July 2011 Moms

36 weeks....and NOTHING! Grrrr.....

I had my first internal last week for my 36 week checkup...and NOTHING! Dr said she is still high up and not even thinned, dialated, nothing :( My body is in so much pain all the time with my carpal tunnel and extreme swelling that I just need to be done! Then I asked my Dr. if she is at least in position...but she said she couldn't tell me and we'll find out next week with my sono. I hear all the time the Drs can figure out at least how they are positioned with just feeling the stomach. Why won't mine tell me! And I think at my 37 week check up... I might ask to be induced as soon as they can...just to keep my sanity!

Re: 36 weeks....and NOTHING! Grrrr.....

• You do realize that dilation/effacement are NO indication of when you will go into labor...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Even though its frustrating to not be any where progressed at 36 weeks its normal to go to your due date or past it. Seriously just depends on your body. LO could not even drop/be in position until you start hard labor.

• I know you feel rotten (I just started that stage, too!), but I promise it's so worth it to keep baby in as long as possible - DS was on the small side and it resulted in SEVERAL weeks of him being skinny, cold and hungry after he was born - lots of anxiety and lost sleep for me (you have to do super-frequent feedings to help them get their weight up).  I know it's rough to think of being pregnant for another four weeks, but knowing what I know now, I would for sure have traded an extra 2-3 weeks of being pregnant & miserable for 2-3 months of DS AND me being miserable.

Try to think of your swelling and carpal tunnel as a "down payment" on new mama (and new baby) happiness later this summer!

Also, FWIW, two days before I went into labor with DS, my OB said she saw absolutely no progress, and we'd probably end up having to induce - so you never know :).

• Being dilated doesn't necessarily mean squat.  I've been 1 cm for the past three weeks and they said I can stay this way for the next several weeks.  Also, I'd do some research into the risks (such as increased c-section rate) of being induced if it's just for your own comfort. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I just had my 39 week appt this morning and cervix is still hard and not dialated and babyis finally starting to make it's way into my pelvis....not discouraged though...baby will come when it's ready and everything can happen very quickly I hear.
    Pregnancy Ticker

<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I understand that you are frustrated and in pain, but your baby needs to keep cooking and that is what you need to focus on now.
  • Zip it!

Yeah I'm not sure if you've seen it, but there's a girl on this board that is/was like 4cm for WEEKS. WEEKS!!!!  It all means nothing until labor begins.  I'm not even sure why they do internals. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You can go into labor without any dilation or effacement started.  At 36 weeks, your baby would be considered NOT FULL TERM YET.  As anxious as you are to deliver - your baby's lungs are not mature yet.

Everyone gets uncomfortable towards the end/

• image indytara:

Zip it!

Yeah I'm not sure if you've seen it, but there's a girl on this board that is/was like 4cm for WEEKS. WEEKS!!!!  It all means nothing until labor begins.  I'm not even sure why they do internals. 

My friend just had her baby in April and she walked around 4cm for 1 month! 

Pregnancy Ticker

<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been 2-3cm for two weeks. Like PP have said it means jack squat. Just wait a few weeks the pains and mucus get even more frequent. ;)

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

image image

• OP, you might have 5+ weeks left depending on your doctor's date to induce... focus on the positives or you are going to be miserable for the rest of your pregnancy! 
    __________________________________________________________________________________________imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • ....you aren't even full term yet.  Chill out.
  • Yea--- we're all pretty miserable at this stage. And as much as I want my LO here so I can meet her. I'm not going to evict her via early induction. First, I doubt your doctor will even do that and really is 3 more weeks going to kill you? I'd feel like a horrible mother if I was induced 3 weeks early because of some minor discomfort when obviously baby isn't ready to be here. Chill the eff out. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Effacement and dialation or not, baby will come when baby is ready.  It all could happen very quickly.  Not everyone goes over an extended period of days or weeks before delivery.

Instead of focusing on how long you still have to wait, try and think about all you've overcome already.  36 weeks compared to 3  to 5... this should be easy enough.  You can do it.  Because you really have to.

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • HmmWhat were you expecting at 36w? As pp said, it could be another 5+ weeks. Chillax.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • I'm 36 weeks as well and I can totally understand feeling uncomfortable and ready to be done. Remember that most first pregnancies go past 41 weeks; I routinely tell myself to be patient. One thing that has helped is to remind myself that these next few weeks are the last time I get to have my LO all to myself. At this time, I get to carry him with me everywhere, and enjoy his movements and the closeness . After he's here, I will have to share him with everyone. Sounds selfish but it's true, and this thought has really helped me to enjoy these last remaining moments with my inside baby, regardless of the discomforts. Hang in there.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

[center]image[/center]

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

[center]My BFP Chart[/center]
  • Ummm... you DO realize that the gestational period is 40 weeks, right?  And your EDD is just that, an ESTIMATE. 

News flash: we are pretty much ALL miserable at this point.  But we do what we have to do to keep our LO's growing 'til the perfect possible moment.  You can't rush nature!

BabyFruit Tickerimage
  • Oh god.... I'm almost 39 weeks and I have nothing going on down there either other than what the doctor thinks is a 9-10 lb baby that doesn't want to come out quite yet! Quit your bitching and let your baby be born when he or she is ready!!!!
  • You're not due for another month, starting the "i'm not progressing" stuff this eaely is just setting yourself up to be disappointed. Instead, bank on being pregnant for 41 weeks and if yoi go before that it will be a bonus.
  • I agree with all the PP saying chill out. Seriously, you had to know going into this that pregnancy is not all fun and games. I'm not even going to comment on you wanting to be induced for your own comfort....  
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • MUD from a troll/AE.

Please keep your heads, July moms.  You should expect posts like this pretty often from here on out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh I know it's best to wait till she's ready....but was wishful thinking! :) I know most you you are further along than me...and aren't complaining...but if you've had a not so plesant pregnancy, it would just be exciting to hear that there is some progress goin on! I know I'm in for the long haul too! Just hoping for her to come soon! (but be healthy too)

• I truely sympathize, but the other posters are right, it is better to have a week or two that are absoultely miserable than issues when LO is born, it is hard to hear when so many things you read tell you that a 36-37 week baby will be healthy, but it is not always the case. I really do know what you are talking about I developed Pre-E last time and was swollen beyond recognition, seeing spots, head aches the whole bit, and they kept me pregnant in the hospital until 37 weeks when it became life threatening that I needed to deliver, and as much as I remember thinking the same things you are thinking, when they really went over the potential risks to the baby even at 37 weeks, the thought of her having problems was terrifying to me. I was lucky and she could breath on her own, but we did have latching problems, and she had trouble gaining weight fast enough for a few weeks even at 37 weeks. The truth is that in about 4 weeks it will all be over and when you hold a healthy baby in your arms the pain you have gone through just doesnt matter. Good luck and hang in there!! Try not to get your hopes up too much your doctor probably wont let you induce with out a medical reason until after your due date.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am in a lot of pain, too.  I've actually been on short term disability since 20 weeks due to extreme back pain.  I've been to L&D twice just because of the back pain.  Some days I couldn't walk.  Here I am at nearly 39 weeks with no "progress" so far and I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.  I went into this knowing pregnancy is typically 40 weeks.  I didn't even expect any dilation or "progress" at 36 weeks.  You could be dilated and be nowhere near delivery, anyway.  For me the progress is having my baby in there for all the time he needs.  I've had a ton of u/s and if I had had him at 36 weeks he would have been 5lbs.  No thanks!
  • Well I'm 39 weeks and have made no progress either. So piss off.
    [center]Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    [/center]

[center]My BFP Chart[/center]

• I understand your frustration being not even full term and super uncomfortable, but for your sanity, you need to keep reminding yourself of your due date and how most FTMs go late.  My Dr. told me I'd be lucky to make it to 37 weeks with my short cervix, but trust me, I have July 27th in my head.  Also keep in mind that the longer you keep your LO in there, the better it is for your LO.  You're a mom now, LO comes first.
    A Cubed Blog - our family photography blog

surprise BFP: 11/15/10. EDD: 7/23/11.  PTL 25w, bedrest + progesterone |DD born 7/30/11 

BFP #2:  8/6/12 EDD:4/15/13 ; PTL 32w, progesterone +steroids | DD2 born 4/8/13

TTC since October 2014, BFN 11/6/14

• These moms are rough...wowzers! I understand how you feel though. I feel exactly the way you are, but just know, its better for you to be in pain than LO, if born too soon...don't worry the light at the end of the tunnel is near, just another month.
  • image GracieLou Freebush:
    ....you aren't even full term yet.  Chill out.
    This.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards