/pushing up. I feel like my creative bone is missing right now and I am drawing a blank.

Can anyone suggest other props I could take along, or ways to add a little variety? Thanks so much!

(note: I am not a pro, strictly a hobbyist who has been working on her craft for a few years..I always worry about violating board rules, hope this post is ok!) 

Re: Not so newborn photo session (?)

• I would suggest going through Flickr for some ideas. IMO bringing along tons of props end up distracting from the baby, but I do like the nursery idea. As far as outside, I would focus on the baby and less on what you want to incorporate in it (like baskets and flowers, etc.). Good luck!
  • image kmeek19:
    I would suggest going through Flickr for some ideas. IMO bringing along tons of props end up distracting from the baby, but I do like the nursery idea. As far as outside, I would focus on the baby and less on what you want to incorporate in it (like baskets and flowers, etc.). Good luck!

Thank you! I will browse through flickr that is a great idea! I did a little google image searching and didn't come up with much. I definitely want to keep this simple, and I know the Mom isn't looking for much. Just some sweet shots of her girl.

I'm excited to try outdoors though, I haven't yet done that with a child this age! I more so am wanting to bring blankets just to keep her from being directly on the grass. I just don't want it to look "out of place". I was thinking of sticking with just a simple ivory blanket and working with that?

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions! 

• I am a big fan of the tutorials on I Heart Faces. I have seen some tips over there for photographing older babies. Have fun with this age! I think babies are such dolls around 4-6 months!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards